Author Topic: Valerie's Yoghurt & Yoghurt Cheese  (Read 180006 times)

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
Re: Valerie's Yoghurt & Yoghurt Cheese
« Reply #165 on: May 16, 2010, 01:14:14 am »
In case anyone is after some recipes using yoghurt, the easy-yo site has a glut of them:

http://www.easiyo.com/recipes/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #166 on: May 17, 2010, 01:34:01 am »
Thanks for the link - very helpful
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Georgie

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2010, 05:46:01 pm »
interesting - I might try this original recipe way back at the start of this thread. I'm looking to get back into making my own yogurt (keep buying it, and it's so expensive), but am currently trialling A2 dairy products for digestive issues and there's no powdered A2 milk which rules out the TMX book recipe. Jalna do a potset natural A2 yogurt to use as a starter :)

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2010, 03:21:32 am »
Quick question; using the 900 15 minute method, is it 15 minutes from the time the milk reaches 900 or 15 minutes from the time you put it in the TMX?

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 21, 2010, 05:49:03 am »
Quick question; using the 900 15 minute method, is it 15 minutes from the time the milk reaches 900 or 15 minutes from the time you put it in the TMX?
Well in the absence of any reply (yes I'm impatient  ;)) I decided to go with my gut which was the former (i.e. 15 mins from the time it reached 900. It took almost 15mins to get to 15 so is about 30 mins in total.

In the fridge now cooling to 370. I have a remote probe that I use for roasts and this really does the trick here as well!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2010, 07:08:56 am »
tonydav, recipes are written for total time, so it should have only been 15 mins - the heating process is taken into account ;) Hope that helps. Which recipe are you using? I use the one that is at the start of this thread every second day with great success.

also Goergie, the same recipe at the start of the thread doesn't use powdered milk so you should be able to make it with the A2 milk and A2 yoghurt for a starter and then after that save some of you batch for the next starter and you will be fine  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2010, 08:31:48 am »
Using that recipe, with the variation discussed on one of the (many) pages of this thread to change to 900 and 15 minutes.  I didn't think that this is how they're normally written (including by me with my recipes :)). 

Also must remember next time not to put it in the Thermoserver before I put it in the fridge :-)). I somehow forgot that it insulates and that would slow down the cooling heaps.....  Oh well, long day and was in a hurry to free up the TMX to make Pizza dough... yum...

tony

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #172 on: May 21, 2010, 05:46:31 pm »
I prepare yogurt in  one gallon batches (3.78 liters)  and getting it up to temp is not a problem but that volume can take some time to cool.

I have a tall, round container (I think it was originally intended to store long pasta) that I fill with ice water and immerse in the hot milk, moving it around gently and using the probe thermometer to constantly check the temp.

This will rapidly bring the milk down to the correct temp for adding the culture.

I learned this "trick" many years ago from an Armenian neighbor who used a baby bottle filled with ice water. 

*I use the same method for rapidly cooling chicken or beef stock that is going straight into the fridge or freezer.  Stock pot in sink full of ice water and the ice water filled container in side the pot will cool stock down in five to ten minutes, depending on volume.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #173 on: May 21, 2010, 09:12:00 pm »
Excellent idea andie!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 22, 2010, 12:01:06 am »
We use a similar system for home brewing. Called an immersion chiller.

I think my biggest problem was putting it in the fridge in the thermoserver  :-)). It really insulates well!

My batch turned out well.  Now I just need to find uses for 2L of yoghurt!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 22, 2010, 12:12:25 am »
My batch turned out well.  Now I just need to find uses for 2L of yoghurt!

LOL I can send you a couple of teens that will eat it in a day or so  ;D :o :-))
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 22, 2010, 12:21:34 am »
How do you prepare it for them for 'normal' eating? My kids are 5 & 7 and used to the typical small tubs at the supermarket.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #177 on: May 22, 2010, 02:53:19 am »
Also, as mentioned in earlier posts in this thread, you can strain off the whey and end up with "yogurt cheese."

I usually do half of a batch this way (I use a salad spinner lined with cheesecloth to speed up the process)  and my breakfast often consists of bread or toast, thickly spread with it and topped with tasty things such as roasted sweet peppers or spicy peppers with thinly sliced onions, chopped olives with herbs and spices or with some sweet things such as preserves (low sugar as I am diabetic) or fresh fruits.

This morning I had just such a sandwich filled with halved yellow cherry tomatoes from my garden and sliced red onion. 

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline versaceyoyo

• View Profile
    • the thermomix diary
« Reply #178 on: May 22, 2010, 06:00:48 am »
How do you prepare it for them for 'normal' eating? My kids are 5 & 7 and used to the typical small tubs at the supermarket.
My yoghurt is now quite thick so all I do is make up a raspberry coulis and pour some of that over the top for my 3 yo to mix into the yoghurt at daycare and she eats it no problem.  If they are used to sweet yoghurt then you could start with this and see how they react!

I also experimented with making a sugar syrup to add along with some vanilla which was pretty good too.

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 22, 2010, 07:02:26 am »
Wow what a great thread full of useful information and recipes. Will have to have a go at some yoghurt in due course. Thanks.