Author Topic: So breadmakers...  (Read 8169 times)

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
So breadmakers...
« on: September 09, 2010, 03:21:30 pm »
How do you store it?

We have a Tupparware container but it is dark coloured and I always forget and it goes mouldy. So then I put it in a cake tin instead and same thing happens. I am wondering if I am letting too much or not enough air circulate and that might be encouraging mould.

Also, how long can you keep bread dough in the fridge before using it? I have been haling my dough - as we don't eat much bread and the longest I kept it in the fridge before cooking was 2 days and that was fine.  I know people keep sourdough for up to 5 days in the fridge - does that work for baisc yeast recipes too?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: So breadmakers...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:06:55 am »
Zebraa I store my bread in the freezer as we aren't great bread eaters either, or I'm not DH is. When it is cool I slice it using and electric knife and store it in plastic bags in the freezer with 2 slices in each bag. Then DH can take a pack for his breakfast/lunch and I can grab one for my lunch. As the supply gets low in the freezer I just make some more.
Rolls I put into a bag in the freezer and tie it up.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 09:08:37 am »
Same here.  Have no wastages that way, fresh bread always on hand. One only needs so many breadcrumbs  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 10:54:23 am »
We tend to freeze a fair bit of bread too.  I tend to freeze what we haven't used at the end of the second day and then thaw it to use it for toast or breadcrumbs when needed.  When bread is made without preservatives it tends to go stale and mouldy a lot quicker, so freezing is probably the best option.  :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 02:31:30 pm »
Some recipes stay fresh for longer.   These tend to be the ones with a softer dough.   Storing in plastic tends to make them go moldy quicker.  A paper bag is probably best for 1 or 2 days.  As has been suggested,  freezing is probably the solution,  but also consider the form of the bread,  that is rolls, loaf or bread stick.  I find bread sticks most useful.  If you cut a loaf before it is cold you tend to lose some of the moisture that keeps it 'fresh'.  Hope this helps. ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 03:00:59 pm »
But Chookie, that first piece of crust with butter and vegemite is to die for  ;D ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 03:03:58 pm »
I'm with JD on that!

Thanks for the info. My DH is a picky bugger and doesn't like frozen bread. He might have to suffer.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 03:48:53 pm »
He might have to suffer.

Yes, does one religious book even say: let he who complaineth do better himself

(fyi: I just made that up  :o)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline patsycate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 03:52:19 pm »
Hi Zebraa, I'm another vote for slicing and freezing.  We eat most of our bread as toast for breakfast and I don't notice any difference when frozen beforehand.

Otherwise, how about an old-fashioned timber bread bin that sits on your bench?  They always used to be in our grandparents' kitchens so they must have worked okay I guess?  There's heaps of fashionable ones around in homewares stores designed to sit nicely on your bench.

Let us know how you get on...
Patsy in Brisbane

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 06:06:35 pm »
But Chookie, that first piece of crust with butter and vegemite is to die for  ;D ;D
We call that first piece of bread "the heel" in our house.My DH loves bread and eats it with most meals.I keep my bread in a old enamel bread bin.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline containergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 11:59:57 pm »
I make a moist bread and keep it in a tea towel on the bench.  It seems to keep okay for about 3 days  in a tropical temperature.

Recently I had to use a plastic container - but as a stand surrounded by a sea of powder to keep the ants from infesting the bread.  They were moving in so quickly.  I could bring rolls out of the oven for school lunch in the morning and by the time I'd done the school drop off the ants would have been residing in the rolls.
Senior Princess
Pimlico Palace

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 06:24:35 am »
I don't like ants, they get in everywhere.

I take our lunchtime bread out of the freezer at breakfast or whenever I have the freezer open.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 08:15:36 am »
like patsycate said there are alot of bread storing containers around..i know tupperware also make them for both storing all sorts of bread in a long dome type shape with a sort of roller door and also a special rectangular one for what the french call pain mie which is like an english loaf of bread ie standard loaf of bread for most of you and they work really well and im sure there are several sorts around in homewear shops etc..maybe check that out..however against ants or high humidity i have no idea how that would work out...maybe ask people who live around you and who make their own bread what they do??  good luck  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 08:22:11 am »
This thread may give some ideas too http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=1930.0
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.