Author Topic: Plain White rolls - no fuss  (Read 343590 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Plain White rolls - no fuss
« Reply #705 on: December 09, 2012, 10:04:01 am »
This is the recipe that so many of our members have been wanting - preparing the dough overnight and cooking fresh bread in the morning.  Brilliant work Uni, give yourself a pat on the back  :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 09, 2012, 10:49:45 am »
I have gone back a few pages on this but I am missing the preparing dough overnight to bake next morning, can you point me in the right direction !!!!!

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 09, 2012, 11:06:26 am »
1 teaspoon of sugar and 1/8 teaspoon of yeast for this loaf chickie and only one rise

It's around page 45, Rainbow . .

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 09, 2012, 08:05:20 pm »
With rising overnight doesnt the dough dry out??
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 09, 2012, 08:11:25 pm »
i spary water on mine plus a lid   and its ok
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 09, 2012, 08:20:11 pm »
Ok good uni thx 😘
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline alfacchino

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 09, 2012, 09:13:39 pm »
Thanks so much for this recipe!  I whipped up a batch for our lunch yesterday and the hubby-man was very impressed :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #712 on: December 10, 2012, 03:20:53 am »
Thanks so much for this recipe!  I whipped up a batch for our lunch yesterday and the hubby-man was very impressed :)

My pleasure alfaccino.

Offline lozzylooloo

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 12, 2012, 05:44:49 pm »
I made these day before yesterday and they looked rest and were pretty good, but still a little doughy in the centre.  I also had a few other questions, so I started reading the thread.  Then I kept reading, and copying a few notes to myself, then reading more, and copying more, and not sleeping.  Oops!!!
But, I did copy lots of other people's changes, advice, and questions and answers.  Unfortunately, I'd didn't think until much later in the effort that other people may want to read this too, so I haven't copied names of original posters.  I was also only originally copying stuff pertinent to me, so dealing with my questions, or suggested alterations with specific ingredients or quantities listed.  If you have time, I strongly recommend reading through this whole thread, there is lots of fantastic information!!!

One question I had that i didn't find an easy answer for as the crustiness of the bread - hubby prefers a soft top on his loaves and rolls. Another poster suggested putting in plastic bag while warm, is that right or any other ideas you could offer?

I am going to follow this post with a possibly huge post which is just a copy and paste of all the odds and ends I was copying as I read through this thread. If it is too much of a double up, or too awkward being not attributed to original posters, please just delete.

Offline lozzylooloo

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: December 12, 2012, 05:49:45 pm »
This is just a copy and paste of all the odds and ends I was copying as I read through this thread. PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT THE ORIGINAL POSTER / OWNER OF ANY OF THESE COMMENTS. There are two other threads which you should read - chookies hints for making bread thread, and chookies hints Discussion thread. These are just some points I kept track of out of this thread and thought others might get use of:

Bread rolls
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=4253.120

Tweaks
Thanks so much for this easy recipe. Tonight was my third batch, I made them with 320g white flour, 200g wholemeal and I included 1Tbsp of Vinegar into the 300mls as a bread improver and they turned out great. Even DH said maybe the TMX isn't so bad!! Thanks again.  

i use 1 tablespoon of poppy seed, sunflower, linseed and sesame seeds.
For the fruit mix i use about 1 cup of mix fruit soaked in ½ cup of milk (for about 10 min)

Mum to four,  this is a basic recipe,  intended to get you started.  Just like it has you.  As fundj has suggested,  you can add various grains or seeds or fruit.  You can roll the loaf or rolls in seeds or crushed grains.  I bring to the boil,  whole wheat, let it cool and freeze it in 150/200 lots.  When I want a wholemeal roll or loaf,  I just substitute it for some of the flour in the recipe.  If the grain is very cold,  make the water warmer,  and if it is very wet,  add a bit more flour.

OMG, CC thic looks beautiful.   How much oatmeal have you got in it.?
Chookie I only had 400g of strong white flour so I added 120g of Oatmeal White bread flour.It says on the Oatmeal packet it contains Wheat Flour,10% Flaked Oats,10% Oat Bran,10% Pinhead Oatmeal, so I can't say how much I really used  36g??Tasted good though   This is the bread flour I used.
http://www.allinsonflour.co.uk/products/oatmill-white-bread-flour.html

I glazed with egg and sesame and nigella seeds and the crust was lovely

Like many other have said, this is an awesome bread recipe.  I've tried quite a few different recipes now and this one gives the yummiest loaf.  If using just white flour the rise is fantastic.  I tend to mix in about 100-150gms of wheat grain/buckwheat (ground first).  The rise isn't as high, bread is slightly denser (not much) and its delish.  I also add 2 Tbsp of chia gel (chia seeds soaked in water).  To compensate for the extra moister the chia gel brings, I increase the flour content to 540gms.  So far I haven't had a bad loaf.  I also add about 4 Tbsp of other seeds.  I was using Lupin flour for a while too (about 50gms, instead of the buckwheat), but with this loaf it makes it just a bit too dense.

yes after the 1st rise, covered with glad wrap, any where in the fridge will do

i am making 90 little rolls tomorrow  
But you must bring them back to room temp before you can cook them.
They only take 2 hours to make from the time you put the flour in the TMX bowl, until they are cooked.  If you start at 10.00am they are ready for lunch. At 12.00. During this time you only spend about 10 mins. Attending to the rolls.
If you use the cold oven start they are even quicker.  Less than 1 1/2 hours.
You could also under cook them and then stick them in a hot oven for 10 mins.  This is what I do, In fact I am doing it for lunch tomorrow.

Cover dough in or out of the fridge with plastic.  I use a cheap shower cap over a bowl as you can see through it. Spray with plenty of water.

For Tall Bread:
very simple, 1st rise in tm for 1 hour, 2nd rise in bread tin 2 hours.
Straight into hot oven.

i add upto 40g of seeds

As previously mentioned, I made the dough yesterday afternoon, let it do the first rising in the bowl, shaped them into baguette type rolls and placed in the fridge overnight.  I used 1/2 white flour and 1/2 grain flour.  This morning I bought them to room temp for about an hour, slashed and sprayed them then placed them into a cold oven set for 210o and cooked them for 30 minutes.  I was very happy with them and also a bit surprised that they even rose further in the fridge overnight.

I made these for burgers yesterday amazingly worked out my family couldn't believe it!  I got 8 buns out of the mix about 100gms each.  I cooked for 25 mins, in past my bread is always raw in the middle I think it's my oven.  I replaced 100gms of while flour with rye flour and some partially ground sunflower, linseed & sesame seeds.

Didnt rise: Did you use bakers' flour, warm water, did you use dried yeast or fresh yeast, did you make sure the yeast was not touching the salt when you put every ingredient into the bowl ?
If the water is too hot it can kill the yeast, if the yeast is not fresh, it will not work.
did your dough double in size before you baked it?  Don't give up, we all had a few dough disasters when we started .

Test the water on your wrist (remember the bread is your baby)

try heating the water and yeast 1st

1.30 mins  at 37 on speed 1

we always freeze leftover bread. I slice it and pack it in lots of 4 slices. Then take it out an hour or so before we need it. Just as good as freshly baked. Try Chookie's sourdough that is nice for a few days if you don't want to freeze it.

200Fan Forced oven,  but this depends on oven. For laucke premix, Don't add sugar or salt.  Their yeast is very good.  The rolls should not be doughy in side.  Dish with water in bottom of oven.  I would say you didn't let them double, and/or didn't cook them hot/long enough.  This recipe works well with Laucke Premix,  this is what i use.

Quick question. Do you knead them by hand after the first rise? WHen you put them into roll form or loaf? I got to page 14 with out anyone bringing it up and didn't want to look through 41 odd pages to see if someone had asked yet!
1. I have a little play because I love the feel of dough.
2. I just break of bits and form rolls - no playing here  
3. When I'm making a loaf I let it do the first rise in the TMX bowl and then I transfer it to my loaf tin with minimal handling except to ensure the dough goes to the edges and corners of the tin. No time for extra kneading here!

Q- I am still a bit confused as to whether I should knock the air out between the 1st and 2nd rises.  Does it make a difference?
A- VieveMS.  you should knock the air out , between the 1st and second rise.  Sounds like you didn't let it rise enough,  but probably more importantly,  you didn't cook it long enough.  Let it rise to double and you will still get a bit of oven bounce. Keep trying,  you are nealy there.  Buy a thermometer.  test for 200 F and it will be cooked.

Made these today Chookie with 150g wholemeal grains that I milled in the thermie - perfect

What I do for a bit of healthy variety, is bring to the boil some grain in a saucepan, let it sit in the water until cold,  strain it.  Freeze in 100g lots.  When I want to make a loaf,  I remove it from the freezer and pour boiling water over it so it is not too cold,  and the add it to the flour,  substituting it for a 100g of flour.  You have to adjust the water you add so it isn't too wet.  LSA is also nice added.
Keep experimenting now you have had some success.

I gave the healthier version a go. I also milled 200g of rye and replaced some of the flour with it. They are very nice - I like a really grainy roll. Better go and make another batch of wholemeal ones for the boys - they're half way through the one I made last night  

Chookie do I need to use the sugar?? The bakers flour I use doesn't have anything added.
The yeast works better if a little sugar is added,  however I don't like sweetbread,  so add as little as possible.  I also mostly use a Laucke crusty white mix, I add no sugar to this as it has a little already added.

For an overnight rise:
Quote from: fundj&e on December 05, 2012, 06:01:11 AM
1 teaspoon of sugar and 1/8 teaspoon of yeast for this loaf chickie and only one rise
Q: With rising overnight doesnt the dough dry out??
A:i spary water on mine plus a lid   and its ok

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:56:28 am by judydawn »

Offline Chickie

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 13, 2012, 02:41:41 am »
Nice work lozzy - thanks for this  ;D
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy cupcakes - and that's kind of the same thing :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 13, 2012, 04:01:03 am »
Thanks lozzy, it will be useful for those not wanting to read through so many pages.

If your DH likes a softer crust then I suggest you give Cookie's Vienna bread a try. It sounds like it would be the perfect loaf for him.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: December 13, 2012, 06:59:36 am »
I don't put any water or ice cubes or anything in with my bread when I cook it. We don't like hard crusts and I find all the bread I make may seem hard when it first comes out of the oven but soon softens up.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline lozzylooloo

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 14, 2012, 11:33:09 am »
Thanks, Judy, I will try to muster my courage ;) and shall give cookie's recipe a try too - thanks for the link :)

Offline Chickie

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: December 20, 2012, 03:25:51 am »
I'm about to cook my first loaf - *fingers crossed* it works out, I've only attempted the rolls so far but my middle son requested bread today.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy cupcakes - and that's kind of the same thing :)