Author Topic: Lemon & Marrow Jam  (Read 8058 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Lemon & Marrow Jam
« on: October 02, 2009, 05:09:31 pm »
This is a recipe which I adapted and converted, based on http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-03265t.html

It tastes lovely (I was very dubious that marrow jam would taste nice!) which was a surprise.  Really, honestly is jam.  I'm going to try one with marrow, pineapple and ginger next.  Will post if it's worth posting.

Ingredients

907 g marrow, peeled and deseeded
Rind and juice of 1 lemon
680g Jam sugar

Makes about 1 litre of jam.

Method

1.  Either dice (I did 2 cm cubes) or cut roughly using speed 4, I would guess.  Didn't try that this time, as it was quick and easy to cut

(Note to self:  Set your jam jars on to sterilise now - don't forget until the end!)

2.  Put in varoma, add 1 lt water to jug, and steam for about 15 - 20 mins, until marrow tender

3.  Put the marrow into a bowl, and add the sugar and lemon.  Cover and leave in the fridge for 24 hours.  At the end of that time, it will be chunks sitting in a syrupy, lemony liquid.  I'm guessing that this resting time is for both the liquid and the flavours to develop.

4.  Pop it all back into the TM jug.  100oC / 35 mins / speed 3

5.  If it hasn't set yet (mine wasn't quite ready), varoma / about 10 mins/ speed 3.  If at this stage you look at it and think that you want it less chunky, give it a quick whizz at speed 4 or 5, a few seconds at a time, until it's the texture you want.  It has reached setting point when, if you tip the jug, it leaves some stuck syrup like to the sides when you put it back straight.  It should also coat the back of a spoon nicely.  Or do the classic saucer test - put a saucer in the fridge or freezer near the beginning.  Take it out now, and put a tsp of the jam onto the saucer.  Leave it for 1 min, then push lightly with your finger.  If it has a skin that wrinkles on the top, then it's reached setting point.

6.  Decant into sterilised jam jars while still hot.  (Or, in my case, realise that you've forgotten to sterilise the jam jars, and put them onto sterilise.  Then re-heat the jam and decant!  :-)) )
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Lemon & Marrow Jam
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 02:42:05 am »
Thanks CarolineW - if you like ginger -then add some crystalised ginger to the jam near end of cooking time.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 06:14:42 am »
I'm fascinated by the 907g of marrow. Is this like a marmalade at all CarolineW?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 12:11:02 pm »
I'm fascinated by the 907g of marrow. Is this like a marmalade at all CarolineW?

That is a very precise weight!  ;D

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 08:41:28 pm »

Spot the conversion from imperial measurements  ;) :D  Needless to say, I didn't bother to be that precise!

It isn't really like marmalade, no.  It really is like jam.  Hard to imagine with the marrow, I know - but true.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 08:42:02 pm »

That is a very precise weight!  ;D

LOL  :D

Offline chocdoc

• View Profile
    • the Chocolate Doctor
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 05:55:01 pm »
Not one for reading directions thoroughly before starting - I got some vegetable marrow from the supermarket and proceeded to do things totally my own way.

After peeling (they were small and I didn't bother to seed) the weight was about 500 grams.  I chopped to a nice size on speed 4, then proceeded to add the microplanned peel of one lemon and the juice of two lemons (cause I had a stray naked lemon left over from the panattone I made the day before).  I added about 340 grams of sugar - then realized I was supposed to steam the marrow first.

Well, I don't have a varoma anyway - so I just cooked the sugar, lemon juice and marrow together for a few minutes at 100º C, then tucked it in the fridge overnight. 

Of course I'm in Canada - so jam sugar doesn't exist - but a little internet research indicated that jam sugar is 98% sugar and 2% apple pectin and citric acid.  I measured out about 30 grams of sugar, added 6 grams of pectin and about a gram of citric acid and added that into my jam. 

I cooked it about a total of 1 1/2 hours at 100º C without seeing a lot of thickening, but it had reduced a bit so I was able to varoma temp it for about 20 minutes all together and that got it to the right point  (actually a little beyond the right point cause I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention). 

It's a tasty jam, with the extra lemon I added it's very much like a lemon marmalade - I can see that added ginger would be lovely.   

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 10:49:03 pm »
Glad you averted a disaster chocdoc - I probably would have thrown it out when I realised I'd gone wrong in the first step but hats off to you for continuing on your merry way and ending up with the perfect jam. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 10:59:34 pm »

Well, I don't have a varoma anyway

You might have to see if Thermomix Canada will gift you one - explain how you are promoting their product on eGullet and how many sales you could bring.  Don't like your chances - but they're not that expensive, so they might ??
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.