Author Topic: My FRUGAL FAN CHALLENGE #1 - No more bread! (from the store)  (Read 16217 times)

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
My FRUGAL FAN CHALLENGE #1 - No more bread! (from the store)
« on: September 24, 2009, 08:01:01 pm »
I expect to be using the forum bread recipes A LOT in the coming months because I've set a new challenge for myself... Why? Because it is SO EASY and INEXPENSIVE to save money by making bread in the Thermomix! As some of you already know, since I started, I just can't stop baking. So a few weeks ago I decided to take things one step further and simply not buy any more bread (or other baked goods) from the store...!

I figure, if I talk about it "out loud", maybe I'll achieve the goal... so I started blogging about it and posted the first bread photos on the new blog:  http://SuperKitchenMachine.com/2009/1494/how-to-bake-bread.html

Mostly, I'm using a modified version of the Brioche Dough on page 116 of "Every Day Cooking for Every Family". I modify by using a blend of regular and whole wheat flours, a mix of water and milk instead of just milk, and a blend of olive oil and butter instead of just butter. Also, I add 1/4 teaspoon of Vitamin C (calcium ascorbate) powder to help with the rising. So far, the outcome closely resembles the bread my mother used to make as I was growing up -- but a little bit healthier.

This machine has brought so much new fun in my life, I can barely contain myself!
Thanks to the forum for all these bread recipes - Trying Thermomixer's Five Seed Bread next!

Cheers,
ThermomixBlogger
(Canada's Frugal Fan!)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:08:22 am by ThermomixBlogger »
ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My FRUGAL FAN CHALLENGE #1 - No more bread! (from the store)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 11:47:17 pm »
Good for you ThermomixBlogger - lovely to see someone with such enthusiasm.  I only make bread as a special treat or just to prove to myself that I can do it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 12:39:18 am »
That is the beauty of this whole thing Valerie. You can take any recipe and run with it. Sharing it is the bonus for all of us. I am with you that bread is just too expensive and for the most part a lot of crapola. I prefer to make my own. I don't eat a lot of it but when I make it I always share it with the neighbours.

Are you feeling the winter coming on yet?

Cheers,
Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 01:33:01 am »
I haven't bought bread for years, always made it from scratch even before the TMX with the breadmaker. Once you have been making your own for a little while you just won't go back! As Gretchen says it is just crapola (love that word we use it in this house to avoid the language police -DS4!!) I also notice DS3 & 4 are really affected by store bread when they have it at other people's places unplanned.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 02:08:23 am »
Well done Helene - good luck with the blog  :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 07:17:32 am »
Congratulations. I'm sure you'll be able to keep it up with the help of the TMX.
I eat nothing but 5 Seed bread now. I have to stop myself cutting the slices really thick. It seemed to stick together in the freezer so now I place a piece of cling wrap between each slice.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 12:19:33 pm »
That's a great challenge - good luck.  I'm sure your TMX will help you along nicely.  We haven't bought a loaf of bread since we picked up our TMX.  I usually do my loaves in my breadmaker and rolls and special bread in the TMX/oven.  My DS3 was given a sandwich of store bought white bread by his GM last weekend and said the bread tasted very funny.  I wasn't quite sure if "funny" was good or bad, but he hasn't complained about my bread so far.  ;D

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 02:36:00 pm »
All the very best with that challenge! We make about 60% of our own bread at home.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 09:13:14 am »
Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! Yup, it shouldn't be hard to do with TMX, but it sure is a switch in the head for someone who's never owned a bread maker. Partly I'm doing this just to show others (especially those reading my blog who don't own a Thermomix yet) that it can be done. I'm really enjoying not having to go out for bread anymore. I can actually make it faster at home than it takes to run out to the store! Before, I used to always agonize about which loaf was healthier, best value etc, and I spent a LOT of time standing around comparing loaves in the shop aisles. Now, presto, it's done!

See you again soon, on some other page of this fantastically helpful forum! (wish I had more time to visit, but I'm spending all my time cooking and blogging these days. What a life!)
Cheers,
Thermomixblogger Helene
ThermomixBlogger Helene

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 06:16:26 am »
What's your next Frugal Fan Challenge?
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 06:47:01 pm »
oh Ho Ho CathyBenson79... are you CHALLENGING me to come up with a new challenge?!?   :D ;D ;)

I suppose I may just have to RISE to that one! ;)  ;D

Hmmmm. I have been thinking about it. I did want to do "buy no more butter from the store" and that would be easy to do, but surprisingly, after testing it out...  it doesn't save us any money. :(  The cost of cream here is the same as the resulting butter from the TMX... I think I need a better challenge that will save $$$. Also, it should be something that I can actully succeed at.... ;)

Thanks for challenging me. I will put on my frugal cap once again and get busy....

hmmmm

... tmb
ThermomixBlogger Helene

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 09:25:31 pm »
It's funny, but I just decided a couple of days ago to do the same thing (well, minus the blogging  ;D ).  I've been making my spelt bread for ages, even before the TMX, because I can't digest wheat.  But I only occasionally made DH and DD's wheat bread.  But I hate the thought of the additives - and the extra cost!  So I'm trying to do all of theirs too now.

I like the idea of Frugal challenges - that fits well for me and our lifestyle  ;D
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 11:38:31 pm »
I can think of  challenge. How about we don't go grocery shopping for one week and use up what is in our fridge, freezers and pantry. Probably send the economy into a spin!

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 01:31:26 am »
And from someone who actually succeeded in doing this a little while back - IT CAN BE DONE ;) ;) ;) One tip though - get enough long life milk in before you start.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 03:32:15 am »
I love the idea of coming up with a new challenge.  The "no shopping" challenge is a great idea.  There is a website which promotes this idea, and usually allows one or two exceptions.  So for us it would be milk.  And for families with young children, the challenge does not include nappies, formula etc - it is for food only.

Should we go with this as our next challenge Helene?  Any other ideas?
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com