Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6037965 times)

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #21195 on: January 14, 2018, 09:34:36 am »
More tidying in the sewing room.  It's very hard to find places for things when you have thrown out a cupboard.  :-))  The local op shop will do very well this week.

Love a declutter  ;D
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #21196 on: January 14, 2018, 09:44:45 am »
My 95yr old aunt is moving from a retirement unit into the hostel on Thursday. She has been storing some of her grandaughters things in her garage while she travels. So DH and I moved all the boxes down to her mum's place. For someone that lives a very nomadic life, she has a lot stuff.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21197 on: January 14, 2018, 11:19:02 am »
We took quite a load to the op shop last week. Most of it was clothing but some of it was kitchen stuff I haven't used for years.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21198 on: January 15, 2018, 01:03:55 am »
Well done Michele, I imagine your aunt was quite worried about not being able to help her GD out with the storage, good to hear a solution has been found.
That must have been hard to do Margaret, I find that as soon as I get rid of something I need it!
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #21199 on: January 15, 2018, 08:49:10 pm »
I think that the amount of stuff we accumulate has a lot to do with our age .  We buy and we inherit stuff.   It is good that things go to op shops as they are then useful for someone else.  I was told on Sunday that there is an inner city suburb that has a cupboard in the Main Street where people can put small things they don’t need and anyone can take them.
I was also told that another person put unwanted cook books in the recycling bin. Oh horror.
Today we are eating out. More shop surfing.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #21200 on: January 15, 2018, 10:39:52 pm »
That is so true Chookie. We now have stuff from three households here ATM. I am having trouble decluttering as I keep thinking that our "children" may need it when (maybe that should say if  :-)) ) they ever move out. But maybe they will be like so many people who think that their house should look like something from Vogue or Home Beautiful from day 1 and they won't be interested in preloved stuff. So I keep procrastinating because I can't make up my mind.

Eating out and shop surfing. What fun. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:41:45 pm by djinni373 »
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21201 on: January 16, 2018, 12:15:56 am »
Have you asked the kids Gayle?  Then again, it’s generally not just your own - their partners would have a say as well.  I don’t think there’s much in my house that my girls would want but if kids are just setting up home there would be more chance they’d like some help.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21202 on: January 16, 2018, 07:34:05 am »
The inheritance bit is hard. Mum had a few things from Dad's Mum and she adored fine china and crystal. I have now inherited all her stuff, then of course DD will cop mine as well as her Nan's. Fortunately she likes fine china too so when she builds her house or whatever she can have it for everyday use.
We use it for everyday too but don't break very much.

Your holiday is sounding lovely Chookie and Ral.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #21203 on: January 17, 2018, 01:24:54 am »
Sounds like us, we inherited alot of crystal, and stuff from Mum and dads house, so much to find extra room to store it all. I could easy set up another full kitchen with all my gear.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #21204 on: January 17, 2018, 05:32:12 am »
My 95 year old aunt has 3 china cabinets full of Royal Doulton Dolls and so much china. She has 2 sons that have both been married 3 times each, having children to the 1st, 2 wives. 1 son lives in the states and the other in Queensland. So it's DH and I to sort her out. None of the grandchildren want her stuff. They live in a digital age and aren't interested in things of a gone by era.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21205 on: January 17, 2018, 07:04:08 am »
The Royal Doulton dolls would be special Mich. I'm sure she has loved collecting them and gains pleasure from them.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #21206 on: January 17, 2018, 08:35:10 pm »
The Royal Doulton dolls would be special Mich. I'm sure she has loved collecting them and gains pleasure from them.

Cookie, you are so right. She moves today so I will take another look at the room and maybe we can fit a small cabinet in with her favourites so she can still enjoy them. Thankyou for bring that point up. She is leaving so much and loosing some more independence so it would be nice for her to still have soom special things around her.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #21207 on: January 17, 2018, 08:57:11 pm »
It is going to be a stinker today. 39 degrees forecast for Barwon Heads. We are going out for an early breakfast. Will be part packing up and cleaning as we leave tomorrow morning.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21208 on: January 18, 2018, 03:54:04 am »
Mich that would be so nice for her. We did that for Mum. They love to look at the treasures. A smallish glass fronted cabinet shouldn't be tooooooo expensive.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #21209 on: January 18, 2018, 06:04:22 am »
We managed to fit a small existing cabinet in Aunty's room. She also has a tiny bar fridge. A chest of drawers with her huge TV  on it. We have put some pictures on the wall. Her son that lives in The States sent me money to pay a cleaner and put her things in storage until her grandkids can come get them. (brilliant not having to clean up too much). I have taken her winter clothes and a few tea chests of things so that I can rotate her photos, paintings and china dolls.
We both shed some tears when I left.