Author Topic: Our pets with photos  (Read 559922 times)

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
Re: Our pets with photos
« Reply #1500 on: August 18, 2014, 01:22:56 pm »
Did they miss you while you were away CP?  :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: August 18, 2014, 04:20:11 pm »
I think they did DD. I heard from our neighbor that he could hear them barking sometimes during the day, and because I work from home if I heard them I would investigate or tell them to be quiet. I know they are mischievious but they are angels really. My son was living at the neighbbors for the past week and was emailing how noisy they were, how they need training, and how they've chewed a bit of the retic - but hey! they were only occupying themselves when there was no one around throwing them toys and balls and talking to them. Now I'm home they are sitting perfectly and butter wouldn't melt in their mouth. When I say sit - they sit.

Each pet we get, when they pass on the next one will "benefit" as a result of what we think we did "wrong". Now that our kids have grown up I've taken out pet insurance for the twins (not sure its worth it at this stage but thats the gamble). I haven't even told my DH how much it costs per month cos he would freak even if I told him the half price cost  :D (and he'd say a bullet would be cheaper  :-))).

One of my biggest regrets with our last dog was not getting all the vetinary services. We still forked out thousands over the years, but if we had gone ahead with absolutely everything I think in hindsight maybe the end wouldn't have been a) so bad or b) such a guilt process because you can't afford everything the vet suggests (hence the insurance)

7 months ago when I took Baci to the vet for his regular groom he hadn't been himself for over a week. In the previous year or so his most major problem was that an illness had overtaken him very quickly called SARS (sudden aquired retinal degeneration).  Towards the end we managed to get a urine sample whilst he peed on a bush and the blood test was easy. Of course it was a Friday and I was told that the result would be in on Monday. It was a long weekend, and an especially painful one for him and a devastating one for me to watch my dog decline. I had no family around and no one to bounce off so I just focussed everything on him on the hope that he was only temporarily sick and I could ease him through. I kept hoping that on Monday all would be revealed and he would be cured with treatment. By Sunday 5pm I was googling "how to tell if your dog is dying" and he was ticking all but one box. By midnight I said goodnight and goodbye and didn't think that he could possibly last much longer. I think he lasted throughout the night because he needed one last goodbye. I will never forget as I was holding him in my arms and he turned to me and he just seemed to "soak up" my face with complete adoration (he was blind). My neighbor called the vet first thing in the morning and as soon as they saw him they stuck the morphine in. That was one of the worst days of my life.

My neighbor had the presence of mind to ask the vet there and then what the blood/urine tests revealed and they had it there on hand (??) and said kidney failure and high uric acid level. She said there was absolutely nothing we could do for him. When I left in the car and was doing up my seat belt, I noticed that he had lost what little was left in his bowels and that was the last box ticked off. Poor Baci he would never do that.

When he passed on, the plants just blossomed even within a week. He had killed off some plants seemingly overnight and I wondered why I never picked up on this. I had thought that maybe he had peed on that plant many times and it just couldn't take it and keeled over, but as the end drew near I now know his uric acid was so high the plants were just dying quickly and even overnight. Gee, I even noticed some stains on the exposed concrete that I'd never seen before that he'd peed on. What sue_purrb says about dozing times is absolutely correct.

I would recommend getting the blood & urine tests courton as they will tell you a lot.

I know this is a really long winded post, but knowing that it will be around forever in cyberspace I hope in memory of Baci it helps someone and some pet. A month later I got the twins and they have gotten me out of the house to exercise them which I've always enjoyed. I have stopped absolutely every dog and owner that is willing to assimiliate these little puppies. In the process I have met so many wonderful people along the walks. Even my son has met people that these little puppies have introduced me to when he's been walking them and they've asked where I've been  :o  How special is that?

Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: August 18, 2014, 06:51:01 pm »
Thanks for sharing your painful story with us CP, you are right in doing so to make other dog owners aware.  Hugs in memory of your beloved Baci.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: August 18, 2014, 07:31:03 pm »
What a sad story CP about your beloved Baci.I agree that you do meet some great people dog walking.I'm sure Chance would love the Twins too ;) ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: August 18, 2014, 11:08:24 pm »
I try and abbreviate my replies usually otherwise they'd all be that size ;)

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: August 19, 2014, 12:15:47 am »
CP, thanks so much for sharing your sad story of your beloved Baci. 

"Each pet we get, when they pass on the next one will "benefit" as a result of what we think we did "wrong". "  That is so true CP,   I am finding this out now

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: August 19, 2014, 12:35:16 am »
CP  so sad to read about Baci. The loss of a pet is very sad.

Your puppies are adorable and hopefully will give you years of love, loyalty and fun.

I too meet lots of lovely people while walking my two dogs  :D

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #1507 on: August 19, 2014, 01:02:24 am »
CP and Sue Purb, thank you for the detailed reply. The urine test did not reveal anything but I am taking her tomorrow for blood tests. At the last two appts, the vet said quietly she has a heart murmur. I wonder now if this is linked as well. We adore her but having my parents in the nursing home (high care) and dealing with those issues on an ongoing basis, I think I was unconsciously not wanting to find out if there was going to be a downward spiral with the little dog. Oh dear.

CP, we had pet insurance until last year. Once our dog turned 12, the pet insurance company hiked the premium to $1200 per year!! So be aware they are going to increase the premium dramatically as the dog gets older.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: August 19, 2014, 06:16:49 am »
CP, we had pet insurance until last year. Once our dog turned 12, the pet insurance company hiked the premium to $1200 per year!! So be aware they are going to increase the premium dramatically as the dog gets older.
You're kidding! Thanks for letting me know this, I will ask them the question. Thats daylight robbery. I may cancel and put the money aside in a special bank account to use for vet bills.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #1509 on: August 19, 2014, 06:53:08 am »
I did a lot of research recently about pet insurance. Basically there are 4 under insurers - so no matter who you go through it all goes back to the same destination. My premium went up from $40 a month to $60 and then a $100 a month. My insurance company was Pet secure. No matter what the vet bill was the max I got from them was $20. I would NOT recommend Pet secure. But 12 years ago there was not much choice and people did not insure the dog. Now, you can insure dog as part of house insurance ( which we have done but it only covers for accidents).

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #1510 on: August 21, 2014, 11:22:38 pm »
Well, the urine and blood tests were inconclusive. So the search for a reason for our dog's problems continues...

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: August 21, 2014, 11:54:32 pm »
That makes it hard courton, I hope they find the cause.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: August 22, 2014, 03:38:19 am »
Am currently paying $90 per month for the two puppies. I really am in two minds about it, as I'm probably better off putting the money aside in a bank account. If a big bill came in there would still be an excess to pay  :-)) whereas if I put the money aside I'd probably cover the lot...hmmn

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: August 22, 2014, 04:17:37 am »
I agree CP apart from the I initial first year costs of puppies they are generally pretty much once a year expenses  until they grow old.
Even $60 a month would cover it

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #1514 on: August 22, 2014, 06:39:07 am »
CP, the insurance does not cover the $200+ you pay every year for annual check ups, vaccinations etc. If we had set up a direct debit for the dog we would have been well and truly covered for all the medical costs now. It is hard call. Until the dogs are 7 years old, it is easy to change insurance companies if you are unhappy. After that, you cannot.