Author Topic: Plain White rolls - no fuss  (Read 343399 times)

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
Re: Plain White rolls - no fuss
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2011, 04:26:23 am »
Made rolls yesterday. Kids and DH liked them despite my burning the bottom. Think the oven in our new place cooks hotter than it says lol will keep perservering!

Thanks for the recipe :)

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2011, 06:56:04 am »
Made this today.  Only baked for 12 minutes, adapting concept Woollies baked at home bread.  Plan to have burger tomorrow, so will bake another 10 minutes while fixing the topping. 
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2011, 09:32:36 am »
I made these yesterday and finished them off this morning. They were fantastic! Will definitely be making them again for school lunches and do the final cooking in the morning.
Kerryn

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2011, 08:32:30 pm »
Kerryn,  did you finish them off in a pre heated oven?   Sounds like a good  way to go for those wanting fresh rolls for lunches.
Well done.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2011, 04:10:14 am »
Chookie I put them straight from the freezer into a cold oven. They didn't take the whole extra 10 minutes back at full temp, so I'm glad I was watching them. They browned beautifully. The only thing I have to master now is shaping the rolls so they look uniform, and more like the dinner rolls you get at the shop (rather than bread blobs). They tasted fantastic though!
Kerryn

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2011, 05:29:56 am »
Kerryn,  I know how you feel about shaping them,  mine always look a bit 'agricultural' .   I know that some people weigh the dough before forming.  Keep up the good work.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2011, 06:57:17 am »
LOL! Looking at the photos, the shape of rolls should have been the least of my concern. I forgot to take my hair out of it's customary "get this out of my face and off my neck" tie back, and I didn't take off my apron either. At least I wasn't still in my slippers!
Kerryn

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2011, 07:23:13 am »
Opi,  I have just looked at your Blog.   It is wonderful and all those photos.  I will continue to dip in when I have a moment.   Thank you. ;D ;D ;D

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2011, 09:19:50 am »
Thanks Chookie.   ;D  It seems to be the thing to do!  I do love doing it though (when I remember - I'm not as dedicated as many are).

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2011, 09:53:48 pm »
Made these today with GD.   
We rolled the dough into little balls, all sizes.  When cooked, they were easily pulled apart. The kiddies loved this.   What was left over, was sliced for breakfast.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2011, 12:05:48 am »
Made these rolls yesterday. Really easy and tasted great. One of the best I have come across yet. I had mine fresh from the oven with JudyDawn's chicken and corn soup for lunch.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2011, 12:03:50 pm »
Chookie,
If I wanted to use a combination of white and wholemeal flour, what proportions would you recommend and would I need to alter anything else (like the amount of liquid)?
Thanks,
Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2011, 12:21:04 pm »
Chookie is overseas at the moment Kerryn but I'll ask her for you when I next email her .
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2011, 01:02:27 pm »
http://eatlovedrink.com/2011/04/27/weighing-white-and-whole-wheat-flour/

I was reading this today, Jo from Quirky Cooking linked it on Facebook. Explains the different weights and measures for different flours. Certainly clears a few things up! :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2011, 12:27:58 am »
Chookie,
If I wanted to use a combination of white and wholemeal flour, what proportions would you recommend and would I need to alter anything else (like the amount of liquid)?
Thanks,
Kerryn
Have heard back from Chookie regarding your question Kerryn.  She said if you are using 1/2 and 1/2 then you only need to add  just a little more water, if it is lumpy then add more. A dessertspoonful should be enough.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.