Author Topic: Mayonnaise Storage Question  (Read 7776 times)

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
Mayonnaise Storage Question
« on: January 12, 2012, 05:22:50 am »
Hi all,

Last night I made the EDC Mayonniase for the first time and I am pleased to report it was a great success.  However I had far more than what I needed and I was wondering how people store it and how long it usually lasts.

Does anyone care to share what they usually do?

Thanks  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mayonnaise Storage Question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 05:44:37 am »
I put mine in a jar in the fridge and try to use it within 2-3 weeks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 08:06:58 am »
Does it really last that long, Cookie?  I've never really known and have been dumping mine within 5 days of making it.  I am absolutely delighted that it's shelf (fridge) life is that long.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 08:08:59 am »
it will depend on how fresh your eggs are. It should last at least 2 weeks. I get about 4 weeks from mine but I have my own chooks and make my mayo from eggs I collected that day so I know that I have that bit longer if I need it. Not a problem in the summer as we use heaps, just not as much in the winter, though the kids do like it over their steamed veg  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 08:12:54 am »
I normally only keep mine for a week to 10 days, but that's shop bought eggs! I put a label on the jar with the date that it's made. We definately use a lot more in summer with lots of salads so it's normally used within that time with my lot.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 10:07:46 am »
I made this egg free mayo.  http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=287.0 and also had way too much. 

I didn't want to waste the left overs so I've tried freezing it in ice cubes and will see how it defrosts!  I'm hoping because it is eggless it might freeze/ defrost ok - don't know if anyone else has had any luck with this?

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 08:24:51 pm »
Thanks all...glad to know I should be able to keep it for at least a couple of weeks. 

It was so yummy though that I think it will be gone before then!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 09:32:48 pm »
Asha,  like Cookie I keep mine for 2/3 weeks,  but I have found you can add it to lots of dishes and it therefore doesn't last this long. I make an avo dip with a blob of mayo,  my 2 second salad (posted) is made in the bowl after you make the Mayo,  or you can just add a blob with the veggies.  I thin it with some Balsamic vin.  as a salad dressing. I add fresh grated horse radish to serve with roast beef. 

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 05:00:00 pm »
I can keep mine for several weeks in a Lock & Lock box and it is fine.  Our fridge is kept very cold though.

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 04:33:41 pm »
I also keep mine in the fridge for up to a month, again I use very fresh egg and don't ever leave the jar out of the fridge - just take what I need and put back. With 1 egg and 250gm of oil it makes one jar so doesn't take more than 3 demos and it is finished! Sometimes I make it at the host before the demo and then leave the remainder with the host as a gift.

Offline stef

• my favorite monkey in antwerp zoo
    • View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 07:11:58 pm »
You should be fine for 3 weeks if you seal the jar so no 'contamination' can come from the fridge. 
By the way Most of the salmonella is found in the fridge. Egg shells are poreous and therefor absorb most of the salmonella when kept in the fridge. Store eggs in a cool place outside the fridge. Thry will keep for a month without any problems. I learned this from a farmer.

For the mayo it is enough to seal the container well so there is no contamination possible and it will last for a good time. Although i find the taste is best in the first two weeks.
Live life to the fullest