Author Topic: Bread beginner needs HELP  (Read 9378 times)

Offline Wiz (not)

• View Profile
Bread beginner needs HELP
« on: August 02, 2011, 06:48:29 am »
I have never made bread, ever. I have trawled through the recipes here and instead of it looking easy it looks fraught with difficulty for me.  Double rising, special bread tins, water in the oven.  Oh no, can't do!  Please could someone send me a simple fail-safe ordinary bread recipe (I don't care whether it's a pull-apart or a loaf, just e a s y) so that I can, for the first time, using my new Thermomix, try it out with reasonable prospects of success.   :-\  Whiz (not)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bread beginner needs HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 06:51:42 am »
Hi Whiz, welcome to the forum.  It was a long time before I succeeded with bread but this one is failproof. Give it a go, it can be made as a loaf as well as rolls.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 06:52:06 am »
Try chookies no fuss bread, I hadn't made bread until a few weeks ago and now I buy none. It is so satisfying and really not hard. Just get in there and have a go. Oh don't do what I did the first time I made pasta,buy specific bread flour. I used ordinary plain flour and the pasta was awful. Have fun.
Denise

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 06:52:53 am »
JD great minds think alike
Denise

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 07:50:54 am »
Wiz don't be scared. I have just started with the bread making "Thing" it all looked so hard. I am loving it now.

Make your next loaf when you have a few hours at home so your not stressed.

JD suggestion is good

Enjoy
Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:05:56 am »
Wiz,  don't panic.  I wrote this "NO Fuss" recipe just for you. ;D If you have any problems just get on to the Forum and ask for help.  No question is silly.  Plenty of good bread makers here.  Hally's advice is good, do it when you are NOT under any pressure. Go for it.

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 08:29:18 am »
Good luck Wiz. I'd never made bread before I got my TMX in February. Now I never buy bread, and making it has become one of my favourite TMX activities. Allow yourself plenty of time, so that you're not worrying about whether it will rise in time and be cooked before you've got to go out, etc.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 09:08:29 am »
Wiz, I think there must be a request difference between fail safe and fail proof. Not sure what failsafe requirements are, but just make sure you check the ingredients first to meet your needs.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 07:32:04 am »
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your breadmaking!!!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 11:10:33 am »
Wiz have you made any  bread?
You cant beat home made bread
This weekend i had bakery bought cibatta in my freezer, the boys defrosted it, were not happy and threw it in the bin. I make vthe best bread now, well a few minths ago dh told me not to bother, now they dont wantbanything else

So give it a go

Hally

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 11:35:48 am »
found this recipe for ciabetta

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 01:39:58 pm »
hi wiz not...like everyone says its pretty easy so dont let the recipe daunt you...not sure about a fail safe recipe?? but if your after fail proof i agree go with chookies no fuss bread recipe and you dont need bread tins and such just a baking tray would do fine...and the two rises make a better bread otherwise it would probably be way too dense and not that nice...the water in an oven proof containter is just to make a nice crust on the bread (you just put it in full of water when you preheat the oven)... its easy as because you just put everything in, knead it together and leave in thermomix bowl until it rises once (around double in size)..dont go on set times as it depends on temperature in the air if its raining or not etc etc just keep an eye on it and put itsomewhere warm if you want it to rise quicker but a slow rise will make a nicer bread (just for info)  the second rise you form it into the shape you want it cooked in and here you can get creative or just form it into a loaf shape or individual rolls and they rise the second time again around double in size then off to the oven they go....its more about patience than talent when it comes to bread as its quite forgiving really so give it a go and dont be disheartened if your first loaf isnt as great asyou imagined...keep at it and before you know it you will never be buiying bread again!  Like others said dont be afraid to ask any question no matter how silly you think it is...we have all been there at some time or anohter...happy bread making  :) :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 01:43:56 am »
I usually use the white bakers flour in my bread recipes, but if a recipe said "rye" flour - is that a flour that you would get from the health shop or a special bakers rye flour? Same query re spelt, etc

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 02:06:36 am »
CP63,  there are 2 types of bread flour.  One is just' hard' flour,  that is it is strong as it is made from wheat that has a lot of gluten.   The second is Bread Mix.  This has added salt, sugar and improvers,  but not necessarily preservatives.
Then there are a variety of other flours,  Rye and Spelt and many others.  They do not have as much gluten as wheat flour,  so need longer raising and /or more yeast.  Rye is often sold as Dark or Light.
Health Food shops often have a variety of flours,  but other food shops do also.  Whenever I see  an interesting flour,  I buy it.  When you are making a loaf it is wise to substitute only 1/3 of the white with Rye etc.,  until you have a feel for how it will behave.
I use Laucke Bread mix.  So does Maggie Beer.
In today,s Age Newspaper, (Victoria),  there is a comprehensive article about Sour Dough.  You may find this interesting.  Hope this helps,  I have tried to Keep this simple,  and answer your questions. ;D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 12:39:38 am »
Cp thanks for the cibatta link, will try this at some stage
Hally :)