Author Topic: thermo server where to buy locally (test result)  (Read 54032 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: thermo server where to buy locally (test result)
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2012, 10:06:08 pm »
Vieve, we usually need more than one thermosaver anyway so even if you do hold a demo just to get one, you are going to have to buy others elsewhere. I love my TMX one, I find it so much easier to use than the one I bought from an Indian grocery store.  The TMX lid just plops on top of the bowl, the Indian one has little tabs in the lid which have to slot into the bowl and this always takes time and I have to use a knife to get the tab into the slot.    I only want to keep my food warm for a short time, no more than 1/2 hour perhaps whilst I am cooking rice or vegies so the one with the slot for the spoon from Ikea, perhaps you could cover it with alfoil so as not to lose any heat.  I thought that was a bit of a silly idea when I first saw it had that slot.

Have a look around at different containers, they all do the job.  Have a demo if you feel like it but it's a lot of work for the demonstrator if you are just having it for the thermosaver.  I say be kind to our demonstrators unless there is a chance a guest may purchase a machine and really, you never know.  Once they see this machine in action, anything could happen.  Having said that, I have never had a demo either as I don't have friends who would buy one either  :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2012, 01:03:48 am »
Thanks for bumping this and therefore making us aware of other options for Thermoservers. I know tupperware have/had one too. Not sure how effective it is. The Ikeas one seems cheap though and it would be good if someone could test the temperatures of these for us.

Tasty, I have the ikea one and two Indian shop ones.  The ikea one looks the best and it does keep food warm for a while, the lid on the Indian ones seals tight so they do do a better job at keeping food warm for longer and are good for traveling.

I use the ikea one mostly as I don't need to keep food warm for hours  - normally I use it if I cook rice first, put it in the Ikea dish and then cook the main meal and about half an hour later serve.  It keeps the food temp for an hour easily.  If I need to keep it hot for two hours or so (eg when the kids eat hours before us but having the same meal) I use the Indian ones.  What I really like about the Indian ones is the sealed lid - great for summer when I cook up dinner and we take it down to the park or beach and eat it as a picnic and the kids love it!

Offline Yarrenbool

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2013, 07:33:32 pm »

The one that I purchased at the Indian kitchen store in Toronto, Ontario was called "Kitchen Sense stainless steel hot pot".  It is from the Ashridge Trading Company--www.ashridgetrading.com--am just trying it to-day, although the store clerk told me that they do work for keeping things hot, they were not to be used for cooking.  Marnie

Following your suggestion I contacted Ashridge and they mailed me the 3 hot pot package at, I think, a pretty good price, charging what they paid to CanadaPost for S&H.

A bit slow in mailing but all three hot pots had small dents in them! Nothing major but if instead of buying them for myself I'd planned them as a gift they would have been unacceptable.

I like the way the lids lock on. Construction seems a bit on the flimsy side so I think they will have to be handled with care. If they do keep things hot and cold for a few hours then, even with these minor problems, I think they are good value for their cost.

I haven't had time to check how well they keep things hot or cold yet.

How do you find their heat-retaining performance?

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 07:36:35 pm by Yarrenbool »

mcmich

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2013, 09:54:16 pm »
Goldfish gave me these 2 thermoservers. I think she said they are from the Indian Grocery Store.
They are fantastic, more efficient than the Thermomix thermoserver. The lids lock in and I'm very happy with them.  :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:14:06 pm by mcmich »

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2013, 10:13:14 pm »
They look good mcmich, will keep an eye out for Indian grocery store.

Marie

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2013, 10:31:22 pm »
Great idea. I will check out our local one. I have often thought I could use an extra thermo type dish.
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2013, 11:29:11 pm »
Glad you like them Mich!

For anyone in Sydney ...
They're from The Indian Emporium, 1/910 Pittwater Road, Dee Why  (between Howard Avenue and Dee Why Parade just opposite the Dee Why Library)
They came in two sizes...can't remember how much they were ATM but will check next time I'm there...

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:40:06 pm by goldfish »

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2013, 11:42:35 pm »
They look good Goldfish
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Alexis

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2013, 10:53:14 am »
Does anyone know where I could get something similar in Perth?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2013, 11:56:57 am »
The only ones I have seen over my way are horrible plastic ones.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/