Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 507479 times)

mcmich

Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #855 on: March 26, 2013, 06:27:31 pm »
I am the same cookie and remember using my pocket money to buy Nancy Drew books and the Famous Five series. I always passed on my books too but now share my kindle account  with my 2 DD's, DH , DIL, SIL and GD so I think we get our money's worth and a great variety of books.

Loved Nancy Drew and the Famous Five. I only have about a dozen books now, have passed all the rest on. Only borrow books from the library now or buy them very cheaply at garage sales or op shops and then donate them back if no else is interested in them. It is frustrating though when the library doesn't carry a tittle you want.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 27, 2013, 03:33:52 am »
As I child I loved the Secret Seven books.  I can remember as a young girl in England, my mum would take me into town to pick up the new book out, I so treasured those books.  I was so sad to have to leave them behind when we moved to Australia.  :-\

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #857 on: March 27, 2013, 09:14:53 am »
I just loved secret seven and famous five too.  And Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn were  favorites too. Then as I got older alistair McLean.  My friend Flicka and all the thunderhead sequels, cs Lewis..... Etc etc. such wonderful entrancing worlds.  Really looking forward to encouraging the grandchildren.  Oldest are 6 so still young but ehen they stay we read them The Naughtiest Girl books and Famous Five.  One of our six year olds is reading "chapter boos" and loves them.  So pleased. Can't wait to start reding the William books to them as we'll :) (Richard Crompton) - so funny. 
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 28, 2013, 12:48:40 am »
I recently read the first 'naughtiest girl' book to the kids (I was so excited when they chose it!) and just had to order the others in the series so we can read them as well. Love that I get to re-visit my childhood favourites! I also ordered 'What Katy Did' - another one of my old favourites, hopefully the kids will like that too.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 28, 2013, 03:39:03 am »
DS is starting to like being read chapter books now - so I get to revisit some old favourites too.  At the moment it's Charlotte's Web here.  Probably not one of my most favourites, but my niece & nephew borrowed my Narnia series.  Maybe we will try the first Harry Potter soon.  ;D
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

jakodai

« Reply #860 on: March 28, 2013, 11:08:04 am »
Oooh, Jo - that sounds exciting! How old is she? I always loved reading as a child - I remember there was one book that I started reading over the school holidays that I loved that much I read it in a day and a half. I really want DS to enjoy reading as much as I did, and still do. He's on the right track - he loves having books read to him - but what 3 year old doesn't, right?  :D  How old is your daughter?

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 28, 2013, 01:37:09 pm »
jo_nz you just brought back memories of my DD who was obsessed by charlottes web. Wasn't my favourite either but  she loved it and she is now 35 lol. Sadly none of my girls liked Enid Blyton and I tried soooo hard to encourage them.... I guess time moves on and that's what makes the world go around

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 28, 2013, 02:04:53 pm »
My DD (the eldest) loves Enid Blyton.  She read and re-read all the Famous Five and Secret Seven. She still loves them at 28 only now she is trying to collect first editions.

When the girls were little they used to play famous five with their 3 friends from down the road.

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 28, 2013, 02:10:38 pm »
Den none of my kids were particularly  interested in Enid Blyton much to my disappointment. It wasn't for the lack of trying but I guess each to their own and 3 out of four are avid readers and the other one getting there even although she is 35 lol  ;)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #864 on: March 28, 2013, 10:16:03 pm »
anyone else using Good Reads?
I hear that Amazon have just bought them.  Not sure I'm all that happy about this - seems like Amazon is trying to own reading.  :( >:(
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 28, 2013, 11:53:28 pm »
Just started reading Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #866 on: March 29, 2013, 12:13:13 am »
Amanda, am a member but found their yearly popular recommendations "not quite there" for me...

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 29, 2013, 11:28:43 am »
anyone else using Good Reads?
I hear that Amazon have just bought them.  Not sure I'm all that happy about this - seems like Amazon is trying to own reading.  :( >:(

Yes DD uses it. She mentioned today that Amazon had bought it.

I have just started my book club book. Fields of Gold by Fiona McIntosh. I am enjoying it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #868 on: March 29, 2013, 11:18:58 pm »
Just bought the new Harlan Coben book  Six Years.  Sounds good :)
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 29, 2013, 11:53:48 pm »
I always enjoy Harlem Coben Jude. My DH is reading Six Years at the moment and really enjoying it.