Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 510002 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #510 on: December 02, 2012, 09:12:58 am »
Thanks for that. I will try on a couple of libraries not near home. Will see what they have available first.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 06, 2012, 03:31:02 am »
Just looking on here to find some good reading to download onto my kindle. Just downloaded 'the help' - thanks for that, only saw the movie on a plane so looking forward to reading the book. I enjoyed the Slap, although found most of the characters completely unloveable. The book was set in the area I live so was quite exciting reading about places & shops etc. that I go to regularly. DD's friend's house was used in the TV series - the kid who got slapped lived there!
Does anyone have any tips about browsing for good e-books on Amazon? I'm new to the kindle and get a bit frustrated trying to find something I might like to read. Doesn't matter which category I choose, the same books seem to keep popping up!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 06, 2012, 10:43:05 am »
Last night the ABC showed their First Tuesday program with the list of the 10 Aussie books to read before you die. The list is on their website:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/firsttuesday/
I really need to read Cloudstreet!

Has anyone read the book Í want my hat back' by Jon Klassen? It's an interesting picture book  which has won a lot of awards. It's a picture book which has points of interest for all ages. My two year old likes it as much as me (but for different reasons!)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #513 on: December 06, 2012, 12:07:25 pm »
Haven't seen that one.
I've read four of the top ten. Must say I absolutely loathed The Slap. Full of gratuitous sex scenes and not a lot else. Surprised it made it into the upper echelon of great Aussie Books.
I thought Jasper Jones was excellent, but his next book was a major disappointment.

At the moment I'm reading a disturbing book. I met the author at her book launch in Katanning. She has written her story. Abused by her father and brother, she's come out the other end with a degree in Creative Writing and a national teaching award. She launched her book in Katanning because of the history of abuse at the Hostel there back in the 70's.
very unusual lady...

Not a book you enjoy, but one that gets you involved. "When We Remember, They Call Us Liars" by Suzanne Covich, now living in Fremantle.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 06, 2012, 12:13:58 pm »
Always takes me by surprise to see a list or a shelf in a bookshop, and I go "I've read that, and that, and that..."
and then you talk to some people who say "I hate reading...I can't remember the last book I read ..."
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 06, 2012, 12:29:51 pm »
http://www.ereaderiq.com/

Do not forget this web site for your freebies.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 06, 2012, 12:43:23 pm »
Must agree CP. I'm reading an interesting book at the moment. It's a non fiction called Bandaid for a Broken Leg by Damien Brown. He is a doctor and goes to work for Medicin s?. Frontier and it is that story.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 06, 2012, 01:01:19 pm »
Must agree CP. I'm reading an interesting book at the moment. It's a non fiction called Bandaid for a Broken Leg by Damien Brown. He is a doctor and goes to work for Medicin s?. Frontier and it is that story.

Sounds interesting .  Might download that as I was recently  given a very generous Amazon Gift Certificate. He is Australian.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 06, 2012, 06:58:48 pm »
Does anyone have any tips about browsing for good e-books on Amazon? I'm new to the kindle and get a bit frustrated trying to find something I might like to read. Doesn't matter which category I choose, the same books seem to keep popping up!
Debbie, I am the same.  I've had my kindle for a couple of years now and love it but still haven't really conquered browsing in Amazon.  I now try to remember recommended author's names or names of good / interesting books then search on those ... but I always forget the author or book name and end up getting frustrated (I know ... I should write them down and not rely on my patchy memory, but I never do).

The web site Gert mentioned can sometimes have good things on it for free but some of the books are self-published so editing and proofing can be abysmally bad in some cases, but it is well worth giving it a go, they have a huge selection on that site and I somehow find it easier to search.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 06, 2012, 09:59:12 pm »
Jamberie, thanks for the link to the list. I've read a few from there. Good luck with Cloudstreet I really don't like Tim Winton's writing style and found it quite depressing and boring, i find he has a real 'blokey' style.

deedub, I was the same with The Slap, grew up in the area and haven't moved too far aware it all rang quite for me and took me back to being a teenager living in the area. MJ I'm the same as you - disliked all the characters but enjoyed the book.

Offline dhitri

• View Profile
    • Thermie Love
« Reply #520 on: December 06, 2012, 10:46:30 pm »
I love literary fiction! I am catching up now after a long break from it due to uni. I have just finished reading Tan Twee Eng's Garden of Evening Mists and am now reading Deborah Levy's Swimming Home. Book lovers may recognize that these two books were shortlisted for 2012 Booker Prize. I've read the winning book, Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel, a while ago and I loved it and thought the prize was well-deserved.

Now catching up with the shortlists to find out if they were strong contenders to Ms Mantel's second stroke of genius (this is her second Booker, she won her first just a few years back!).

I am part of an "Aussie Group" and we have monthly and season themed challenges and of course we have a reading challenge for the holidays. I will embark on a reading frenzy... Need ro divide my time evenly between my three loves now: reading, running and my Thermie!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 07, 2012, 05:13:22 am »
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't like The Slap. Our book for book club this month is The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Has anyone read it?

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 07, 2012, 05:19:47 am »
Yes- I loved that book. I think there is also a film.
I'm still partway though The Slap, and still undecided about it.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #523 on: December 07, 2012, 05:26:09 am »
Yes, we read The Lovely Bones. I can't remember what it was about, though!

Our Book club has read many of the popular titles that I see in Book shops. I, too am amazed when people say they don't read, CP!

Thanks for the Overdrive tip, I'm downloading it now, also Amish Grace.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

mcmich

« Reply #524 on: December 07, 2012, 05:45:17 am »
Amish Grace can be a little heavy going. I love it because it goes into the nuts and bolts of Amish philosophy.

It questions why they can forgive a stranger for murdering their girls but shun a widow for marrying the English.

It looks at the difference between forgiveness and pardon.

I loved reading it and am going back now and re-reading.