Author Topic: My jam and chutney aren't thickening  (Read 7442 times)

Offline Jaffa

• View Profile
My jam and chutney aren't thickening
« on: February 11, 2012, 09:36:52 pm »
Does anyone have any suggestions for the problem of jams and chutneys not thickening. This has happened both with my fig jam and mango chutney. I have used reverse speed soft instead of simply speed 1 to try and maintain the integrity of the fruit pieces  but I wonder if this has slowed the boiling and therefore the evaporation rate.and then the fruit pieces didn't retain their shape anyway!  Also should I keep the MC on for the whole time? Generally with traditional cooking of jams etc the lid would be off the saucepan. The last few times I have made lemon curd it has been a bit runny too but I wonder if that could be because of the size of the eggs?
Many thanks for any help I have had my Thermomix since about September and love it

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: My jam and chutney aren't thickening
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 09:55:21 pm »
I would leave the MC off the whole time. Place the steaming basket on top instead so as the steam will still escape but won't splatter everywhere. This should help with evaporation and therefore your jams and chutneys should be thicker. I tend to add a little flour paste to my relish to make it thicker. Hope that helps.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:01:21 pm »
Hi Jaffa, welcome to the forum with your first posting.  I don't make enough jams and chutneys to offer advice but what I have made has always been thick enough so I don't know what your problem could be.  I just follow the recipe and it works for me.
Why not pop over to Introduce Yourself on the home page so that others can welcome you into our midst.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Jaffa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 02:50:17 am »
Many thanks - I will give those ideas a try

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 03:31:39 am »
Jaffa I don't make a lot of chutney but do some jam. I always leave the MC off and put the basket over as dede says. If the jam doesn't seem to be reducing at all I only put the basket over half the hole in the TMX lid, therefore letting more steam out.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 04:28:35 am »
Jaffa,  I make a lot of Jams,  chutneys and jelly.  No cap on,  reverse is fine but at speed 3, not too much in TMX at a time or it will boil over and needs fast boil at the end on Varoma. I stand by machine for last 10 mins and switch between 100 and varoma as it starts to come out the hole. I leave the basket over to stop splatters.  If the jam has not enough pectin in it I add 1/2 packet of Jamsetta. It is wise to reduce the fluid in the recipe a bit, (Water , Vinegar).  Hope this helps.  Have a look at a couple of recipes that work,  my Lemon and Carrot Marmalade and Tenina's Apricot Preserves come to mind,  but there are many other posted that are good.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:12:14 am by judydawn »