Author Topic: Hi - still deciding  (Read 19226 times)

Offline Moo2

• View Profile
Hi - still deciding
« on: March 13, 2011, 02:22:32 am »
Hi all, I have been looking at your forum for a few weeks now as I am still trying to decide whether to invest in one. Thank you all so much for such a fantastic and useful resource. It's lovely to see how helpful and encouraging people can be.

My biggest reason for hesitating is whether I will be able to fit enough in the bowl for a family of 2 adults and 3 very hungry and rapidly growing boys.  So much of the appeal is being able to make dishes just with the one appliance so this is a bit of a sticking point for me. My demonstrator was lovely and very helpful but she has 2 girls so a family of 4 not 5.  Is there anyone who can advise with this?  Thanks

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
Re: Hi - still deciding
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 02:43:08 am »
Use the thermoservers. If you think one quantity isn't enough, put that in a thermoserver and cook either something else or another quantity of the same thing. I've never had any trouble cooking for a crowd, and if ever I'm stuck, my consultant has great ideas.

Offline Moo2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 02:50:24 am »
Good idea. I hadn't thought of that. It would be quick & easy whereas conventional methods wouldnt be. I guess it's more than just getting used to something different, it's a different way of doing things too.  :)

Offline virginiaqda

• Families are like fudge, the best ones have nuts!
    • View Profile
    • Virginia's Design
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 03:16:03 am »
Hi Moo2,
Last night I had my SIL, MIL,FIL, DD, DS,DH and me for a dinner party. I made mango ice cream first then sweet potato soup then we had beef stroganoff with mash potato. There was plenty plus leftovers. My suggestion would be to make mash potato and bread in the afternoon, then reheat mash in micro. You could also do that for the soup!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 03:26:47 am »
Hi Moo2

I have 3 teen boys and 2 younger children - so cook for 7 and love my TMX. I use my Thermomix and thermoservers everyday. Basically if I can't cook it in the TMX I don't cook it!!! I also am not afraid of having a couple of courses for a meal as it is so easy and the second one is cooking while you are eating! The other thing I do, is if I find the need to double batch, leave all the ingredients on the bench when you make the first and the second is even quicker to make  ;)

The other thing I have found is that the boys won't eat as much - yes that's right lol. When you start using real food for flavours etc it fills them up more (eg cashews to make a dish creamy instead of milk or cream). The other thing with the TMX is you can hide filling foods to fill them cheaply. I use heaps of beans and pulses now in my foods. Have a look at Chelsea and Jo's blogs for some great inspiration. There are also plenty of other blogs and websites out there with great ideas as well.

http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/

http://fulllittletummies.blogspot.com/
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Moo2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 03:31:54 am »
Thanks virginiaqda, another good idea. I can see myself having lots of fun "playing" on my not-so-busy days. But I guess I'm a little concerned about those days when life is really hectic. I was hoping that the TMX would help with quick & easy dinners a few nights a week.  Maybe I just need to get more organized but I find I have at least a couple of nights a week when I need to get dinner on the table pdq!

Offline Moo2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 03:38:18 am »
Hi faffa_70. 

Boys eating less??!!  :o I guess I have to see it to believe it.

Thanks for your reply. Nice to know others have to feed crowds regularly.  Really helpful post. Thanks for all the info. Second batch ingred left out is handy and I will check out those blogs.

This really is a fantastically helpful site.

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 03:46:35 am »
moo2, if I were making soup and mash as virginia mentioned, I'd get another (or a few more) thermoserver(s) to put the mash and soup in so you don't need the microwave to heat the food. My friend has 3 and is getting another thermoserver because she finds it so useful. She's also getting another bowl so she has more flexibility. I've  got another bowl as well as 2 x 2 litre thermoservers and a 1 litre thermoserver and in all the years I've been cooking for a crowd, I've never had it so easy. i cook things as I need them, and they stay hot, rather than cook the day before, worry if I've cooked enough, cook too much, reheat it when people arrive, realise that I've cooked too much and wasted a whole heap of food...it is a different way of cooking and I never would have believed anyone until I got my Thermomix.

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 05:09:11 am »
If I am making giant portions of things, I use TMX to do the prep, and cook on the stove top.  Way quicker than without TMX.  For curries, chilli con carne and other dishes you serve with rice/pasta, there is heaps for 5 adults.

Offline Moo2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 06:13:01 am »
Hi CarolineJ, thanks for that.  Most of our meals are served with rice or pasta to pad things out so it should be ok.  Its looking more and more likely that I will be taking the plunge.  ;)

Thanks thermoheaven.  Can you tell me how much the thermoserve holds?  I forgot to ask my demonstrator. Also, how long can you keep things "food safe" hot for?

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 06:36:24 am »
The thermoserve which comes with your first demo holds 2 litres; the 1 litre thermoserve was with  a promotion. It keeps hot food hot for 2 hours. food safe hot is above 60 degrees, and whether the food stays above 60 degrees will depend on a number of factors - how hot the food was when you put it in the thermoserver, how often people keep lifting the lid up to see what's inside, the outside temperature, etc. All in all, when i do serve up my food, it is still piping hot, or at the least very hot.

Just for the record, the 2 litre thermoserve holds the contents of the thermomix bowl,

Offline Moo2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 08:03:50 am »
Thanks thermoheaven, again very helpful and patient with answers to what are probably silly questions  :)

Offline Sonan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 09:07:52 am »
HI Check out this blog post by Quirky Cooking - specifically about cooking for large families  ;) ;)

http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/2011/03/does-thermomix-cook-enough-for-large.html
Check out my Facebook Group, Healthy Cooking for Australian Families.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=90888828646

Offline susannecooks

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 09:54:17 am »
Hello Moo!

I have 6 children, 2 teenage daughters and 4 boys (12,10,3 and 1) and believe me I really do not know how I would manage without a TM.
I work parttime and I just need a gadget that can do a lot of things in almost NO time!! My kids eat fresh food everyday and I have a son who has a couple of food intolerances. So making homemade bread and cake and pastries is a DAILY thing in addition to the regular cooking.
The 3 oldest ones can operate the TM by themselves, the girls (16 and 15) make the greatest cakes and desserts. I must say that I've been owning the Thermomix for almost 20 years, so I've never experienced another kitchenmachine, but I was always very happy with it so why even bother to try?
I am sure it'll do you good as well,
greetings from Germany,

Susanne

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 10:59:50 am »
Another one with a biggish family.
My partner and I have 8 kids between us including 2 teenagers.  On any given day we'll be cooking for all 10 of us and find it super easy.  Thermoservers are essential!
The older kids will cook for the smaller ones as well so often we end up cooking just for ourselves! LOL!   8)

Thankfully we both have a TMX each so there's no lugging it around as well!  I'm pretty persuasive when I need to be.  ;)  :D :D :D
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem