Author Topic: Wellington earthquake  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Wellington earthquake
« on: July 21, 2013, 10:14:53 pm »
Hi Jo ... just hoping and wondering if you and yours are all OK after yesterday's earthquake?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Wellington earthquake
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 10:59:32 pm »
Jo spoke about it in What are you doing today Marina, she was OK last night.  Has there been more activity overnight?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 11:00:28 pm »
They are fine Cuilidh. She posted on "what are you doing today" thread.  :)

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 12:00:48 am »
Thanks Marina, we are doing fine - shaken up, and the kids are pretty nervous/jumpy (worse after seeing news footage than after the actual shake), but we haven't had damage here, just a few things fallen over & off shelves. 

Wellington CBD is a bit worse off. 
Flights to/from Welly are back on after the runway and then navigation equipment were checked last night.  Last I heard the commuter trains were still down.  And people being asked not to go into town before at least lunchtime so the buildings could be inspected by engineers.  Lots of property damage, but luckily I've only heard of one injury from a falling TV. 

Do you still have family in this area? 

All this after the storm only a couple of weeks ago which also created a lot of mess and work - horrible for those on the south coast near Island bay - some houses with windows blown in etc, lots of fences and trees down.  Around here, part of the Petone sea wall came down, and at Alicetown Playcentre, next to Hutt Central School, our big huge tree had to come down after partly falling down with the winds! 

So, anyone want to come visit me any time soon?!  Hahaha. ;) 
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 02:47:21 am »
glad your ok.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 02:58:51 am »
Scary stuff, glad you are all ok
Denise

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 04:04:03 am »
Thanks for everyone's feedback! 

Jo, was the tree at Hutt Central the one at the gate?  I remember that from when I went to school there!

My family are in the Wairarapa, Newlands and Pukerua Bay.  They should be OK, just waiting to hear back from them now.

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 04:49:51 am »
It was a big tall tree near the park with a playground (Victoria Park, maybe?? Or maybe I just think it's called that because it's by Victoria St  :D not much help sorry).  Probably just beyond the "back" of the school, past tennis courts & field. 

I haven't heard of any earthquake issues in those areas - Karori had some downed power lines and no electricity, but that's about all I've heard about other than cbd damage.  Hope everyone's fine :)
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 05:10:11 am »
Ah, that's a different set of trees.  When I was at school there were a lot of trees along there, the one I was think of specifically was the one at the gate of the school on Railway Avenue.