Author Topic: Macadamia and white chocolate cookies - Recipe converted!  (Read 12137 times)

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
Macadamia and white chocolate cookies - Recipe converted!
« on: February 22, 2010, 12:45:24 am »
Hi,

I'm new to this forum as I've only owned my TMX since last Friday. Already made about 30 things in it and the wife and kids really love it.

Was browsing the sites and found this recipe. Note it's from this site: http://www.joysthermomixexperiences.clancie.com.au/ and credit is given to the original recipe being from 'As American as Apple Pie' (1990) p.163'

I'm not the best baker in the world, and combined with my newness to the TMX I don't want to risk stuffing this up doing a conversion. Can anyone please help? My wife *loooves* these cookies and as she's a bit down at the moment was hoping to brighten her day when she gets home from work :). conversion below

Macadamia and white chocolate cookies
Ingredients: - makes about 40 cookies
1½  cups rolled oats
½ cup unsalted butter softened
½ cup sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup white chocolate melts
2 ounces white chocolate chopped
½ cup chopped macadamias

Method:
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Place 1¼ cups rolled oats in container of food processor and process 1 minute.
Beat the butter with both sugars in large bowl of an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
Combine the processed oats with the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Slowly add to the butter mixture. Stir in the remaining ¼ cup rolled oats, both chocolates and the macadamias.
Drop the cookie batter by tablespoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Edit: Changed to Converted as don't need help anymore with this one! Here's tonydav's conversion.

Well, decided to give it a go! Creampuff63's recipe was a very helpful guide.

I'm not quite sure how they should look and taste as I've never cooked these before, but these ended up much the same as the cookies from Subway. I think if the wife and kids were home they wouldn't have even had a chance to cool.

In case anyone is interested, this is my converted recipe. Not quite the same as the original as I only had one type of white chocolate.

Ingredients
150 grams rolled oats
120 grams unsalted butter softened
100 grams sugar
100 grams light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
150 grams sifted all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
220 grams white chocolate chopped
65 grams macadamias

Procedure
1. Preheat oven to 180°C fan forced

2. Process rolled oats 10 seconds Speed 6, remove.

3. Process macadamias and chocolate 5 seconds Speed 5 depending on how course you want your nuts. Add to oats.

4. Insert butterfly. Beat the butter with both sugars, egg and vanilla 20 seconds, Speed 4. Remove butterfly.

5. Return oats, nuts and chocolate to TMX. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

6. Turn TMX to closed lid position for 30 seconds on Interval  corn speed. Then 10 seconds on Reverse  counterclock at Speed 4.

7. Drop the cookie batter by dessertspoonfuls on ungreased baking paper. Bake 10 minutes or until golden. Note they will still be very soft when removed. Allow to cool for about 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

8. Do not crowd the cookies as they spread - a lot! I made 22 in this batch and they ended up 10-12cm across!

9. If you like a chewy biscuit remove when light golden brown (similar to the subway biscuits). If you want a hard biscuit wait until they're more of a brown colour. Either way they'll still be soft when removed so that is no guide.

Edit: I've attached a picture of the results below. First time attach so hopefully fine. Also added comments about colour.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:08:40 am by judydawn »

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Re: Macadamia and white chocolate cookies - Recipe conversion help
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 01:09:32 am »
Hi Tonydav, welcome to the forum.  Glad you're loving your machine.

Whenever I convert recipes, I always look at a similar recipe that has already been converted.  It really helps.   I've found with biscuits and cookies you really can't go wrong.  You might end up with less or more "chunky" cookies the first time, but that's okay.  Just a matter of perfecting the timing.

I'd start by preparing your ingredients.  If you've made this before, you should know what the recipe should "feel" like.

Chop the oats and set aside, and chop your chocolate and macadamias and set aside until needed.  Less is more when chopping ingredients as you can't go backwards.

Then, I think the Choc Chip Cookies recipe in the EDC would be a good guide for creaming the butter, sugar vanilla, adding the eggs and flours, then final ingredients.

Hope this helps.  I'm sure your wife will be thrilled with your efforts and the thought that you went to.  I know I would be!
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 01:10:54 am »
Tony check out CreamPuff63's Pistachio White Chocolate Biscuits in this same section as it is very similar and will give you some idea to follow.  Just add the processed rolled oats into the bowl along with the flour - the TMX will process it in much less time than 1 minute though. Just check it after a few seconds to see how it looks.

Someone may do a complete conversion for you but you may be able to do it yourself if you compare recipes.  Good luck.  A lovely surprise for your DW.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 04:10:57 am »
Well, decided to give it a go! Creampuff63's recipe was a very helpful guide.

I'm not quite sure how they should look and taste as I've never cooked these before, but these ended up much the same as the cookies from Subway. I think if the wife and kids were home they wouldn't have even had a chance to cool.

In case anyone is interested, this is my converted recipe. Not quite the same as the original as I only had one type of white chocolate.

Ingredients
150 grams rolled oats
120 grams unsalted butter softened
100 grams sugar
100 grams light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
150 grams sifted all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
220 grams white chocolate chopped
65 grams macadamias

Procedure
1. Preheat oven to 180°C fan forced

2. Process rolled oats 10 seconds Speed 6, remove.

3. Process macadamias and chocolate 5 seconds Speed 5 depending on how course you want your nuts. Add to oats.

4. Insert butterfly. Beat the butter with both sugars, egg and vanilla 20 seconds, Speed 4. Remove butterfly.

5. Return oats, nuts and chocolate to TMX. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

6. Turn TMX to closed lid position for 30 seconds on Interval  :: speed. Then 10 seconds on Reverse  :-: at Speed 4.

7. Drop the cookie batter by desertspoonfulls on ungreased baking paper. Bake 10 minutes or until golden. Note they will still be very soft when removed. Allow to cool for about 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

8. Do not crowd the cookies as they spread - a lot! I made 22 in this batch and they ended up 10-12cm across!

9. If you like a chewy biscuit remove when light golden brown (similar to the subway biscuits). If you want a hard biscuit wait until they're more of a brown colour. Either way they'll still be soft when removed so that is no guide.

Edit: I've attached a picture of the results. First time attach so hopefully fine :). Also added comments about colour.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:23:11 pm by tonydav »

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 04:17:56 am »
Well done.  Look forward to hearing how excited the wife and kids are when they get home.  What a lovely surprise.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 05:45:26 am »
Well done tonydav - I was hoping you would give it a go. Let us know what the family thought of them when they come in later.  You can give yourself a pat on the back for today's effort.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 05:58:28 am »
You should take some photos while they are still in existence then add them to the recipe  ;D pretty please!!
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 06:17:04 am »
Welcome to the forum Tonydav and congratulations on making the cookies. They sound lovely and I will definitely give them a go.   Lucky wife and children.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 06:25:15 am »
Well picked the kids up from school.  They were most impressed with them (I think mainly the size - they want to take them for show and tell!).  They did ask for seconds so maybe flavour too!

I'll see if I can work out how to upload a photo. Not sure how well it will go but will give it a try.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 06:47:15 am »
Congratulations.  The first conversion can be quite daunting, but success is very inspiring.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 06:54:45 am »
Well done, Tony - there will be no stopping you now!
Can't wait to see the photo's. ;D
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 06:58:15 am »
Congratulations.  The first conversion can be quite daunting, but success is very inspiring.

You're not wrong. These turned out almost exactly how I'd hoped. Maybe a little more chunky with the macadamias next time but probably better for the kids like this.

I don't normally bake but it's so quick and easy in the TMX that I don't mind giving it a go. Made a converted (not by me) Mississippi Mud Cake on the weekend and that was awesome.

The real test will be when my wife tries to cook dinner tomorrow night when I'm at squash. Hoping to find a nice easy recipe for Pumpkin and Cashew risotto for her as that what she wants to make!

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: Macadamia and white chocolate cookies - Recipe converted!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 07:01:40 am »
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=191.0

here is the link to posting pics  ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 01:02:50 pm »
Well done.  Not sure why Joy hasn't put the converted recipe up on her site.

She is a local consultant and visits the forum.

Great work with this recipe - bet the DW (or GLW) is happier now
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 08:20:54 pm »
Yes, much happier.

I've also added some further comments about when they're ready. Most were a really light golden but a couple got darker. The light golden are still slightly soft when you eat them - really awesome.

I really need to get some proper baking trays though. You can only fit 9 of these at a time on my tray and I only had one tray worth using!