Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 8927103 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #35175 on: December 03, 2020, 06:44:54 pm »
My goodness everybody is busy cooking and baking, It all looks so delicious,
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 06:46:55 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #35176 on: December 03, 2020, 07:53:04 pm »
Julie, love your experimenting.  Never thought to make brown sugar.  Always make castor sugar.
Cookie, nice.  Good idea to send them away.
Last night cooked a large 1/2 chicken in the BBQ. Ate it with salad. Will make leftovers into chicken and mushroom pies.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #35177 on: December 04, 2020, 05:24:50 am »
I needed to replenish my vanilla bean paste, used up the last a couple of days ago.  I used the same recipe as last time from Changing Habits as I was really happy with it.  I still had some of the Maleo from last time so it didn't take long at all to make some.  Also my beans (being newer) were more soft/plump so they blitzed down very well and I didn't need to strain any fibres out like I did last time.  Once cold it goes a lovely thickened/gloopy paste.

Of course you can't scrape all the vanilla seeds out of the bowl so I made up a half batch of Thermomumma's custard to incorporate the seeds.  Will think of something to use it with but I couldn't let them go to waste  ;D

https://changinghabits.com.au/recipes/vanilla-bean-paste/

I've also made these chicken nuggets using the recipe below.  Have read that kids love them.  I had everything in so made a batch.  I used breadcrumbs instead of ground almonds.  I got 22 out of the recipe..  I put 2 aside and I frozen the rest to take out when needed.  Have read they bake well from frozen but I may try in my airfryer to see if they come out okay.  I lightly fried the 2 I put aside as I was curious and I thoroughly enjoyed them in a sandwich with a little mayo.  The zucchini and carrot give them moisture.  I think the mixture would be great formed into burger pattie size served with salad in home made burger buns.  The crumb mix makes enough for 2 - 3 lots so I've put that in the freezer for now.  Will make for a quick meal next time.  :)

https://skinnymixers.com.au/skinnymixers-grain-free-chicken-nuggets/?fbclid=IwAR0XI5zIfqaGUC99Yae3o4YUFkf21WUhXvvqBOdECz4tYHy_CtWLPNrx6GM

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #35178 on: December 04, 2020, 10:10:21 am »
Julie, thanks for those 2 links. 
I soak vanilla beans in Vodka.   After a couple of years when it is looking a bit weak I drain the liquid off and remove the beans . I mince the beans in the TMX.  It makes a stringy paste.  Still has flavour.  I use this in dishes where you can’t see the paste.  I keep it in the fridge. I will try your method. Thanks.
I think the kids would love those chicken nuggets. I usually use just Chicken breast , cut into cubes.  Pinko crumbs for coating.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What are you cooking today?
« Reply #35179 on: December 05, 2020, 09:11:37 am »
These recipes sound great JulieO I have plenty of vanilla paste at the moment but will try the nuggets.
I’ve made my fruit mince today, a Classic Loaf and rolls for tonight’s Chicken Burgers.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #35180 on: December 05, 2020, 08:23:22 pm »
Cranberry crumble, teriyaki tofu, Spanish bean stew and stir fried beans and carrots.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #35181 on: December 05, 2020, 08:39:38 pm »
I tried a new recipe for fresh Salmon pancakes.  Needs tweaking but taste good.
Another Xmas cake.  I’ve made 3 different recipes now. This one Sunbeam recipe. No soaking fruit.
Looking at a recipe for Brioche tarts filled with cream cheese and strawberries.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35182 on: December 06, 2020, 08:40:30 am »
I put some fruit in to soak for a few days. I used to make a small Christmas cake for an Uncle. This is the same recipe for a very dear friend who lost his wife last year.
I've also made a rye SD to put in the fridge overnight.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #35183 on: December 06, 2020, 08:03:24 pm »
I grew a new SD starter.  Took a while as it has been cold here.  Compared to my old one it is very sweet. Bubbling away nicely.  My old one was not behaving well, so I used all of it except for a cup.  Washed out and sterilised the jar and began feeding it slowly.  It is now very happy again.  With the new starter I made SD crumpets to give to the gut Dr.  I now have just my old starter.
Made watercress and potato soup for lunch. Used the last of the Brioche buns.  Will certainly be making more.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #35184 on: December 06, 2020, 08:16:19 pm »
Julie, thanks for those 2 links. 
I soak vanilla beans in Vodka.   After a couple of years when it is looking a bit weak I drain the liquid off and remove the beans . I mince the beans in the TMX.  It makes a stringy paste.  Still has flavour.  I use this in dishes where you can’t see the paste.  I keep it in the fridge. I will try your method. Thanks.
I think the kids would love those chicken nuggets. I usually use just Chicken breast , cut into cubes.  Pinko crumbs for coating.

Yes I also have vanilla extract and vanilla powder that I both make too.  Don't use much powder but sometimes recipes call for it.

My GS loved the nuggets so will make them again for him and I will try making burger patties from the mix too to see what they turn out like made into a burger.  :D

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #35185 on: December 07, 2020, 01:41:01 am »
More Christmas cooking for my hampers.  2 of Kimmy's Boiled Fruit cakes, mini Christmas puddings, strawberry jam.   My strawberry jam kept on boiling over so I ended up finishing it on the stove.  The pic shows the second boil over.  The first one went all over the bench and tmx.

I must be over working my poor tmx as I have some fine oil dripping onto the base of the machine.  I made some enquires and the bearings  are going in the blade so have now ordered a new set of blades.

The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #35186 on: December 07, 2020, 01:41:48 am »
Yesterday I started on these sourdough overnight coffee scrolls and finished them off and baked this morning.  So, so good.  Only used half the coffee icing and it was plenty.  The bread part was so soft and fluffy.  DH and I had one and I've put the rest in the freezer.  Very happy with these  :D

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #35187 on: December 07, 2020, 01:44:39 am »
Oh dear Mab what a mess.  I hope you get your blades quickly, especially being so close to Christmas. All your baking looks delicious.  :D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35188 on: December 07, 2020, 03:37:19 am »
Mab, how annoying. Your food looks delicious. I usually make the mini Christmas puddings and the fruit cakes look yummy.

JulieO those Coffee scrolls look so soft and fluffy. I haven't made a lot of sweet SD. I  must do some more.

I have my overnight SD rising and I need to make some biscuits today.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35189 on: December 07, 2020, 05:19:10 am »
Great cooking girls, I won’t be doing any but I’m going to enjoy seeing what everyone else makes.
Is this the first time you’ve replaced your blades Margaret? 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.