Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 507354 times)

Offline deedub

• View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #525 on: December 07, 2012, 08:17:42 am »
I read the lovely bones years ago, still have a copy. Very disturbing but well written.
Love cloudstreet, but then I'm a fan of Tim winton. Some real classics in that Aussie book club list - if you haven't read harp in the south, do yourself a favour! Love all her books.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #526 on: December 07, 2012, 09:21:44 am »
It was an interesting list, but there were some glaring omissions.
No Patrick White (he did win a Nobel prize for literature), no Helen Garner or lots of others.

I'm reading "Dearie" a biography about Julia Childs, by Bob Spitz.  Bob is clearly besotted with Julia and is keen to use as many words & sentences as he can, so it's quite verbose and a little repetitive, but I'm mostly enjoying it.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 07, 2012, 09:33:36 am »
Patrick white & Helen garner made the top 20 at least...
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 07, 2012, 09:39:54 am »
Cookie, I have read the Lovely Bones and have also seen the movie. As deedub said, it is disturbing and very sad. I cried a lot when I read it, but I think I was only 14 at the time. Alice Sebold is very good ar writing about the subject because she survived an attempted rape when she was younger.

Offline dhitri

• View Profile
    • Thermie Love
« Reply #529 on: December 07, 2012, 09:43:13 am »
I could not finish Lovely Bones and also Room by Emma Donoghue. Too sad. My biggest fear is for my child to go through anything like that. Did anyone watch Daniel Morcombs's funeral today? I cried a pool :(( sorry off topic.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #530 on: December 07, 2012, 10:19:31 am »
Room was a Book Club book of ours too. It had a Hollywood ending that was totally unbelievable which spoiled it entirely for me.

No way would I ever watch Daniel Morcombe's funeral. Just can't imagine how sad it would be.

I'm reading "Dearie" a biography about Julia Childs, by Bob Spitz.  Bob is clearly besotted with Julia and is keen to use as many words & sentences as he can, so it's quite verbose and a little repetitive, but I'm mostly enjoying it.
I read a book of letters from Julia Child to her penpal. It was really interesting. "As always, Julia".
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 07, 2012, 10:47:12 am »
I enjoyed The Room but found it very disturbing.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: December 07, 2012, 12:21:13 pm »
I have just finished The Slap. I'm a bit ambivalent, as it was really hard to warm to some of the characters- I felt like shaking some of them myself >:(
I will pick up Tea in the Library again. Mind you, I feel like shaking the author of this book too. She is getting up my nose, but I hate not finishing something I've started.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 07, 2012, 01:07:16 pm »
I have to say I am not a Tim Winton fan. I read "that Eye the Sky" years ago and didn't like it.  I did like "The Bugalugs Bum Thief". I have read "My Brilliant Career" which was in the top 20.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 07, 2012, 02:30:12 pm »
I've read Lovely Bones, didnt make much of an impression. Enjoyed Room but the ending was spoilt as it was just like the author got sick of writing and wanted to wrap it up quickly.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 07, 2012, 07:02:39 pm »
Amish Grace can be a little heavy going. I love it because it goes into the nuts and bolts of Amish philosophy.

It questions why they can forgive a stranger for murdering their girls but shun a widow for marrying the English.

It looks at the difference between forgiveness and pardon.

I loved reading it and am going back now and re-reading.

I was disappointed with this one and gave up on this one quarter of the way through.  At the start I was dubious about the writing style - I felt there were just too many words, but I kept on as I really wanted to read the book but, finally, I just couldn't go any further.  I may go back to it again as the Amish life style and creed is quite different and, therefore, interesting, but I don't know if I will ever be able to finish it.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 07, 2012, 07:36:53 pm »
I really enjoyed both Room and Lovely Bones.  I read lovely bones on my first overseas trip for work  and at the time my DD was the same age as the character in the book. I cried so much in the first few pages which was probably more about knowing I wouldn't see the kids for three weeks that ever time I read a few pages I would start crying again, eventually on the flight home I told the gentleman beside me that I really wanted to finish the book so to just leave me be when I started to cry. He was a top executive from the Coles Myer group and was great, gave me lots of tips to combat homesickness (including never to read books that would remind me of home)and how to make the most of work travel, got me a drink and tissues when I was really blubbering and then left me alone to cry. Looking back now I must have seemed like such an idiot, but the book will always stick in my mind. The movie was a real disappointment.

mcmich

« Reply #537 on: December 07, 2012, 08:55:24 pm »
Amish Grace can be a little heavy going. I love it because it goes into the nuts and bolts of Amish philosophy.

It questions why they can forgive a stranger for murdering their girls but shun a widow for marrying the English.

It looks at the difference between forgiveness and pardon.

I loved reading it and am going back now and re-reading.

I was disappointed with this one and gave up on this one quarter of the way through.  At the start I was dubious about the writing style - I felt there were just too many words, but I kept on as I really wanted to read the book but, finally, I just couldn't go any further.  I may go back to it again as the Amish life style and creed is quite different and, therefore, interesting, but I don't know if I will ever be able to finish it.

Marina, go to the end of the book where they interview the mother of Charles Roberts (the killer) only a few pages and very interesting.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 07, 2012, 09:42:53 pm »
Practical Jean by Trevor Cole. This book was  gifted to me and since I read it I have gifted it to several others with a kindle. I loved it and am not telling you what  is was about.

You either  love or hate Tim Winton I guess. I like his writing but don't love it . Patrick White was a self indulgent writer and hard going but worth the effort  if you have  the mindset.

I recently read Gone Girl by Gillian  Flynn and loved it. All of Joanna Trollope books are a good read too.

So many books so,little time

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #539 on: December 08, 2012, 05:45:05 am »
I have just finished The Slap. I'm a bit ambivalent, as it was really hard to warm to some of the characters- I felt like shaking some of them myself >:(
I will pick up Tea in the Library again. Mind you, I feel like shaking the author of this book too. She is getting up my nose, but I hate not finishing something I've started.

I hated all of the characters in The Slap - not one of them was lovable, but I still think the book was very good.  I guess that's the mark of a good writer - he can make you want to keep reading despite the unpleasant characters.

I have Gone Girl on my wishlist - it's had some great reviews.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com