Author Topic: Ice-cream recipe help needed  (Read 10589 times)

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
Ice-cream recipe help needed
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:58:16 am »
Good morning everybody
My almost 4 year old is obsessing about ice-cream lately so I think it is time to give it a go in the TMX. (for his birthday)  We don't ever eat ice-cream as we are sugar free but I thought I might relax enough to use some rapadura.  Or some other natural sweetener.
So, can somebody steer me in the direction of an ice-cream recipe which is going to give me a result as close to store bought ice-cream as possible.  Something really creamy and able to be put into a cone would be great.   What is the secret of creamy ice-cream in the TMX? I don't have an ice-cream maker.  Would I get better results with an ice-cream maker?
Any suggestions very appreciated!  thanks!
Susan

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Ice-cream recipe help needed
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 05:39:06 am »
I think Tenina does ice cream really well and hers is the only TMX recipe I have tried that works well in cones (I don't have an ice cream maker though).  We love making her chocolate ice cream for a real treat every now and then (check out the link below). I have made a half batch using rapadura.  It had 100g of powdered rapadura (15 seconds on speed 9) and a 100g block of rapadura sweetened chocolate.  :)

http://tenina.com/2008/06/all-scream-for-icecream/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 06:21:40 am »
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 06:25:52 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:23:11 pm »
I find the recipe in the EDC book good. Someone once said that its creamier and less crystalised if you use icing sugar instead of normal sugar. Just mill it at the start of the recipe.
Honey ice cream works really well too. No need for sugar if you are putting in honey.
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 04:27:02 pm »
I use the EDC recipe as well and find it great. I usually blitz it at least twice & sometimes 3 times. Yummo
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 10:59:52 pm »
I use the EDC recipe as well and find it great. I usually blitz it at least twice & sometimes 3 times. Yummo

Sorry if this seems obvious, but when you say you blitz it 3 times, do you mean refreezing in between each of those times?
thanks
Susan

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 02:29:10 am »
That's right Susan, refreeze and blitz again.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 07:39:26 am »
Would one,that I have for yogurt, cream and honey,  suit?

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 08:27:34 am »

I tried this today with powdered rapadura.  Perfect!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 11:53:43 am »
Would one,that I have for yogurt, cream and honey,  suit?

I think I am good for the ice-cream in time for his birthday thanks but would love a yoghurt based one when you get a minute to post.
I ended up making the one out of the Everyday cookbook and my goodness, it is SO GOOD!  I used coconut cream and cream for the base, rice syrup as the sweetener and blitzed it 3 times - it is so smooth and tasty, I am so excited to have a delicious and healthy ice-cream.  I have to say, I wasn't convinced that it would taste even close to store bought ice-cream - I was imagining that it would be icy and hard like my previous attempts without a TMX.  Even Mr TMX doubter was impressed with this one.  Now, does anybody have a good recipe for making waffle cones without a waffle iron?  My next challenge........ there is no way I will be game enough to purchase any more kitchen equipment for a long time!   :)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 03:11:21 pm »
mmmm waffle cones  ;D ....

could you (if you have one lol) make the recipe and perhaps cook them in a toasted sandwich press? Mine has an adjustment on the side so you can sit it and the lid doesn't go all the way down, that way you wouldn't squash all the batter out and when it was cooked you could just roll it up like you do with a waffle maker...

other than that I don't have a clue as I have a waffle maker  :D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline RubyRoo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 06:10:42 pm »
Can't offer any advice on the waffle cone making, but re the icecream, I make a super-simple icecream for my kids, that is sugar-free, and has nothing but fruit, and they love it!
I keep some peeled & frozen bananas in the freezer, then just throw in 2-3 bananas (break up into 3-4 pieces as putting in bowl), and a handful of frozen berries.   Whizz it up on about speed 5-6 for about 30secs, then scrape down sides of bowl and whizz for a few more secs, and hey presto, you have icecream!  The creaminess comes from the frozen bananas.   Can also do with frozen mango pieces instead of the berries, for a yum alternative.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 04:23:37 am »
Tarosuma,  Bruce's Ice Cream.

1/3 cup of yogurt
2/3 cup of cream
1/3 cup of caster sugar
Heaped desertspoon honey

Beat altogether in TMX until sugar is dissolved
Freeze in icecream machine.

You could substitute the sugar for something else,  and if you  don't have an icecream machine follow the freeze and zap method.

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 04:30:13 am »
could you (if you have one lol) make the recipe and perhaps cook them in a toasted sandwich press?

I don't actually even own a sandwich press.  We don't eat alot of grains so have never thought to buy one.  I will put that on the list of appliances I am not allowed to buy now since buying the TMX!   I wouldn't even be game to suggest a new vacume cleaner these days or I would be met with the usual response of "What?  Doesn't the thermomix clean the floors?"     ;)

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 04:34:02 am »
Can't offer any advice on the waffle cone making, but re the icecream, I make a super-simple icecream for my kids, that is sugar-free, and has nothing but fruit, and they love it!
I keep some peeled & frozen bananas in the freezer, then just throw in 2-3 bananas (break up into 3-4 pieces as putting in bowl), and a handful of frozen berries.   Whizz it up on about speed 5-6 for about 30secs, then scrape down sides of bowl and whizz for a few more secs, and hey presto, you have icecream!  The creaminess comes from the frozen bananas.   Can also do with frozen mango pieces instead of the berries, for a yum alternative.

Thanks RubyRoo, that sounds yummy - I used to do something similar with an Oscar Juicer and frpzen bananas.  I agree it is good when you are after a dairy free ice-cream like treat.  Will give it a go in the TMX and see what it is like - thanks.
Susan