Author Topic: Sourdough loaf, activated in fridge overnight .  (Read 33524 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Sourdough loaf, activated in fridge overnight .
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 10:44:09 pm »
Merlin,  sorry about that.   Have you tried the gluten free one that I adapted from Dan Lepard's recipe ?

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 06:57:49 am »
Actually, I did and it was lovely, thanks! That was around the time of all the kerfuffle with Dan's publisher, remember??? I forgot to post my thanks as I wasn't sure of the political correctness of posts during that time regarding  Dan's recipes.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 11:34:08 am »
Chookie, I would love the recipe for this bread as I have sourdough starter.  Have you posted it?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 09:26:12 pm »
Visitors last night,  will try and do it today.  New recipe also coming for pumpkin pie without sugar.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 11:33:55 pm »
Kazza,  have posted recipe.  Have fun.

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 06:24:39 am »
Thank you Chookie :-*

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 11:49:15 pm »
I have a sourdough starter (bought from Yoke) and I would like to have a go at making this loaf.  Can I do it as a free-form loaf instead of in a tin?  Would the method be the same?  This will be my first attempt at making a sourdough loaf!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 07:12:04 am »
Karen,  as the dough is pretty slack it would spread.  If I wanted a free form I would use a cake tin and remove the base,  sit it on a lined baking tray.  This will prevent the dough spreading too much.  When it has doubled,  remove the cake ring,  or leave it on.  Up to you.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 07:46:10 am »
Thanks ACW - I fossicked around in my boxes of spare cake tins, and actually found a bread tin almost exactly the same size as the one you used - so I will use that instead.  Thanks for the advice!  Cant wait to have the bread for lunch tomorrow .......
Karen in Adelaide

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 08:24:11 am »
Let us know how it goes KarenH. Is it a rye starter?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 09:02:50 am »
Let us know how it goes KarenH. Is it a rye starter?

Karen,  not sure how it will go with a rye starter,  but give it a go.  let us know how you go.  If you want bread for lunch,  take the loaf out very early in the morning,  so it has time to reach room temp and then double.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 10:05:17 am »
Yes, it is a rye starter ............. and I am confused now.  Can't I use a rye starter for this recipe?   I really dont know ANYTHING about sourdough.  I asked in the organic shop (when I bought the rye flour to feed the starter) if I had to make rye bread with a rye starter, and they told me I could use a rye starter to make any kind of sourdough bread.

I have not started this recipe yet, and my starter has been out on the bench for 2 days and is lovely and bubbly and active ........ is there a better recipe that I should be making instead of this one? 
Karen in Adelaide

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 10:58:11 am »
Yes, it is a rye starter ............. and I am confused now.  Can't I use a rye starter for this recipe?   I really dont know ANYTHING about sourdough.  I asked in the organic shop (when I bought the rye flour to feed the starter) if I had to make rye bread with a rye starter, and they told me I could use a rye starter to make any kind of sourdough bread.

I have not started this recipe yet, and my starter has been out on the bench for 2 days and is lovely and bubbly and active ........ is there a better recipe that I should be making instead of this one? 

Try this recipe first as it is very simple.   It is just that I have never used a rye starter.  I will be posting more recipes that I know will work,  later. 

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 11:23:49 am »
OK - here goes  ;D

This was my starter before I started making the bread - last fed this morning.  I made a mistake in estimating how much starter I had - I could only use 300g starter to leave enough to feed up to make more ..... so I used 300g starter and added an extra 50g warm water.  Hoping it will work, because my starter was pretty thick to start off with.

And this is what the dough looked like just after I put it into the tin.  It is now sitting on the kitchen bench until I go to bed ......

Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 11:29:37 am »
Good luck with it Karen, can't wait to hear about the end result.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.