Author Topic: Kindle advice please  (Read 21870 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle advice please
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 10:46:56 pm »
I have to say, while recharging my Kindle I, used the mini IPad to read a book and found it was great at night being back lit but is hopeless in bright sunlight even with turning down the brightness. Be ok indside and it also uses up the b arts unlike the Kindle.

I agree with flavourofthemonth re the 3G even without wifi you can download books from your computer.  My DH and DD are still using  their original Kindle with the keyboard but that  Kindle is a classic as it has a much longer battery life and can load more books. I find my Kindle  without keyboard and smaller does not have as long a battery life. The touch Kindle was hopeless in my opinion. 

Even using the mini iPad to read I had to be careful where I put my fingers as you can easily skip ahead or  back with a touch.

Kindles have certainly come down in price .

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 11:23:12 pm »
Gert I'll need to decide between keeping the kindle I have (I think mine is the same as yours) to use when outside or in standard light and the mini ipad at night or the new Paperwhite kindle for reading in all light situations. I don't like reading from the iPad screen as much now that I've got used to the Kindle, and you are correct that the iPad is useless for outside, so it would never replace the kindle altogether for reading. I prefer the none touch screen but the paperwhite only comes with a touch screen for turning so to get the internal light I need to give up the turning buttons. Decisions, decisions, once I have all through in front of me and I can try them out I'll make the decision then.

I've never needed been in a situation where I've needed the 3G for the kindle and find that my battery lasts for weeks, but maybe I just don't do as much reading. I also found the keyboard version too bulky for me.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 02:18:56 am »
I have a friend who has expressed interest in a Kindle. Reading through this again I was thinking the Paperwhite may be good.
DJ what did you get or did you decide to keep using your iPad etc?
Thanks for any updates. They have a Sony but have found that a lot of books are cheaper on Amazon.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline dragongirly

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 02:50:46 am »
A friend of mine has the paperwhite - she loves it.  We both have the old keyboard version and she has been pushing me to get a paperwhite  :D  It does help that she has relatives in the US and has it sent to them.

I can't justify a new kindle as my old one functions quite well, but the paperwhite is on the list for the future.
Fiona - who could be working if she wanted to get a job

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 03:13:15 am »
I've got a paperwhite and for me it's the best kindle so far. dick Smith is now selling them.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 06:00:22 am »
I love my paperwhite and if it died I would buy another tomorrow. These days I tend to read in bed with the covers pulled up over my head so as to not wake DH and it's great not needing a book light. i don't think I could go back to my old kindle now.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 07:15:57 am »
I love my paper white, I gave my old kindle to DH, if anything happened to it I would buy another one tomorrow. So much lighter than my ipad.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 08:47:14 am »
Thanks everyone. I bought a Paperwhite this afternoon.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 09:11:03 am »
Let me know what you think cookie. I might replace my DH's kindle as it is so much lighter than the original And it is back lit. I don't like it because it is a touch and when I had  a touch it drove me nuts when I accidentally touched it and it went whole,chapters ahead or back.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 12:44:34 pm »
It was for a friend Gert, she got It from me this afternoon. So far she loves it. She did want a touch one though.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 12:52:24 pm »
Noice cookie. So happy so many have Kindles.  There have been a few  good freebies lately.

Gert

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 11:56:00 pm »
Gert the only thing I still don't like is the touch screen but I love that I can read anywhere and that makes up for the touch, I still miss the side buttons.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2013, 12:13:55 am »
Yup the touch drove me crazy. I persevered for about a month then gave it away. I have the the cheap one with the expensive built in light cover. Small than the keyboard on and much lighter. I don't think they are selling the keyboard one any more and the one I own is only about $70 now. 

Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 09:27:57 am »
Another plea for help from you kind ladies. My friend just rang and is having trouble making purchases for the Kindle. Does she need to have a US address? The said the daily deal is expensive and she is told that books are not available to her, yet the Internet says they are, and the prices are different.
I told her she should have had a Sony.  ;) ;) ;)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2013, 09:31:54 am »
Cookie there are some that aren't available in Australia but I haven't had much of a problem. My account has an Australian address. So sorry not much help.