Author Topic: low-salt diet demonstration?  (Read 5413 times)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
low-salt diet demonstration?
« on: May 08, 2011, 12:07:09 pm »
I have a friend who has just been diagnosed with a variant of Meniere's disease, and has been told to cut salt almost completely out of their diet.  As you would expect, she is having trouble with the salt "hidden" in so many pre-prepared foods.  I have told her about the TMX and how is is just fabulous for anyone with special dietary needs, and she is very interested in a demo.  Can anyone recommend or know of a demo menu that would really showcase the ways to cut salt out of the diet?
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: low-salt diet demonstration?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 12:19:43 pm »
Karen the only thing that has salt in it at the demo would be the stock concentrate in the main dish. I think the other things would be ok
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 02:02:21 pm »
You would be able to just about cut the salt out of the stock if she became and owner and freeze it in ice cube trays. She would at least then be able to have flavour with her food with out the salt.  Really the only salt in our diet now is in the stock and also the little that I put in our bread, otherwise we are pretty much salt free as we don't add it at the table often either - that is just us though, not sure about others  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 06:51:56 am »
that would be terrible for me as I like to have a little food with my salt  :-[
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 04:04:59 pm »
CP you are as bad as my mother - I tell her she has a heart attack on her plate!!!  :o :o

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:45:27 am »
Thanks for the advice!  I am trying to do an informal demo for my friend to show her how much a TMX can do - she is not that keen on attending a proper demo - so I thought I would follow the demo menu fairly closely and just invite her over and cook up a storm.   Like you CP, I am sooooooooo glad that I dont have to cut salt out of the diet completely!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 02:27:27 am »
Karen, just focus on the fact that SHE has control of what she if putting in her food and SHE can flavour it with what ever she likes that is suitable for HER and you will be right ;)

Offline wombat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 06:34:53 am »
The best cheese to buy is Nimbin cheese.  It is available in slices as well as a block at all Aussie supermarkets. It is advertised as a low salt, non rennet cheese.
Also, Ardmona does salt free canned tomatoes which are Australian. I always buy the 800g tin and use half quantity. Leggos has reduced salt tomato paste.
Coles did have a lot of salt free items on their shelf.  Their homebrand doritos (mexican things) and their taco shells are no salt. Kettle baked chips are the lowest in salt as well.
My son was in pretty bad heart failure for a couple of years so we went really no salt. Havent had to adhere  as strongly for the past few years thank goodness.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 06:50:24 am »
Thanks for your recommendations wombat - nice when someone else has done the research for you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.