Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 510292 times)

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #375 on: October 03, 2012, 12:29:52 pm »
I am reading the Magic Faraway Tree to my youngest now, its her first "chapter book". I am so excited that she will be in these worlds, and then....Narnia!! My childhood favourite.

Well I have finished reading the latest Jack Reacher, loved it for a good annual JR fix. Am now reading "Sweet Poison" all about sugar and finding it absolutely fascinating. I rarely read non fiction but this has me captured.

I finished Sweet Poison about two weeks ago and it has made me reduce my sugar intake dramatically, a really interesting read and also how we have been mislead on the low fat or low carb diets.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 08, 2012, 10:04:26 am »
Just about to start "Tripwire" by Lee Child

Marie

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 09, 2012, 12:36:43 am »
I read the first two Reacher books while away after reading this thread. I don't get a lot of time to read these days and being part of a book club those books were coming first but I really wasn't enjoying all the romance's that we seem to be reading. The Reacher books were much more my type of book and I enjoyed them. I've downloaded the whole series so I have them on hand and I'm sure I'll very slowly get through them. I also reading Cutting for Stone and while I'm enyoing it it's a bit heavier than the Reacher books. I also read the latest Jeffrey Deaver one while i was away.

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 13, 2012, 10:17:15 am »
I have just finished an excellent first novel by Rachel Joyce called The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry; now reading The Shadow Girls by Henning Mankell - good so far.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 13, 2012, 09:09:09 pm »
The secret history of Bletchley Park. By Sinclair McKay.

Really fascinating all about the war time code breakers. Started today on train. Very good. It was one of my Christmas presents last year. DH read it and raved about it.

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 15, 2012, 10:34:59 am »
I visited Bletchley Park when I was in UK on holiday last month - it was so fascinating we went back for another full day two days later! There were so many books there we couldn't choose so ended up with none. If you visit you get a ticket that is valid for a year so you can go back and visit again; although there are some extra charges for different parts of the complex.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 15, 2012, 11:04:22 am »
I'm hanging out for the new paperlite kindle. Not sure when its gong to be released here in Australia.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 15, 2012, 11:17:47 am »
Not so sure about this Kindle s it seems to be back lit. It says though you can read in any light. I will ne'er buy another touch Kindle though. I had one and it was a major pain in the ass. I gave it to my GD . My fingers kept advancing it by the chapter. Love to see it in the flesh though.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 15, 2012, 12:26:41 pm »
No it's not back lit Gretch, its got 3 LED lights that apparently are a very ingenious invention. Lots of good reviews, only for the thin part on where to hang on to it

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 15, 2012, 12:31:38 pm »
Yeh that is where the touch bit comes into play. Very touchy. LOL! I hated it but the light sounds good and the long life . Might have to have a good look when it comes to Au

I am finishing the bottle of limoncello and reading the much neglected Casual Vacancy which I am thoroughly enjoying.
Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 15, 2012, 01:04:07 pm »
I downloaded that one too Gretch. My kids have always raved about the Harry potter series so I thought this should be good also. Another book I'd downloaded was One Day. Plus a couple of others next to my bedside.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 15, 2012, 08:53:42 pm »
CP  I am not a fan of fantasy but I read every Harry Potter book from cover to cover right through in one sitting . I think it is the writing. I am loving  The Casual Vacancy but am reading another at the same time because I don't want it to end! silly I know.

Gert

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 15, 2012, 10:33:38 pm »
Thanks Shayla for tip on Bletchley Park.
Very useful. We do want to go.

Gert, what's this about kindle bother, I thought you had 6?!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 15, 2012, 11:14:54 pm »
Wish I hadn't read this thread, didn't realise the Kindle Paperwhite had already been released in the US. I love my kindle but hate having a light that needs to be attached seperately, and hate having a cover with integrated light even more. Like you Gretchen I'm not a fan of the touch, but I've already put in a request for a quote on the paperwhite with priceusa so what the $ figure is and how long before delivery. There are a lot of mixed reviews but if i can get one for around $150 I'm prepared to risk it through priceusa.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 15, 2012, 11:22:15 pm »
Thanks Shayla for tip on Bletchley Park.
Very useful. We do want to go.

Gert, what's this about kindle bother, I thought you had 6?!

Yes but I keep giving them away!!  Now I have my Kindle plus kindle on my PC, IPhone and iPad .

Wish I hadn't read this thread, didn't realise the Kindle Paperwhite had already been released in the US. I love my kindle but hate having a light that needs to be attached seperately, and hate having a cover with integrated light even more. Like you Gretchen I'm not a fan of the touch, but I've already put in a request for a quote on the paperwhite with priceusa so what the $ figure is and how long before delivery. There are a lot of mixed reviews but if i can get one for around $150 I'm prepared to risk it through priceusa.

I love my current Kindle best but would consider the paperwhite.  Better go read the latest reviews.

Gert