Author Topic: Help slicing onions - large quantity  (Read 13243 times)

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
Help slicing onions - large quantity
« on: December 01, 2011, 01:20:33 am »
I've just been asked to help slice onions to be frozen for a cub scout fundraiser barbecue in a few weeks, end product: sausage & onion on bread with sauce.  My first thought was - where are my goggles - then I thought I could quickly do a whole heap in the TMX.  But I don't want to turn them to mush. 

Has anyone done a large quantity, was it successful for nice frying, what speed and timing should I do and how many onions to do at 1 time?

Offline wombat

• View Profile
Re: Help slicing onions - large quantity
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 02:45:51 am »
Not too sure about slicing in thermomix, I would personally use one of those slicing board thingos.  When I did a lot of onions for a function, I was told to deep freeze them as they keep really well.  Big mistake that was!! even though they were in ice cream containers and sealed tightly, the onion smell permeated everything else in my freezer and I had to throw everything out.

You can buy already sliced frozen onion in packs at Coles and Woolies. Not too sure where you live but the price for onions has been ridiculous in brisbane for a while......perhaps frozen sliced might be cheaper.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 12:31:08 pm »
TheTMX chops not slices Viv so I think you could forget about using it for this task. Get out the goggles
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 01:11:29 pm »
i  use an electric slicer ,cut the top off only and peel ,dont cut off the root part thats when the tears start  :'(
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 01:37:56 pm »
I use my Magimix for slicing so if you have a food processor with a slicing disk, I would probably use that.  Quick and tear free!

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 10:03:14 pm »
Thanks for your replies. I should have rephrased the question to "are TMX chopped onions acceptable to BBQ to get a similar result to that of sliced onions". I can't see that it matters but I don't BBQ meat so what would I know! 

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 12:14:24 am »
I think when it cooks down it will be fine  ;) speed 4/5 should do it ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 05:05:51 am »
Thanks for your replies. I should have rephrased the question to "are TMX chopped onions acceptable to BBQ to get a similar result to that of sliced onions". I can't see that it matters but I don't BBQ meat so what would I know! 

I don't think it would be suitable, especially if it's for adding to snags.
You really need them sliced for a bbq, so I would definitely use a food processor with thick slice disk.....especially if you are making lots!

My barbie loving hubby would have a fit if I chopped his beloved onions in the TM  :P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 10:33:30 am »
I would test one out on a slower speed def not speed 5 as that wil chop them too fine but maybe 3 or 4 for a few seconds..i have had success but cant remember exactly except that it was a slow speed as mentioned..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 07:45:18 pm »
Hi . . I had this job a couple of months ago and tried all sorts of options including the slicing attachment on the Kitchen Aid (which does NOT do a good job with onions!). . . the only one that really worked was a Borner (Boerner?) V slicer (- made in Germany - so must be good!!! ;D ;D)  - it was fast and no tears.  Double bagged the sliced onions in those big zip bags but STILL left overpowering smell in the fridge.  I did 7-8 Kgs. and did it the night before.  Once you get into the swing of it it goes really quickly and the slices are nice, thin and even - and cooked up really well.  Maybe try to store in a well iced Esky to save your fridge. 

Your BBQ may have come and gone by now, but if you're still looking for a solution I'd strongly recommend this.  Good luck!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 08:22:27 pm »
I have a very good v slicer  too, but it scare the **** out of me just like a pressure cooker does  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 11:57:56 pm »
I have a mandolin with a safety holder thingy on it - no problems.  Also got a pressure cooker. Wouldn't be without it now. I did a lot of research and bought an eight litre fagor stovetop its fantastic

mcmich

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 03:27:37 am »
There is a new electric slicer out. I can't remember the brand, it is $89.00 and slices really well.