Author Topic: Thermomix not reaching required temperature before cooking time finishes  (Read 9474 times)

Offline ChrisH

• View Profile
I wonder if I could ask how long it takes for the thermomix to heat up.

I recently followed the UK recipe for gazpacho soup.  It required 4 minutes at 90C but after that time it had barely even reached 50C and although I carried on cooking for another 3 minutes it still only reached 80C.  At that point I just gave up and thankfully the soup turned out to be fine.

I am a little worried that my machine might be sick  :(.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
I don't know why they would set this time if it doesn't reach the temp and is not going to influence how it turns out in the end. I guess the point is that the recipe works and that's the most important thing.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Normally a recipe allows time for the TM to reach temperature Chris.
You could boil some water and see if that reaches temperature in the stated time.If it does,the recipe is naff and if it doesn't get your TM checked out by HO.
Fast and Easy cooking page 10
Water 1/2 litre 5mins100c/ speed 1
             1 litre 8 mins/100c /speed 1
I hope this helps ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline ChrisH

• View Profile
Normally a recipe allows time for the TM to reach temperature Chris.
You could boil some water and see if that reaches temperature in the stated time.If it does,the recipe is naff and if it doesn't get your TM checked out by HO.
Fast and Easy cooking page 10
Water 1/2 litre 5mins100c/ speed 1
             1 litre 8 mins/100c /speed 1
I hope this helps ;D

Thanks for this.  The jug was nearly full so it seems that it was asking a lot for it to reach 90C in just four minutes.  I must admit that I didn't really think it would be the recipe but now I'm having one of those facepalm moments  ;D

I will go and try the boiling water idea though - perhaps later when the temperature drops a little bit  :).

You're right CreamPuff - at the end of the day the soup was lovely.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Gazpacho soup is normally served cold or at room temperature so I wonder if this is why it was only given enough time to reach a low temperature?  Why would they say 90 degrees in 4 minutes though?  Mmm, how long have you had your machine Chris?  Let us know if the boiling water times work for you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Funnily enough I made this from the F&E book at the weekend too and I had exactly the same problem.  I just cooked it for a bit longer until it reached the desired temperature so  I don't think your machine is faulty. 

I wasn't that impressed with the Gazpacho that this recipe produced and I don't think I'll do it again.   I found another one which I think may be better, especially as this one doesn't cook the tomatoes.  I'm going to try it this weekend

http://journalofafrenchfoodie.com/2013/07/10/gazpacho/ 

Offline ChrisH

• View Profile
We actually really enjoyed the soup and it did taste very much like the ones we had in Spain last month but it will be interesting to know if that recipe with no cooking is better.

I was a little bit surprised to have to cook the tomatoes quite so much, I would think that a "raw" recipe would be healthier. 

I will definitely have a go with the boiling water test but at the moment it is 32C here in the UK and I'm afraid I'm a bit of a lightweight when it comes to hot weather so currently I am just sitting in front of  a fan  ;D  ;D ;D.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
This recipe is uncooked Chris Gazpacho

I think it's hotter today than Saturday :D :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:44:57 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Chris I am sure all will be well. You poor things having 32. We are ok with that sort of temperature but give us  anything below 5 and I feel like an iceblock.

Katya I love recipes from the French Foodie blog. They always work for me.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline timfulford

• View Profile
    • ATamorecreations
Being a techy type person I have worked out that it takes 7 mins from cold to reach varoma temperature. If that helps. However of course it depends on how much liquid and what the starting temperature is.
Cook with all your heart and then friends and family will not be far away