Author Topic: Devil of a Cookbook - links to reviews.  (Read 70149 times)

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Re: Devil of a Cookbook - links to reviews.
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 08:23:47 am »
Bickie, it's a beautiful book and way lighter than In the Mix.  I suspect lighter than For Food's Sake as well (though comparable) as FFS is hardback, whereas DOC is high quality paperback (also Landscape layout) with dustjacket.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 09:12:10 am »
I made the 1,2,3,4 pancakes for the kids after school today using gluten free plain flour.  Very quick and the kids devoured the entire lot. My kids prefer large flat pancakes so this amount of batter only made about 4 large pancakes but even so is an easy recipe to remember and even though it is a simple one it seems to be a versatile 'keep handy' one for starving kids after school. I think I'll make another batch for lunch boxes as well as a good standby for weekend breakfasts.  I also thought that they can be used as savoury pancakes/crepes as there is no sugar in the batter, only a pinch of salt - I guess if you wanted sweet pancakes just add some sugar but I prefer to avoid it in the batter as my kids enjoy their pancakes with some sugar and a squeeze of lemon on top anyway.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline GtChick

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 11:11:59 pm »
Just a really quick question.  Off to Tassie this week and love the look of this book.  Does anyone know where I might be able to buy in Tassie or do I have to order it on line?

Thanks

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 02:32:32 am »
I made the 'devil may care' scones on page 107 but this recipe hasn't been listed in the original post. The recipe made about a dozen. I can't eat them myself but I made them to take to friends for afternoon tea and everyone agreed that they were lovely. (they are good friends of ours so I know they would tell me the honest truth if they didn't like them). The scones were fluffy enough and either plain or with jam and cream, they all were eaten. Overall, good recipe and very quick.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 11:16:49 am »
My copy arrived today...very happy with my purchase.  
Majority of the recipes I actually want to make  :)  it's an honest cookbook, not pretentious like many  ;)
There isn't too many recipe pictures, but for some reason it didn't bother me with this book.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:40:58 am by maddy »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Tan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 04:29:29 am »
I made the melting moments yesterday - unfortunately there was nothing "melting" about them.They were rock hard.
i did follow the recipe so not sure if it was me or perhaps my oven. \
Will give them another try perhaps.
They were OK dunked in a cuppa !!!
Tan

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 02:22:37 pm »
Has everyone who is on Facebook checked out the Devil of a Cookbook page?  Here's a link to the food pics:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.234359340001338.43473.234337246670214&type=3
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Thermo Mrs

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 11:55:28 am »
I just received an email from my consultant with amendments for 6 more of the recipes in this book! No wonder the melting moments were awful, the ingredient amounts listed in the book for the butter and sugar were WAY out!

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 01:06:47 am »
I just received an email from my consultant with amendments for 6 more of the recipes in this book! No wonder the melting moments were awful, the ingredient amounts listed in the book for the butter and sugar were WAY out!

Oh dear  :-\  are the amendments on the Facebook page, or would you be able to copy and paste them here Thermo Mrs?
.....proof reading and testing is a vital element to producing a cook book I would have thought.....that's a lot of boo-boos  :o
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 01:09:13 am »
Considering the amount of people from this forum who have bought the book, I would hope the amendments are listed on here and not just a link to somewhere else.  Look after those who support you I say.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 01:13:58 am »

This is disappointing!! You would have thought, given the importance of this book, they would have dedicated more care to the essential proofreading, etc.

Thermo Mrs - would it be appropriate for you to copy and paste the relevant parts of your consultant's email here??

What a blow to those lovely people whose recipes have been given the thumbs down because of this . . . . .  ???
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:22:03 am by goldfish »

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 01:18:08 am »
Look after those who support you I say.

Agreed Judy!

What a blow to those lovely people whose recipes have been given the thumbs down because of this . . . . .  ???

Yes, it is!
I am kind of nervous now trying another recipe....just in case it's one of the ones with a mistake  :-\
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Thermo Mrs

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 01:21:15 am »
As far as I can see there has been nothing mentioned on the FB page. I'm really disappointed that I now have to handwrite so many amendments throughout my lovely new recipe book. Here is the email I received, please don't forget that there is also an amendment for the gluten free double choc muffins separate to this email:

...our sincere apologies—a few gremlins got into the typing in the production of the Devil of a Cookbook and as a result we have produced these changes to the following recipes:

1. Peanut Satay Sauce—P 37 Use 250g peanut butter

2. Fee’s Quince Paste—P42 Push the mixture through a sieve after cooking the quince (to remove core pieces) then add sugar and continue cooking until a drop sets when dropped in cold water

3.  Mick’s Ciabatta—P 98 Double the poolish quantity and add 100g extra water to the 300g used in the recipe to create a really sticky dough

4.  Chocolate Brownies—P 133 Use 170g dark chocolate buttons, 60g cocoa powder, 110g plain flour etc and begin by grating the chocolate for 10 secs on speed 8 and setting aside.

5.  Gluten Free Chocolate Muffins—P135 Add 130g caster sugar to the dry ingredients

6.  Martha’s Melting Moments—P143 Decrease sugar to 80g and increase butter to 250g

NB: Where recipes ask for ‘bunches’ use a tiny little hand picked bunch or add to your taste.

We hope you enjoy this book and enjoy adding your own twists to the recipes to make them your own!

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 01:21:35 am »
Urk.... I just ordered this book last week. Now I'm not so sure about it :-[

Offline Thermo Mrs

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 01:25:48 am »
I've just checked a few of the amendments against the recipes in the book and wow, some of them are now quite different to the originals. It's not just typos with quantities, there are substantial changes with added ingredients and new methods to be included. I wonder if they even tested all of the recipes before publishing?