Author Topic: Meat pie filling using left overs  (Read 8237 times)

Offline dragongirly

• View Profile
Meat pie filling using left overs
« on: June 23, 2012, 10:01:46 am »
Hi All,

I have some left over lamb that I'd like to use for pie filling.  I've tried it before with the Aussie Meat Pie recipe from Meat on the Menu - but it was a bit dry.  Does anyone have any suggestions about how much liquid to add when using precooked meat?

Cheers
Fiona - who could be working if she wanted to get a job

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Meat pie filling using left overs
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:17:20 am »
I wonder if this recipe would interest you dragongirly.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline dragongirly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:30:49 am »
Thanks JD - excellent idea.  They looks so good - I can taste them already.  I shall be cooking those when I get home tonight - not long to go now.

Cheers  :)

jakodai

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 01:13:16 pm »
They look great, JD, I might give these a go. I'm not big on roasts because I never know what I do with the leftovers - sandwiches can only go so far...

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 01:35:49 pm »
Mum always made shepherds pie with her lamb leftovers - it was roast on Sunday and Shepherds pie on Monday.  I tend to go looking for something a little different for my leftovers so I will be interested to hear how this one goes girls.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 01:42:47 pm »
I just use the leftover gravy and leftover roast vegies to make pies. Chop up the meat and vegies and mix with gravy!
Though, we don't usually have leftovers. When I do a roast I make enough for five meals. We eat two, one goes to FIL and I freeze two.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

jakodai

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 01:49:16 pm »
I just use the leftover gravy and leftover roast vegies to make pies. Chop up the meat and vegies and mix with gravy!

That sounds sooooo nice!!

JD, I remember a few years ago there was a recipe that my mum found on the sun rice website for shepherd's pie made with cooked meat. It had a rice top instead of the mashed potato top which I didn't think too highly of, but the filling was beautiful. That would make a great filling for a pie. The recipe isn't on their website anymore, but from memory it was just finely diced cooked meat liquid beef stock, possibly cornflour and some veggies like celery, etc.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 01:55:31 pm »
Has to have a potato topping though doesn't it Jakodai - I can understand rice just not being the same.

jakodai

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 02:01:42 pm »
So true - from memory the rice topping was crunchy, but I was relatively new to cooking then so it's VERY possible that I just read the recipe wrong. Something like that I guess should be put on after the meat is finished. Either way, it's just not right!

This would have to be my all time favourite Shepherd's Pie. It's from the Vegie Smugglers website (I have both of her books, there's some great recipes in them). The filling is so full of flavour (I accidentally pureed the eggplant and found that it really enhanced the flavour in the sauce) and the top is half pumpkin, half potato, which I was really sceptical of at first, but it was fantastic. I made it into individual dishes and froze them, it's a nice quick easy meal for a work night that is full of vegetables. DS & I eat it out of the same dish, and it's a bit of a novelty for him - it's a very casual meal! lol

Offline dragongirly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 04:11:42 pm »
You know for some reason I had forgotten shepherds pie! I don't get a chance to make them today it will have to be tomorrow.  Still going with the individual pies though - I have a need for a savory pastry fix  :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 09:29:15 pm »
I am doing meat pies today for lunches at work...
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 11:00:59 pm »
We love left over roast meat, veg & gravy pies.
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 11:18:31 pm »
My filling is in the pressure cooker now..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

mcmich

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 11:35:10 pm »
Like MJ, I usually have enough roast left over to freeze or make pies with the meat, vegies and gravy.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 12:41:42 am »
Obie, do you use a recipe?