Author Topic: Going to Paris  (Read 79205 times)

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
Re: Going to Paris
« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2013, 03:20:05 pm »
Avignon is lovely MJ lots to see and do in the area. We spent some time there last time in France and enjoyed it very much.
Love France and spent lots of time there when single and of course since then as well.Lucky you business class but its a great way to travel long distances. Have flown business with with a few different airlines and not much difference in that class although at the moment I would say Emirates from Australia have the best business cabins. Qantas good too on long haul. No matter what you will enjoy it and enjoy France and other European destinations. The world is an amazing place and we are all so lucky to live in this age of world travel. :D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #166 on: July 08, 2013, 11:56:38 pm »
MJ,  we usually travel Business Class, ,  Emirates.  You have a very generous sister.    Even  travelled first class a couple of years ago.  It happened to be on DH's birthday and they presented him with a cake.  I am not a good traveller,  so would  rather go less often and do the Business Class thing.  Don't like BC on British new big planes as they have a strange configuration of seats. 
Avignon is a great city.  You will love it.  You can buy fabric by the length to make table cloths.  Lots of cafe and shops.  I love all things French and last time had a car and stayed in B and B.  People lovely.  Have a great time.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 20, 2013, 06:21:18 am »
One of the most memorable meals I have had in nearly 70 years was in Avignon. It was so wonderful we extended our stay by three nights so we could  experience EVERTHING on  the  menu. The cheese offering was one of the most amazing thing I have seen in my lifetime. Slept all day though. LOL! We stayed in a turret on a side street where the restaurant was . The B & B  was run by a a Frozzie much to our delight and surprise .

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Thermokitchen

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 20, 2013, 01:48:17 pm »
Paris is beautiful! I am so jealous...

Hope you have an absolutely amazing time!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 20, 2013, 11:04:49 pm »
I have so many memorable meals and food moments.. France in general is a delight to the senses.. Missing it... :(
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2013, 11:25:24 am »
We've booked our accommodation in Avignon and it looks lovely! Marie and Pierre are the hosts. They've responded via their website to our booking and sound really lovely. Some great comments from other guests.

Getting very excited now!!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2013, 05:53:40 am »
We look forward to hearing about it! Enjoy!
What a great sister!  ;D

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #172 on: September 24, 2013, 11:55:08 am »
Flights are now booked. Cattle class to Singapore, then Business for the long haul!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2013, 09:53:54 pm »
So exciting!!!!!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2013, 11:03:33 pm »
You will enjoy the second leg of your flight xx enjoy... They are having good weather at the moment too..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline fergpip

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 09, 2014, 07:10:12 am »
L'Orangerie in the Jardin des Tuilleries is unmissable for large, curved Monets and a great range of other great artists as well. Enjoy!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #176 on: January 14, 2014, 04:59:33 am »
Must book some tours soon. I ended up paying for the Business Class flights myself. I couldn't let my sis pay for me. She paid for our older sister who's retired.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 12, 2014, 01:49:17 pm »
Just discovered this thread, how wonderful!  I will have to take some time to read every post with a notebook.  My BF and I are going to Paris in July for 6 nights!  We will be in Portugal for a wedding for a week, and then back to Paris for another week.  I was there once when I was about 15 but I remember spending a lot of time wanting to go to the Disney store.  Needless to say, my priorities have changed!  I will definitely have Versailles on the list, as well as Musee D'Orsey, Saint-Chapelle, Montmartre, LesInvalides, a boat cruise on the river and just walking walking walking.  My BF has never been so I'm sure the Eiffel tower will be on the list too.

In preparation for my trip, I'm reading Edward Rutherfurd's book "Paris".  If you're a reader at ALL, I would highly recommend it.  It tracks the history of Paris through the stories of a few families over the centuries, from the Roman times to the 1960s.  It's in novel form, not a dull history book.  For example, telling of the love troubles of a worker on the Eiffel Tower.  It is AMAZING and I'm hoping will give me a whole new perspective on Paris once I'm there!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2014, 11:14:03 am »
That book sounds good Laura.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2014, 04:43:51 am »
Sounds like a good book. I'm studying and have so much reading to do that I've not read a novel for 6 months!
Lots of tours booked. Getting excited!
The Bush Gourmand