Author Topic: Oat and Fruit Slice  (Read 11914 times)

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
Oat and Fruit Slice
« on: January 28, 2012, 11:06:24 pm »
This recipe was adapted from the Meadow Lea site. http://www.meadowlea.com/recipe-details/oat-and-fruit-slice.html

Name of Recipe: Oat and Fruit Slice

Number of People: 15 pieces

Ingredients:

125g butter
½ cup brown sugar (firmly packed) (100g)
¼ cup golden syrup (70g)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
½ cup self raising flour (70g)
½ cup plain flour (70g)
1 cup rolled oats (not instant) (120g)
½ cup desiccated coconut (30g)
1/3 cup dried apricots (75g)
½ cup milk choc bits (100g)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 170ºC. Grease a 28cm x 18cm x 3cm slice pan and line base with non-stick baking paper.

Place dried apricots into  *: and turbo a couple times until chopped. Remove from  *: and rinse  *:.

Place butter, sugar, golden syrup and vanilla into  *: and beat speed 4 until combined (20 seconds). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well speed 4 for 5 seconds between each addition.

Add flours to creamed mixture along with remaining ingredients and stir  :-: 3 speed 3 for 20 seconds to combine.

Pour into prepared pan and level with the back of a spoon. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Cool in pan 5 minutes, then run a butter knife around the inside edges of the pan to loosen the sides. Turn slice out onto a wire rack to cool, then upturn onto a cutting board and slice into 15 pieces.

Photos:

Don't know how to attach sorry

Tips/Hints:

Any type of dried fruit would work. Next time I might add some dried apple and paw paw.

members' cmments

Obbie -  I doubled the recipe. Verdict:  Yum, so good, will be making this again for sure.

cookie - It's lovely. Quite healthy too. I always have to adjust cooking times for my oven.

CarolineW - My family has one word for you - yum! It's a huge hit with all.  Thanks so much for sharing.  he only tweak I did was to used 2 thirds coconut and 1 third flaked almonds.

JD - ours turned out very dry and crumbly - tasted fine but I don't know what the problem was.  I put out all the ingredients for him(GS) and nothing was left out, he pushed all the right buttons and did things correctly. Temp & time adhered to as well. 

Thermo18 - DG made this today, and used dried craisins instead apricots only because that's what I had in cupboard, also like Caroline W I added some flaked almonds, yum  yum.

mcmich - Smells wonderful, can't wait to try it. DH is taking it for work.

MamaMix - I really enjoyed this, thanks!! After leaving it in the pan for 5 minutes and taking it out it was sooo crumbly I was sure I'd failed. But it hardened up nicely as it cooled down and it's delicious the day after. Really nice recipe, will be making it again.

Tam - Thanks for this slice....... after reading some comments about it being a bit crumbly I reduced the coconut and the result is fantastic.  Still a cake like slice but my girls love it.  I swapped apricots for dates and  threw in some sunflower seeds.  My MIL is going to love them too!!!!  I also used rapadura so I'm figuring they're kinda healthy!!!

KathD11 -  it was soooo delicious I am sending the leftovers with DH to work tomorrow, I ate way too much today. I put 30 g slivered almonds in instead of the coconut and didn't have choc bits so added choc melts in with the apricot and pulsed it a few times.

MelT30 - Big Thumbs up! I used Craisins instead and it tastes delicious. Here's hoping the kids feel the same when they get home from school!! Another lunch box item! Thank You!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:46:24 pm by judydawn »
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Oat and Fruit Slice
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:18:30 pm »
Thanks DG, was looking for something to give 3.5 yr old GS his first cooking lesson next week - this will be the one.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 11:20:52 pm »
Thanks JD that means alot to me. Haven't converted many recipes and I was looking for a slice to cut up for DS to take to school. Thought I would give it a go.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:42:40 pm »
 :) Thanks dizzy girl, about to make this.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 05:52:03 am »
I am going to make this today.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 11:07:48 pm »
I hope it worked Ok cookie. I did find I have to leave mine in oven for abit longer, but thats my oven playing up as usual.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 12:10:04 am »
 :) Dizzy Girl,
well I made this yesterday, and decided to double the recipe.

Verdict:  Yum, so good, will be making this again for sure.
I am eating this now with coffee. ;D

Thanks, Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:40:13 am »
Oh Obbie I am so glad you like it. DS has taken some to school today.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 05:54:39 am »
It's lovely. Quite healthy too. I always have to adjust cooking times for my oven. :-\
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 09:25:06 pm »
I made this today and DG My family has one word for you - yum!

It's a huge hit with all.  Thanks so much for sharing.

The only tweak I did was to used 2 thirds coconut and 1 third flaked almonds.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 10:20:17 pm »
Caroline, thank you so much for your feedback. I am so glad you all loved it as much as we do.
I love your idea of flaked almonds. I have some in the cupboard so will try that this weekend.

DG  :-*

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 11:54:29 pm »
DG I got GS to put this one together but ours turned out very dry and crumbly - tasted fine but I don't know what the problem was.  I put out all the ingredients for him and nothing was left out, he pushed all the right buttons and did things correctly. Temp & time adhered to as well. 

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 11:57:25 pm »
Not quite sure why yours was dry and crumbly JD. Sorry  :-[

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 12:01:10 am »
Not a problem, he didn't ask for a piece but I was going to send it home for his big sister's lunch boxes and couldn't.  It gave him his first shot at pushing buttons and adding ingredients so that was all that mattered on this occasion.

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 05:03:15 am »
DG made this today, and used dried craisins instead apricots only because that's what I had in cupboard, also like Caroline W I added some flaked almonds, yum  yum  :D