Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 507457 times)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #900 on: April 10, 2013, 12:22:38 am »
Have also recently finished The Housemaids Daughter and The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.both really good books.have often thought of joining a bookclub but I like to be able to choose the subject matter to a certain degree. I detest anything to do with war and having to know the backgrounds of wars. I'm also not into chick lit but more than likely book clubs wouldn't be either. Then, if I joined a bookclub and had to read their book maybe I wouldn't have time to read my own novels. What's others experience of bookclubs? Maybe I'll just join one to be sociable

I've been in book clubs for about 17 years now and one of the biggest problems is getting people to stick to talking about the actual book, rather than having a general catch-up.  This can be hugely annoying - if I want a gossip, I'll meet for a coffee. 
I sometimes liked the opportunity to read something I might not necessarily have picked up, but also became frustrated at times because they got in the way of other things I wanted to read. I've only got so many hours in a day after all. 
When we could get people to actually focus the discussion on the book I really enjoyed hearing others opinions on a book.  It can be very refreshing to see something through another's eyes.
I think it would be worth joining one for a while just to try it out CP - you don't have to sign up for life!  :D
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 10, 2013, 12:59:29 am »
Still reading The Book Thief, finding it a bit hard going but want to see how it ends so will keep at it. Dipped into The Mystery at Mercy Close by Marian Keyes yesterday while babysitting at a friends, will read that next.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: April 10, 2013, 01:55:17 am »
I have had experience of 3 book clubs CP. The first was in the bush. We had 11 members and each person selected and bought the book for their month. (We didn't meet in Dec). We met at the purchasers house, paid them for the book and discussed it. Then had 'high tea' for supper. I loved it.

My second experience was when we returned to the city. I joined one and hated it. They read crap books and did nothing but discuss their lives. I didn't last long there.

My third time is with the local library group. My main problem is that they select the books and they must be ones they can get 10 or so copies of. This narrows it down. Some of the books we read are quite old. I have read some good books with this group that I would not have tried for myself. I've also partly read some lousy ones. If you don't like the book and don't finish it the others accept this, provided you have a reason. The discussion is often quite robust but there are no arguments. We stay on task pretty well. (There are several teachers in the group!)

If you want to try a bookcase club do as Amanda suggested. Try a few for size. We meet once a month, so it's not too bad, although I have been known to leave the book to the last day or two.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: April 10, 2013, 03:00:53 am »
I agree with Amanda. You have to find a book club that suits your time frame and social life.. I have been in book clubs that discuss nothing but kids , or their husbands or just crap. To me it is all about enhancing  your enjoyment of the book!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Dublin Girl in Oz

• View Profile
Re: Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #904 on: April 13, 2013, 01:36:12 pm »
Kindle
Sylvia - Melbourne

Offline Dublin Girl in Oz

• View Profile
Re: Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #905 on: April 13, 2013, 01:38:46 pm »
Sorry hadn't meant to post last post!  We are reading Penelope Lively's How it All Began - enjoyable read.
Sylvia - Melbourne

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: April 13, 2013, 02:03:19 pm »
I read that recently DGinOz, enjoyed it.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #907 on: April 14, 2013, 12:43:39 pm »
Need to buy a book tomorrow as going on a boring work trip with male colleague so will want to escape with a book, will have a quick look on this-post for some inspiration. Has anyone read Jodi Piccoults latest??

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: April 14, 2013, 12:55:54 pm »
The Storyteller? That one is high on my list. It has some good reviews
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: April 14, 2013, 01:05:43 pm »
I have finished  the 5 Melrose novels by  Edward St Aubyn. I was going to pace them but was compelled to read them all at once. Once I take a breath I am on to  The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion recommended by a friend who said she was laughing out loud  and even though It was expensive  I had to have it.. Bonus is that this is an Australia author.

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #910 on: April 14, 2013, 01:10:05 pm »
Highly recommend The barbarian nurseries by Hector Tobar. Check it out!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: April 14, 2013, 01:16:30 pm »
GHM DD said the latest Jodie Picoult is one of her best. Gert she said The Rosie Project was also excellent.

I'm reading Lisa Gardner's latest, Touch and Go. So far it's ok.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

mcmich

« Reply #912 on: April 14, 2013, 05:17:56 pm »
Will be interested to hear what you think. I'm not a fan of Jodie Piccoult.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:35:55 pm by mcmich »

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #913 on: April 14, 2013, 08:59:15 pm »
Need to buy a book tomorrow as going on a boring work trip with male colleague so will want to escape with a book, will have a quick look on this-post for some inspiration. Has anyone read Jodi Piccoults latest??
My kindle needed re-charging over the weekend so I reverted to my bookshelf and picked up Isabel Allende's "Stories of Eva Luna" - such a long time since I read any of her books and I had forgotten what a wonderful book this one is and, because it is short stories, it is (not always very) easy to put down after short periods of time reading it.

I think I will have to see if I can buy a couple more of her books on Kindle.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline SuzieG

• View Profile
« Reply #914 on: April 14, 2013, 09:22:36 pm »
The Storyteller? That one is high on my list. It has some good reviews

I'm about 40% through, quite enjoying it so far, but I quite like Jodi Picoult books.