Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 507259 times)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #1050 on: July 21, 2013, 11:58:42 am »
Yesterday I finished reading Hannah Kent's "Burial Rites".  It is completely brilliant. A beautifully researched and told story of the circumstances and characters around the last ever executions in Iceland in 1830.  What is really amazing is that it is written by a young woman from the Adelaide Hills.  I loved it and can't recommend it highly enough.

I dont normally post on this thread since I usually only read work-related non-fiction or cookbooks  ;), but after watching the "Australian Story" episode about the first-time author, I read "Burial Rites" too.   I completely agree with Amanda - a fabulous book, beautifully written, and I too cant recommend it highly enough.  As Molly Meldrum would say (apologies to non-Aussies) ....... do yourself a favour   :D :D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:00:59 pm by KarenH »
Karen in Adelaide

mcmich

« Reply #1051 on: July 22, 2013, 12:36:44 am »
Thought I would borrow Burial Rights after the recommendations on here.
There are 7 copies throughout Lake Macquarie Libraries 5 have 60 reserves against them - 1 has 58 and 1 has 59 so it might be a while before I get to read it.  :o

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: July 22, 2013, 01:09:30 am »
I am reading Burial Rites now. Only $14.76  on Kindle from Amazon.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #1053 on: July 22, 2013, 01:11:58 am »
Thought I would borrow Burial Rights after the recommendations on here.
There are 7 copies throughout Lake Macquarie Libraries 5 have 60 reserves against them - 1 has 58 and 1 has 59 so it might be a while before I get to read it.  :o

As a supporter of Australian women writers, I'd urge you all to lash out and buy a copy!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: July 22, 2013, 01:42:12 am »
I agree if only on Kindle.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #1055 on: July 22, 2013, 03:10:52 am »
I'm hearing great things about another Aus woman writer's book "The Burial" - anyone read it?
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: July 22, 2013, 03:16:09 am »
Haven't read it but the story dosen't  interest me much.

Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: July 22, 2013, 07:47:33 am »
DD was sent Burial Rites to review. I must dig it out and read it.
At the moment I am reading a trashy romance she was sent. I'm enjoying it though. She told me it may be a little risqué for me! :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: July 22, 2013, 07:50:47 am »
DD was sent Burial Rites to review. I must dig it out and read it.
At the moment I am reading a trashy romance she was sent. I'm enjoying it though. She told me it may be a little risqué for me! :D

That is funny cookie. I am loving Burial Rites.

Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: July 22, 2013, 08:37:31 am »
I thought so too Gert. I know how she feels as I used to think the same about books I lent Mum. I wondered if she was old enough to read them.
I remember being allowed to read Lady Chatterly's Lover after it came off the banned list. I thought I was just king pin. Then I started to read it, what rubbish, I didn't bother to finish it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

mcmich

« Reply #1060 on: July 22, 2013, 09:29:20 am »
I thought so too Gert. I know how she feels as I used to think the same about books I lent Mum. I wondered if she was old enough to read them.
I remember being allowed to read Lady Chatterly's Lover after it came off the banned list. I thought I was just king pin. Then I started to read it, what rubbish, I didn't bother to finish it.

I love Lady Chatterly's Lover - you should finish it Cookie. Maybe I could relate to it because she was grieving a loss and I lost my DH and could relate to her emptiness.
Won't be buying Burial Rights - goes against my no buy any more books policy that I've adopted. Haven't bought a new book for at 2 years.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: July 22, 2013, 10:04:03 am »

I love Lady Chatterly's Lover - you should finish it Cookie. Maybe I could relate to it because she was grieving a loss and I lost my DH and could relate to her emptiness.
Won't be buying Burial Rights - goes against my no buy any more books policy that I've adopted. Haven't bought a new book for at 2 years.

Not even a cookbook?

Gert

mcmich

« Reply #1062 on: July 22, 2013, 10:18:53 am »
 ;D Well Gert, I have bought several cookbooks - passed them on, here on the forum and other venues.
Haven't bought one novel or biography new - I don't have any sort of electronic reader. Have bought at garage sales and op-shops and donate them back. Just me and suits the life I want to live and how I want to see myself in years to come.
Just me though!!  :D

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: July 22, 2013, 10:24:02 am »
At least you get to pass the books around. I was glad to donate most of mine before they got mouldy and smelly. If they live in constant a/ C I might have been tempted to keep more books as I had a special built bookcase made not so long ago but I was glad to get my Kindle and the books all went to good homes  before they got do smelly to read!

Gert

mcmich

« Reply #1064 on: July 22, 2013, 10:35:28 am »
We all find our happy medium - ereader - second hand - As long as we are living a life that is authentic for us .  :D