Author Topic: Zucchini Brownies  (Read 47291 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Zucchini Brownies
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 05:07:24 am »
What a great idea Cathy.  Did you have to add any extra yoghurt?  I struggle to get things blending when there is more grain than liquid.  :)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 05:18:23 am »
No, it was very thick, but didn't need any extra yoghurt.  I had the same doubt, but was amazed that in adding the zucchinis, the moisture from them created the "vortex" that is required.

Apart from the soaking time, this method seemed quicker as you don't have to get things in and out of the bowl.

The middle of the brownies is really smooth and moussy.  The girls and I love them, but DH is still requesting "normal" brownies.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 06:07:46 am »
Tell your DH that if he can hang in there another day or two I will have a very yummy whole grain soaked brownie recipe on my blog (without zucchini's). I am making it (and hopefully perfecting it) this afternoon if my kidlets cooperate.  ;) ;D

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2010, 06:17:02 am »
Looking forward to it.  I'm really enjoying your blog  :-* :-*!
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2010, 06:55:16 am »
I am loving writing it. ;D

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 06:19:34 am »
Wow. Fabulous. I wish I had seen this before I went shopping - can't wait to try them. I am going to substitute 1/2 the sugar with dates. And maybe next time substitute all off it with dates and prune puree to see how it goes.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2010, 02:56:15 am »
Wow. Fabulous. I wish I had seen this before I went shopping - can't wait to try them. I am going to substitute 1/2 the sugar with dates. And maybe next time substitute all off it with dates and prune puree to see how it goes.
Zebraa, I'll be very keen to hear how your substitution goes.  Love reducing the sugar in anything that the girls like and they looooove this one. 

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2010, 03:43:19 am »
I'm going to make this on the weekend so I will let you know!'

do you use stevia at all? I get it very cheap from the markets so we use that a lot in baking - eg instead of using a cup of sugar I will use 1/4 c and 1/4 tsp stevia. It increases the natural sweetness so often I won't use sugar at all but dates and bananas and stevia - in things like muffins etc.

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2010, 06:51:51 am »
My boys aren't keen on this anymore  :-)) so I haven't made it in a while, but I think stevia should be fine.  I personally don't use stevia much as it is quite refined.  I add a pinch to my baking every now and then when I want a little more sweetness than rapadura provides.  :)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2010, 08:48:02 am »
No haven't used stevia at all - just rapadura in everything, and go for low sugar recipes as much as possible.  For DD, the main thing is low unrefined sugar, and to eat it with some good fat to help slow down the sugar effect as much as possible.  Need to avoid the sugar highs.

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2010, 02:55:58 pm »
How is stevia refined? The stuff I get is just dried leaves - I get it from the growers. I did have a plant myself until the little one pulled it out. Ratbag. I have saved the seeds so in spring I might grow it again.

Where do you get rapadura? What exactly is it? My bulk food place doesn't have it :(

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2010, 04:49:42 am »
Sorry Zebra I assumed that you were using the powdered stevia.  Rapadura is evaporated cane juice and you can get it from some health food stores, co-op's and through online distributors like biodistributors.  It is a great replacement for sugar in recipes and has a sweet wholesome taste.  :)

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2010, 12:40:48 pm »
I love fresh cane juice! Yum.

I made this today! Awesome. A bit to strong for the kids because I used dutch cocoa and dark choc. I used dates for half the sugar (the rest brown sugar as I had no rapadura) and they were good - I did them dry -Ii think they would have blended in better if I had soaked them in hot water foist as I usually do. I did a Spelt/rye/millet/buckwheat grain mix for the flour and did half beetroot and half zuchinni. Very very yum. Beautiful brownie consistancy and not too sweet.

Offline ladybird

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2010, 01:57:07 am »
thanks so much for these, just made today and they are absolutely delish - DD (nearly 3) loved them and kept wanting more. they are healthy enough (with wholemeal flour) that i wouldn't actually mind, except that then she would think its ok to have limitless brownies!! I might cut down the choc chips next time to increase the healthy ratio..I did throw in a handful of fresh blueberries too and they were yummy

thanks for reminder re fridge storage, I wouldn't have thought of that and great that they freeze, though our freezer space (top of fridge) is tiny :(

I'm still waiting for my rapadura order so next time will use this and will try the soaking, i am about to start introducing that more in my cooking..

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2010, 05:08:53 am »
I'm so glad you enjoyed them.  I really need to make them again.  :)