Author Topic: Article on Gluten Intolerance  (Read 5322 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Article on Gluten Intolerance
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:11:03 am »
Interesting reading:

Gluten Intolerant
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Article on Gluten Intolerance
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:30:24 am »
Interesting reading MJ,
so we are much better to make our dough the day before and keep in the fridge then bake the following day?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 01:39:28 pm »
Interesting, what is the recipe used? I couldn't see it.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 03:02:08 pm »
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 03:38:22 pm »
Thanks Cecilia  ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 05:47:19 pm »
Very interesting article indeed- I do have two points however,
1. Why has the author not supplied his/her name and instead uses I.N.Cognito?
2. Those people that are truly gluten intolerant ie coeliacs such as myself should probably disregard this article. Even if someone gets no or limited symptoms if they eat gluten (as suggested with a longer fermentation time), anyone with proven gluten intolerance who regularly consumes gluten can get long term complications such as anaemia, malabsorption syndrome, osteoporosis, shortened life expectancy, small bowel lymphoma etc- the list goes on.
I do however think that it is an interesting observation of how our Western diet has evolved over the years ie much more processing of foods and less time going  back to the basics. There has to be a reason why food intolerances and allergies are becoming much more commonplace. all I can say is one more reason why we should all rejoice having our thermies!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:34:12 pm »
You're welcome, Meagan.

Merlin, Who knows?  But it is obvious from the comment discussion that the author of the article and recipe is "clive lawler", and he refers t two books he has written.  Excuse me for not going through the many comments on the original article again, bt somewhere he gives his address too, which I vaguely remember as northern NSW or south eastern Qld.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 01:44:49 pm »
Yes, he does give his name and address. The recipe is also on the site. I'm on my iPad right now, but will find it later on and post the link.

I was speaking about this concept with a friend who is a coeliac and she was very interested in the idea.  She said her mother used to make bread the old fashioned way when she was a young girl. She was able to eat bread made with wheat all through her childhood.  Her gluten intolerance only happened later on.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 02:22:42 pm »
Just realised cecilia linked to the recipe.

Thanks cecilia!
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 06:55:37 pm »
Thank you for finding the author's name etc meganjane.
It is also interesting that in the past Coeliac disease was considered a paediatric disorder ie only happened in childhood. In fact , these days, the majority of new diagnoses occur in adults (of any age). For some reason, the genes which predetermine someone's likelihood of developing Coeliac disease get 'switched on' and then symptoms develop. The reason that the estimate of only 10% of those patients who have Coeliac disease  know they have it is that many patients may actually have no or mild symptoms only and don't realise they have Coeliac disease. Researchers are obviously looking at why there has been this shift towards more adults developing the symptoms later in life rather than childhood.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein