Author Topic: Plain White rolls - no fuss  (Read 344825 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Plain White rolls - no fuss
« Reply #330 on: December 30, 2011, 11:04:50 am »
Thanks for the laugh Nola. So what did you learn from today's effort- do you think you know where you went wrong?
I just cook my rolls on a reusable tray liner so there is no fear of sticking and the bottoms are always crisp so that would eliminate the problem you had with that. Baking paper would do the job.
My second rise is usually shorter than the first one in the bowl and in your hot laundry it wouldn't have taken long at all, perhaps 15 minutes or so. You can spray your gladwrap to prevent sticking but once again, I use the reusable liners for this job too.
If the dough was too sticky to remove from the bowl, perhaps you need a bit more flour in the mixture.  Did you flour your hands to remove it, did you flour the mat you formed the rolls on.  I don't normally have to do this but if any recipe I try is a bit moist, this is what I do - sometimes that's all it needs to be workable.
Good luck with your next batch, you will crack it I'm sure.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 30, 2011, 11:26:58 am »
Lol.....don't give up Nola....these rolls are worth persisting with.
I always rise dough in my Tupperware bowl, use glad bake paper on trays, and spray the glad wrap with rice ran oil spray.
Have always had success.....you will too  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Montoya

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 30, 2011, 11:28:36 am »
First time ever making bread rolls and these were a great success! I'm very happy with the result and family LOVED them!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 30, 2011, 11:38:28 am »
They certainly do Montoya and visitors are always impressed too. Isn't it a great feeling taking a batch of perfect rolls out of the oven? Congratulations on your first effort and a successful one at that.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 30, 2011, 12:21:49 pm »
Bahahaha, Nola, what a giggle you have just given me. One thing I have found is if you put a bit of oil on your hands if you have to handle sticky dough, you should find it won't stick to them. Also maybe get some of the silpat baking mats? I have a couple on order. You can rise your dough in there too, although they aren't essential.

Not that I'm a bun expert, I'm still working on some truly fluffy buns!
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 30, 2011, 12:48:10 pm »
sticky mixture to me = light, fluffy bread/rolls. You may sacrifice a bit of dough when you get it out, but its not a lot in the long run for a better outcome.

I have a silicone mat and always lightly flour it and my hands too (not too much - think you can also oil your hands and mat...) I only cover my first rise with the mat, and once I have shaped rolls or whatever I don't cover (too messy, or if I do its with the mat again because its easier to clean). Different climates = different methods that work to get the rise without over-rising.

The first rise you need to double in size, and the second rise you just need to puff up a bit as you don't want to take all the rise out of the yeast. For the second rise, it usually takes for me as long as the oven has taken to turn from zero degees to 200 or whatever.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 30, 2011, 12:52:11 pm »
Great, can't wait for my mats to do the first rise! Thanks CP
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #337 on: December 30, 2011, 01:11:09 pm »
Nola, 2 problems.  1 you are using a TC, which will only process 420 g of flour.
                                  2. This is not this recipe.for no fuss rolls.
If you wish to make this recipe, follow the instructions I worked out for Rosie.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 30, 2011, 09:23:09 pm »
Not sure that there was any problem with the working of the TC though from what I read in Nola's post, it was more about the stickiness and then them sticking and cooking into the tray from memory.

Offline nola276

• Fishing, Caravanning, Painting and now Cooking.
    • View Profile
    • Watercolour Walkabout
« Reply #339 on: December 30, 2011, 11:14:30 pm »
Hi Chookie.  No it wasn't a TC problem, although I did overstep the recommended amount of flour for the TC.  It actually handled it o.k. except for the little dance it did while kneading.  I stayed with it the whole time, so I could prevent it dancing onto the floor, and I turned it off on one occasion when it didn't want to proceed, rearranged the dough in the jug again, and turned it back on with no problems finishing the last knead.

No.  The problems were purely womanmade (new word).  All the things that JD said did you do, I didn't :-)).  I know better now, today it's some more rolls and some pizza dough.  I have got to get this bread thing out of my system before BTDD - Back To Diet Day, which is looming on the horizon.

CP, I think you are right about sticky dough = fluffier rolls.  I have to say that even though they went into a third rise, the end result was the most fluffy, soft, delicate and delicious bread I have ever made, or bought, so much nicer than any I have ever made in the bread maker with bread mix.  Eating in the dark was quite romantic too ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:18:34 pm by nola276 »
Cheers, Nola.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why it's called the present.
My Blog: http://watercolourwalkabout.blogspot.com/

Offline Montoya

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 31, 2011, 03:10:17 am »
Thanks JD! I'm really stoked. Will try the toast in the EDC cookbook next, then Isis's rolls.

Offline nola276

• View Profile
    • Watercolour Walkabout
« Reply #341 on: December 31, 2011, 12:13:09 pm »
I was going through my plastic's cupboard today and came across two large vintage Tupperware pastry mats, the ones with the different sized circles printed onto them.  I used one tonight to make the Thin and Crispy Pizza dough, and it was great, I will probably find a home for the other one.  My pizza dough didn't stick to it either, but I must admit I did dust it with a bit of flour.
Cheers, Nola.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why it's called the present.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #342 on: December 31, 2011, 01:55:10 pm »
Nola, great to find something you can use.

Offline nola276

• View Profile
    • Watercolour Walkabout
« Reply #343 on: January 06, 2012, 12:18:30 am »
PPO - persistence pays off!  Victory over the buns!  Followed the recipe and JD's tips yesterday and the result was beautiful fluffy very tasty bread buns.  (no icon for singing :-)) - oh well) -  la la la dum dee dum dee diddly aye - in my best shower soprano!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:20:39 am by nola276 »
Cheers, Nola.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 06, 2012, 12:23:45 am »
Wonderful result Nola - I bet you are so proud of yourself as we here are too.  To think that I was able to give you advice is amazing too - I am not the breadmaker Chookie or isi are but it just goes to show you do learn something on here ;)