Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 507539 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #1080 on: August 08, 2013, 01:47:09 am »
I started and nearly finished this book on last nights flight rom Brisbane to Cairns. It was not the best book I have ever read and certainly no literary masterpiece but the author tickled  my fancy.  In fact my fancy was so tickled my fellow passenger was probably disgusted with my laughing crying and snorting  out loud.   Somehow this book reminded me of the writings of Tom Sharpe who allows his characters to run amuck , say and do the most outrageous things.

The book is cheap. Dear Coca Cola.
http://www.amazon.com/Dear-Coca-Cola-ebook/dp/B0052XP1AE/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1375922321&sr=1-1&keywords=Dear+coca+cola

Tom Sharpe Books.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D154606011&field-keywords=Tom+sharpe

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: August 08, 2013, 02:44:42 am »
I just read the preview on Amazon kindle and going to buy it now. Hilarious  ;D

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: August 08, 2013, 02:48:55 am »
Just bought it as well - along with another of his books, Dear Air 2000.  I need a good laugh.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #1083 on: August 08, 2013, 06:00:41 am »
Just bought it as well. Very funny!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: August 08, 2013, 06:27:06 am »
I had to buy Dear Air s well. Very funny guy. So absurd that  people reply  in ernest or go along with his joke . I love how he ends some by going  over the top . Makes me giggle.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: August 08, 2013, 08:55:22 am »
I have just finished The little coffee shop of Kabul and have started Letters from Skye
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #1086 on: August 10, 2013, 09:42:49 am »
Finished Lionel Shriver's "Big Brother" today.
She's a very good writer who really doesn't mind giving her readers a bit of a run for their money.  This book about family, food and our relationship to both is great - uncomfortable, but great.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: August 12, 2013, 01:10:58 am »
I have Big Brother on reserve at the library...but so do 38 other people before me.  I certainly find her a thought-provoking writer!
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: August 12, 2013, 01:44:33 am »
Finshed reading on Friday "Buddaland Brooklyn" which raised my eyebrows a few times whilst reading. Not knowing much about the Buddist religion there were a few things that squashed the few facts I thought I knew, but it wasn't until reading the acknowledgements at the end that the author had taken some artistic liberty.

Just started reading "The Great Gatsby".
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: August 12, 2013, 06:30:25 am »
We have Big Brother as a book club book in a few weeks when the holds hopefully come through from the library, I've heard good reports and enjoy her writing so expecting quite a lot. I'm just about to ready The beauty shop of Kabul after reading and thoroughly enjoying the coffee shop of kabul although I've been told it's not as good.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #1090 on: August 12, 2013, 07:51:00 am »
We have Big Brother as a book club book in a few weeks when the holds hopefully come through from the library, I've heard good reports and enjoy her writing so expecting quite a lot. I'm just about to ready The beauty shop of Kabul after reading and thoroughly enjoying the coffee shop of kabul although I've been told it's not as good.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of Big Brother. Like the mother in "Kevin", I found the sister in this book to be willfully blind to what was happening around her and, thus, incredibly frustrating.  Shriver is a very good writer, but I don't think I'll put myself through any more of her books.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: August 12, 2013, 03:38:17 pm »
I'm just starting "Caleb's Crossing"by Geraldine Brooks.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #1092 on: August 23, 2013, 12:20:52 am »
I've just finished "How to be a Good Wife" by Emma Chapman. An engaging look at a woman whose empty nest has prompted her to stop taking her medication.  My review here - http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/701508251

Not sure what to start next.

What is everyone else reading?

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: August 23, 2013, 06:56:37 am »
I am reading  The Black Box  by Michael Connelly I must have bought months ago, I also have Aug and Sept issues  of Vanity Fair to get through plus the latest Delicious mag.  I am taking my time reading my new Salsa Cookbook given to me by MF's DH. I have a new iPhone book DH bought as he bought himself a new iPhone so I should read it. I have a new Ts cattle dog and some pamphlets to wade through plus I have not finished last Sat SMH on line.

I need to commit to some errors read.ing time and stop  cruising on line.

Gert

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: August 23, 2013, 07:04:55 am »
I am reading  The Black Box  by Michael Connelly I must have bought months ago, I also have Aug and Sept issues  of Vanity Fair to get through plus the latest Delicious mag.  I am taking my time reading my new Salsa Cookbook given to me by MF's DH. I have a new iPhone book DH bought as he bought himself a new iPhone so I should read it. I have a new Ts cattle dog and some pamphlets to wade through plus I have not finished last Sat SMH on line.

I need to commit to some errors read.ing time and stop  cruising on line.

Gert

I like Michael Connelly. Is that his latest Harry Bosch book, Gert?