Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 507265 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #990 on: June 01, 2013, 09:27:02 am »
I wasn't sure where to put this but if you are looking for some free books on your iPad then the iBook store has heaps for free at the moment. There may be one or two that appeal to you.

Good one cookie.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: June 02, 2013, 02:30:40 am »
I'm enjoying the house of god, as a non medical person I find it fascinating, funny but a bit scary too as I suspect it's all true! Also enjoying reading 'What Katy Did' to the kids, a favourite of mine when I was a kid.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: June 02, 2013, 08:59:06 am »
I have finished the latest Katherine Howell. I think it is her best so far. ( Web of Deceit). I have just started. The Preacher by Camilla Lackberg.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #993 on: June 02, 2013, 01:08:01 pm »
Reading, "the Black Sea, a History".  Getting ready for our trip.  Started " gone girl", will have to make a big effort to finish it.

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: June 04, 2013, 02:54:44 pm »
I really enjoyed The hundred year old man who climbed out of the window. Now reading Flight Behaviour by Barbara Kingsolver - excellent so far. Also just finished katherine Furnivall Shadows on the Nile

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #995 on: June 05, 2013, 02:41:06 am »
Do non TMX cooking books count.  ?  Bought 'Honestly Healthy', by Natasha Corret and Vicki Edgson.  $40.  It is about why we should eat alkaline rich foods. It is well written and easy to access information.  Plenty of recipes that I wish to try.  Plenty of recipes for whole grains and seeds.  Will try 2 recipes today and post if good.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: June 05, 2013, 02:48:30 am »
A book is a book Cookie, cookbooks are all I do read  ;D    Must go to the library one day though and have a look around although I will probably still come out with cookbooks not novels  :-))
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: June 05, 2013, 03:43:17 am »
Do non TMX cooking books count.  ?  Bought 'Honestly Healthy', by Natasha Corret and Vicki Edgson.  $40.  It is about why we should eat alkaline rich foods. It is well written and easy to access information.  Plenty of recipes that I wish to try.  Plenty of recipes for whole grains and seeds.  Will try 2 recipes today and post if good.

I love the sound of this . . .Might see what you think of this, Chookie, and then get my own copy . . . :D

I checked these two online book sellers and they had it discounted . . .these two, Fishpond and Bookdepository, are always worth checking . .

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Honestly-Healthy-Natasha-Corrett-Vicki-Edgson/9781906417819    $27.70 free shipping

http://www.bookdepository.com/Honestly-Healthy-Natasha-Corrett/9781906417819?redirected=true&gclid=CKr4t87wy7cCFQdcpQodfEkAXg      $26.23  free shipping

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #998 on: June 05, 2013, 05:49:00 am »
GF,  the problem is that with cooking books,  I like to have a good look to see if there are at least 3 recipes that I would make.  We do use Book Depository for other books.  The other problem with books posted ,  is that the PO will not deliver them and it is 1 hour round trip to pick them up.
Made one of the recipes and the end result was very good,  but i had to fiddle with the recipe to get it to work.  It also gave the TMX a good work out. It said that it makes 15 biscuits ,  but made 27 nice size.  This biscuit is based on Brazil nuts and almonds with prunes , apricots and seeds. No added sugar or fats.
Don't buy it until I try a couple more recipes,  although I must add that the reading/theory part is very good.  It also does not have a lot of exotic ingredients.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #999 on: June 05, 2013, 06:07:03 am »
I can see people using snaprecipes app on their phone to  grab recipes in cookbooks in the shop!

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1000 on: June 05, 2013, 06:19:20 am »
I can see people using snaprecipes app on their phone to  grab recipes in cookbooks in the shop!

Gert
Naughty,  naughty Gert.  You should see the looks I have had in the DR waiting room when taking a photo of magazines.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: June 05, 2013, 06:35:08 am »
Better than tearing the page out!.

GERT

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: June 05, 2013, 06:50:42 am »

Gert
Naughty,  naughty Gert.  You should see the looks I have had in the DR waiting room when taking a photo of magazines.

Me too, Chookie  :D :D ;D  be even better now I have the snaprecipes app.

Marie

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: June 05, 2013, 11:07:13 am »
Just downloaded some books from iBooks as cookie mentioned free ones, thanks cookie, but I just finished paperback Echoes by Maeve Binchy, I read it a few years ago and really enjoyed re- reading, it is one of her earlier ones and I just love her characters

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #1004 on: June 05, 2013, 11:11:57 am »
[/quote]

I bet they're thinking "oh why didn't I think of doing that? :D:D
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/