Author Topic: Fresh Tarhana Soup (with photo)  (Read 7875 times)

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
Fresh Tarhana Soup (with photo)
« on: June 03, 2010, 11:22:43 am »

Real Tarhana is a kind of powder which is prepared with fermented and dried ingredients like tomatoes, red pepper, onion, yogurt, flour...etc
It requires some time because of fermentation and drying. So many Turkish people prefer to go to market and buy it, including me:)
I never tried to make it all on my own but if i do some day I post the recipe

The one I post here is fresh version of this popular soup. It is a little hot because of hot pepper paste. I use an amount of 1 dessert spoon. It depends on your palate if you want to use it or not. I hope you like it

Fresh Tarhana Soup:

Ingredients:
450g tomatoes
100g red pepper
100gr green pepper
120gr carrot
65gr flour
250gr yogurt
1 dessert spoon hot pepper paste
1000gr water
20gr TM veggie stock
Salt

Margarin or butter
Dried mint

Preparation:
Chop tomatoes, peppers and carots into big chunks and put in the TM bowl. Chop for 5 seconds on Speed 4-5.
Add yogurt, flour and hot pepper paste and blend for 10 seconds on Speed 8-9
Add water and TM veggie stock.
Cook for 25 minutes at 100°C on Speed 3
Add salt if needed. Cook for 5 minutes at 100°C on Speed 3
Blend it for 10 seconds on Speed 8.
In a small pan melt some margarine or butter. As soon as it melts, add dried mint and turn off the flame. Dress every plate with 1 or 2 tbsp of sauce.

Photos: http://thermomixtarifdefterim.blogspot.com/2010/03/fresh-tarhana-soup.html

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Fresh Tarhana Soup (with photo)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:49:04 pm »
This really looks like it would make a pot full!! It is soup weather over here in Aussieland now.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 02:05:39 pm »

I like when it is winter over there because it means it is summer time over here!  :D

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 05:57:46 pm »
I'm with you on that Farfallina - I always find it hard not to get too envious when we are knee-deep in snow and most people on here are talking about BBQs   ;) ;)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 01:38:33 am »
The fermented mix sounds interesting.   The fresh variety also looks good.  Interesting with the dried mint & butter sauce - a bit like what the Indians do with curry leaves and panch poran (?sp)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 10:45:18 am »

Once upon a time people used to eat vegetables when it was the right season
You couldn't find them out of their season like we do now  :o
I guess that's why they used to prepare dried and fermented mixes
I like using spices, they are used often also in Turkish cuisine. I am not very familiar with Indian food yet
I am planning to make some Indian recipes in the forum  ;)

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 06:23:39 am »
Hi Farfallina, I just joined this forum and have been looking at a lot of the recipes when I discovered your Turkish ones... I got so excited - we lived in Istanbul for nearly 3 years and I love the food so much - I miss all the fresh seasonal ingredients. I never really learnt to cook Turkish food and we don't eat out much anymore (3 small kids) - so I am looking forward to trying some of your recipes in the Thermo.

My all time favourite is the Ezogelin soup - I noticed it in Turkish on your blog, but my Turkish is very rusty  ;) would you mind translating in English please? What about lahmacun - this is my hubby's fave (I think he put on about 2kg just in lahmacun for lunches!). Another favourite is Yogurtlu Kabak Salatisi (not sure if this is the right name, the yummy zucchini yogurt dip served as a starter in a seafood restaurant). My son used to love simit and pogacas too - have you tried to make these in the thermomix before? Sorry to inundate you, I am just so excited about eating Turkish food again!

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 03:10:39 pm »

Hi hopefulcook

I am sorry for replying so late. I was on holiday in Turkey. I am hoping to be more active soon again

I am happy to hear that you like Turkish cuisine. You may find some Turkish recipes in my blog and also here that I previously posted
I will translate ezogelin soup as soon as I can
Since I am back recently I still have some things to take care of but soon I will go back to my routine so I will have more time

By the way Lahmacun is one of my favourites too.
When I used to live in Turkey I'd buy quite often. Also simit. (I currently live in Italy)
I never had to make them myself before. As a person who lived in Turkey you'd know that they are very cheap and also tasty. Even if they are traditional, most of the time they are traditionally bought, not cooked:)
Since I started to live here I missed them a lot too and I've been trying some recipes
I haven't found a recipe yet which would taste as good as the ones in Turkey. So I keep trying
I've made "açma" and posted in my blog. I still have to translate it. I will do it soon, promise ;)

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 01:40:32 pm »
Fantastic, thanks farfallina I am looking forward to trying more of your recipes. I cooked the Evlan Kiz Corba and my Mum and DH both loved it - tasted very 'authentic'. I am also excited I found a distributor selling Turkish groceries including red pepper paste and olives. I hope you enjoy Istanbul I was there Feb 09 and still miss it so much! I'll keep checking here and your blog for new recipes. Cok Tessekular Ederim!

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 03:03:02 pm »

Oh so you talk a little bit of Turkish! Rica ederim ;)  :D
I am happy you liked elvan kiz soup. I like it a lot too
It is a great luck that you are able to buy turkish groceries
I have difficulty to find them around here
As a matter of fact, whenever I go to Istanbul I bring some stuff like hot pepper paste, fine ground bulgur etc
I will soon translate some other recipes incl. the ones you requested

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 05:16:08 pm »

I've finally posted the recipe of Ezogelin Soup which you asked me for hopefulcook
I hope you like it
I got that recipe from a Turkish book
There is also mom's version. I will send it too some other day :)