Author Topic: Almogrote gomero - with photo  (Read 2952 times)

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
Almogrote gomero - with photo
« on: April 20, 2012, 02:19:34 pm »
Name of Recipe:  Almogrote gomero

Ingredients:
To roast the tomatoes -
6 ripe tomatoes (about 425g), cut in half
4 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt or pink Himalayan rock salt
To make the almogrote -
8 large cloves garlic, peeled
1-2 guindilla peppers
140g hard, mature, strong cheese, broken into chunks
The roasted tomatoes, drained (reserve the oil)
90g stock of your choice
The reserved olive oil, made up to 120ml

Preparation:
Pre-heat the oven to its highest setting.
Arrange the tomatoes in a roasting tin, cut side up.
Drizzle the oil over them and lightly sprinkle with the salt.
Place in the oven for 15 minutes, reduce the heat to 150° C (300° F - gas 2), [fan oven 130° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour] and continue roasting for a further 1½ hours, by which time the tomatoes should have shrunk to half their original size.
Allow the tomatoes to cool thoroughly or even leave them in the fridge overnight.
Place the garlic, and guindilla(s) in the  *: and process 10 seconds / Speed 5.
Scrape down the inside of the  *: and add the cheese.
Process 1 minute / Speed 5-10 progressively.
Add the tomatoes and the stock and blend at Speed 5 until you have the consistency of a paste.
Ensure the MC has open end upright and slowly pour the oil onto the lid of bowl, running at Speed 5 until the mixture has been emulsified.
Continue blending until you have the desired consistency - I like mine with a bit of texture although you can make it as smooth as you like.

Tips/Hints:  Serve with boiled potatoes or papas arrugados, hard boiled eggs or simply spread it on bread or toast. It can also be used as a dip.  I doubled the ingredients listed in the original recipe, because I am a pig. Also the roasting of the tomatoes was my idea, to add extra flavour, but there is no need to do so.

Origin:  The recipe is based on one in Canarias - cocina tradicional by Vicente Sanchez Araña. It has been translated, lightly adapted and converted for Thermomix.

Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire