Author Topic: Quinoa Brunch Salad  (Read 13829 times)

Offline NomesFog

• View Profile
Quinoa Brunch Salad
« on: May 08, 2012, 10:46:48 am »
Quinoa Brunch Salad.

made this today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Serves 2 big serves or 3-4 smaller ones

half cup red quinoa
1 heaped tsp beef stock concentrate (or vege stock)
1 large ripe tomato
4 eggs
a few sprigs of fresh herbs from the garden, I used basil and garlic chives
a drizzle of EVOO and balsamic for dressing
a handful of cashews
a good seasoning of salt and pepper

Pop quinoa into thermie bowl with 1ltr water and beef stock cook for 20mins/varoma/reverse spd2
I find red quinoa needs to be cooked longer than white as the outter shell is more fibrous.

wash the outside of your eggs with warm soapy water and at the 10minute mark pop them into the steamer basket and into the thermie to cook for the final 10minutes.

Dice your tomato, snip your herbs and add the rest of the ingredients while you wait for it to cook.
When done shell your eggs and lightly mash and add to tomato mix.
Drain quinoa in sieve and add to the rest and give it a good mix. Adjust seasoning to suit and enjoy!  ;D

phatassphairy - this is my take on the salad .... same as above ... I just added baby spinach, iceburg and rocket. Love quinoa. I have used a few different ways .... I have used it in stuffing with whole cranberries and a bit of orange rind, and some GF multi-seed bread crumbs.... for a pork roast .... LOVE IT!!!! We are def having this in the house as a pantry essential.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:00:37 am by judydawn »

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: Quinoa Brunch Salad
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 12:28:02 pm »
This looks really good NomesFog :D I've been looking for some different quinoa recipes so will have to give this one a shot.

Thanks! ;D

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 09:12:41 pm »
Looks good, NomesFog, must give it a try (but perhaps not until the warmer weather comes around again).  Thanks for sharing it with us.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
Re: Re: Quinoa Brunch Salad
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 11:30:34 am »
Thanks nomesfog. Always looking for new quinoa recipes. I found a great dessert one with quinoa flakes I've been loving. Love being able to have quinoa warm and hot, sweet and savory!!!
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 09:21:06 am »
this looks yum i have never cooked with quinoa before ... but this sure does look great to start with =)

where do you buy it ? supermarkets or healthfood or delicatessens?
as long as you keep eating my pancakes .....i will stand here and keep flippin them out filled with nothing but love in my heart 'cause you chose my table to sit at =)P

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 01:21:51 am »
Do you think this will be ok with white quinoa?  PAP you can get it in most supermarkets in the health food section.

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 01:03:55 am »
thanks GHM ... will keep my eye out for it ....i really want to try this

as long as you keep eating my pancakes .....i will stand here and keep flippin them out filled with nothing but love in my heart 'cause you chose my table to sit at =)P

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 01:41:14 am »
The only difference I have noticed between red and white quinoa is that red quinoa tastes a bit more "nutty". All types of quinoa (red, white and black) have the same cooking time ;)

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 09:39:07 pm »
while i was out and about yesterday i bought a packet of the quinoa red ... so tomorrow i am going to have a play with this recipe .... my DD2 is a vegetarian ... so i am thinking she will love the nuttiness ..... she will be home from uni in a few weeks :) but i will test run it before she gets home.

Offline NomesFog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 04:05:31 pm »
Do you think this will be ok with white quinoa?  PAP you can get it in most supermarkets in the health food section.

Yeah you can use whatever colour you like, i find the coloured ones take a little longer to cook as the outer skin is a little more fibrous/chewy...and sometimes you need to soak the white one before cooking...from memory the quinoa from Tasmania...?

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 06:09:55 am »
I am really enjoying the taste and texture of red quinoa. IThe first time I made it in the steamer basket and did not really like that method as a lot of the grains fell through the slits!! I will try this method in the bowl.

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 11:17:21 pm »
this is my take on the salad .... same as above ... i just added baby spinach, iceburg and rocket.

love quinoa ...i have used a few different ways .... i have used it in stuffing with whole cranberries and a bit of orange rind, and some GF multi-seed bread crumbs.... for a pork roast .... LOVE IT!!!!

we are def having this in the house as a pantry essential.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 11:20:04 pm by phatassphairy »