Author Topic: Isi´s easy Portuguese Rolls  (Read 199884 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Isi´s easy Portuguese Rolls
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 08:02:01 am »
I haven't tried the 'other' one yet Judy, but I will.  How much flour did you use or is it the same as for the rolls?  I guess I should just re-read that thread.  :-))

I used 750g white flour JulieO (just followed what Chookie did) Don't ask me why it needed more flour :P :P :P
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 08:12:18 am »
JD,   we all have a bread genie ,  and once it is out of the bottle there is no stopping us ,  so watch out.   Next time you make this loaf,  when you flatten it out, spread some olives ( if you like them) and rosemary over before your roll it up.  You may even like to cut the roll into thick slices,  lay them overlapping slightly in a baking tray and sprinkle with cheese.  (like in Bakers Delight).   Once you have a good recipe the possibilites are endless.   Go for it.  (and freeze the results). ;D ;D ;D
I'm not into olives Chookie maybe sundried tomatoes instead?) but the cheese one sounds nice. Guess we will be hearing lots of alternatives now to make with this very popular recipe and some photos too I hope to inspire us onto bigger things.  I still intend to try your recipes too Chookie.  :-*

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 08:14:45 am »
JD, you need the extra white flour to compensate for not putting in the grains.   

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 08:46:01 am »
Thanks Judy and Chookie.  ;D

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 10:11:00 am »
Im going to be looking way to short for my width if I keep reading these threads ;)
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 11:34:18 am »
Thanks for the explanation Chookie, nice to know why we do things.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 01:01:13 pm »
Followed JulieO's method when I made this today & WOW! This is the 1st bead from the TMX that is anywhere near what I was looking for. I am not a good bread maker as loaves usually turn out heavy & stodgy but this was great. Santa brought me a camera but I haven't worked out how to do photos yet. Thanks Isi & JulioO
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 02:38:57 pm »
Thank you isi! I'll be trying this one too - maybe with JulieO's adaptation.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 07:11:54 pm »
I am making this as I write. One trick I read about today and it came in good time was the following: when wanting a tablespoon of honey, place the spoon in boiling water and then in the honey glass and this will mke the honey "fall off" the spoon. I want to do both a long bread loaf and smaller rolls.
Barbara

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 04:26:44 am »
Another honey tip is to heat the honey for a short while in the microwave and it makes it very liquid.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 05:33:29 am »
Another trick with honey in my normal bread with oil, is to measure the oil first and then the honey. The oil makes the honey slip off the spoon.

Made these rolls for the guys lunches today. They look fab. I added my usual bread improver and 1 tbsp milk powder.

I have just got a book from amazon.com called 'Ratio'. It gives the standard ratios for everything you cook. The one for bread is 5 parts flour to 3 parts water, so this recipe of isi's has the right ratio!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 07:16:13 am »
isi,  I made these rolls today,   they are wonderful the way they pop up in the oven.   I had almost forgotten how rewarding making white bread is...( I have been putting too much effort into making a good sour dough loaf. )    I think I might try leaving it in the TMX to rise for the 18 hours  !   

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 08:10:22 am »
Another trick with honey in my normal bread with oil, is to measure the oil first and then the honey. The oil makes the honey slip off the spoon.
Thats a good tip as well. Thanks MeganJane
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 01:29:56 pm by Very Happy Jan »
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 10:56:47 am »
The bread worked out really well! Everybody loved it and this morning we had it toasted!!! My son said it was much nicer than the (sourdough) purchased bread! And so quick to make!
Barbara

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, 11:49:41 am »
Had friends to tea tonight and made your Portuguese rolls.    They were delighted as they are just like the rolls they used to have in South Africa,   these were also Portuguese.