Author Topic: Bread query  (Read 7182 times)

Offline dgg9879

• View Profile
Bread query
« on: September 13, 2009, 11:27:45 pm »
Is it possible to make conventional bread successfully without using oil?

If I use the basic bread recipe without oil does it work OK or would it work better with the addition of something else in place of oil such as apple sauce?

Do bread recipes that work in a bread maker work in the Thermomix without modification? If not, how do they need to be modified?

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
Re: Bread query
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 12:01:22 am »
Hi, an unqualified answer for the oil question is that you can make it without oil. I make the steamed bread and one other one (can't remember which one though..) with no oil. I find that with lower or no oil the bread can dry out a bit faster.

The Thermomix will grind, mix and knead your bread and to bake it you'll need to put it into the oven.  Making bread using the Thermomix is a lot quicker.  So to modify it, you would first start with any grinding you require (usually 1 min on speed 9-10), add the rest of your ingredients, mix on speed 6 until it's all combined, then knead using the kneading function  :: for 2 - 2.5 minutes. Depending on the bread you are making, generally pop the dough into a bowl and leave it in a warm place until it doubles in size (depending on warmth 1/2 to 1 hour), shape or put into bread pan and pop into a cold oven where it can do a second rise as the oven is warming up.

If you don't own a Thermomix yet, and would like to see a few bread recipes to understand how it works you can either look up some of the bread recipes on the site here or I can post the basic TM31 bread recipe out of the Everyday Cookbook.

Hope that has helped  ???
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 01:54:11 am »
pop the dough into a bowl and leave it in a warm place until it doubles in size (depending on warmth 1/2 to 1 hour), shape or put into bread pan and pop into a cold oven where it can do a second rise as the oven is warming up.

That was an interesting comment ILB, do you do that for all your bread baking?  After it has risen (usually in my oven these days on 50o, I remove it, set the temperature to whatever the recipe says and then have to wait for it to get there before popping the loaf back into the oven to cook.  Would be so much easier to just leave it in there and raise the temperature.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 02:46:37 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 02:36:32 am »
Fat/oil is added to bread dough for flavour, to soften the crumb and/or to keep it fresh for longer.  Bread can be made without oil, but it will not keep as long and may be a little dry.
Bread machine recipes could be used in the TM, but they would need to be modified and the moisture content may vary.  It is worth giving it a try, but keeping an eye on how dry or otherwise the dough is as it kneads.
Good luck!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 04:28:39 am »
Judy I do the same as ILB, let my bread do the 2nd rise in the oven whilst it is reaching the required cooking temperature, the overall time in the oven probably increases slightly than if you were putting the bread into an already hot oven, but in the long run it saves a bit of time!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 06:17:29 am »
Yes I do the same...something you pick up from demos maybe??  ??? ??? I know that is what my consultant always did at demos and I do the same now even at home. Works a treat  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 07:52:10 am »
Thanks girls, sounds easier to me.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 01:29:46 pm »
Judy - this is something we're trained to do in our demos. It works a treat and touch wood.... all the basic bread recipe has risen a treat - it's always recieved with great delight.

So now, when ever I can I do that.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 08:16:04 pm »
I've always followed what the UK cook book says and only do 1 rise for an hour and then pop the loaf into a hot oven.   

The other day I had to do 2 rises as I dropped the tin (tin side down thank goodness) as I was putting it in the oven and the bread deflated so I knocked it back and let it rise again.   I really didn't notice any difference between this loaf and the ones that had risen only once.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 02:15:36 am »
I've always followed what the UK cook book says and only do 1 rise for an hour and then pop the loaf into a hot oven.   

The other day I had to do 2 rises as I dropped the tin (tin side down thank goodness) as I was putting it in the oven and the bread deflated so I knocked it back and let it rise again.   I really didn't notice any difference between this loaf and the ones that had risen only once.

The longer that bread takes to rise, the more complex and developed the flavours are, as the yeast has more time to work.  Most breads are traditionally given 2 rises and it is unusual to only have one.  Sourdoughs and breads with more interesting flavours can take quite a long time to rise and I have one recipe for bread where I put the dough into the fridge to slow the rise down.  When trying to speed things up, I often put the loaf into a COLD oven and turn the oven on for the second rise, but never a hot one.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 04:51:41 am »
Another trick that was given at a demo on Wed. is to set the temp of the TMX to 100oC while mixing some cake mixes - speeds up the cooking as it is going to have to warm up once it's in the oven.

Sounds like it should work - so worth a try - cake makers
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.