Author Topic: Finger food for 60 people  (Read 23328 times)

Offline kezza

• View Profile
Finger food for 60 people
« on: April 18, 2014, 01:29:48 am »
My sons are turning 30 (where did that time go!) and they would like a party at our place for 60 friends.  I am undecided about whether to cater myself or have it catered for me.  I thought if I got my act together now I could prepare and freeze a fair bit now I have a food saver. Anyone out there done this before? Any ideas and hints would b gratefully appreciated from food ideas to logistics.  I really want to do bite size food, rather than a banquet style.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Finger food for 60 people
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 02:38:54 am »
Kezza I think you could do it easily. Have lots in the freezer and on the night just keep it coming. On the night you could have pizza pieces fresh. From the freezer Sausage rolls, mini meat pies, Amy's quiches', Judy's caramelised onion tarts, dips that had been made on the previous day with biscuits and perhaps crudités, even little cheese rolls from the freezer that had been heated up.
I'm sure people will think of tons more things.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:53:11 am »
Yep, you can do it!
Just have less variety but more of it, rather than alot of variety and not much of each to make it easier on yourself. :)

I would do some things to be served cold that can be prepared and assembled ahead as well as hot food, do you want to serve it all at once or throughout? Could do more snacky for a start (think cheese, crackers, dip etc) followed by a bit more filling savory (sausage rolls, quiches, club sandwiches etc) then finished with sweets (slices, cake, whatever)
just ideas of course.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to make!!! :)

:D

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 02:59:46 am »
I tend to cheat and get a nice large piece of beef on the weber and have hot beef rolls with gravy.  Dips and nibbles before and sweets after that are easily made the day before. 
Denise

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 03:53:10 am »
There is always the old fashioned prawn night.  Banana leaves on the table and dump the prawns on top. I catered for a wedding once and they wanted prawns so i spent  all day peeling  and cleaning them. The bridegroom was royally pi$$ed  off with me as I then learned that peeling prawns for a party was a big huge no no. It is every man for himself in OZ.

Anyway that might make a nice starter and busy hands keep them from guzzling the grog.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline medusa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 05:08:21 am »
If you do it yourself make sure you have an army of helpers in the kitchen or else you will be in their yourself all night pulling things out of the oven and putting things in.  Maybe look at hiring a pie warmer thing, they aren't expensive.
Medusa, in Oz

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 06:30:52 am »
Kezza,  you can do it.  Just a matter of resources and planning.  Keep the hot food coming at intervals with cold food available all night.  I would suggest ice cream wafers for sweets as well as a spectacular cake.  Make ice cream and freeze it in rectangular containers, ( 3 colors is nice). When ready to serve, slice and place between 2 wafers and serve. No plates and everyone loves Ice Cream.  A large cheese platter with fruit and nuts is also great.  Good luck and have fun.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 06:58:07 am »
60 people is so easy.  lots of finger foods, quiches, savoury puff pastry bites, dips, fruit platters, cheese platters, thai fish cakes,

I do a bread stick cut up into slices, top with premade bolognaise sauce, grated cheese, heat in oven.
mini spring rolls,

a bit of planning but easy
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

mcmich

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 07:15:38 am »
Happy 30th birthday to your boys Kezza.  :D

To make it easy on yourself finger food that can be made ahead and then frozen and reheated on the night would be good. Judy's caramelised onion, fetta and mushroom tarts that Cookie mentioned are great - they freeze well and are easy to reheat. Thai chicken sausage rolls, pre marinated kebabs that just have to be thrown on the barbie. Wonton wrappers placed in muffin tins and baked - they stay fresh in an air tight container for up to 4 days and filled with Asian chicken salad or whatever. Vol-au-vents. Chicken wings, they can always be served cold. 

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 10:48:33 am »
Happy birthday to your boys kezza. As others have said its doable with some pre planning and organisation. I would also add just make sure you have helpers otherwise you will be in the kitchen the entire time.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 11:13:54 am »
i known u could do it Kezza , but really................. get it catered  :-))

i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 12:07:11 pm »
Thanks girls for all your input and encouragement.  I'll let you know what I decide.  If the catering is too expensive (I'm still waiting for quote), I will do it myself.  I also think there could be a special announcement in the family later this year where it would be more appropriate for me to use catering!  ;) 

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 12:08:29 pm »
wedding bells?  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 12:08:52 pm »
That sounds exciting news kezza ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 11:55:43 pm »
I would cater, no stress and enjoy the party.

However its doable with a large freezer :)

What about 1/2 catered & you do 1/2.

News....... Oooh love exciting news :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:58:05 pm by Halex »
Mum to Crown Prince......