Author Topic: New owner in Brisbane  (Read 4020 times)

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
New owner in Brisbane
« on: January 24, 2010, 08:17:29 pm »
I just got my new thermomix delivered a couple of weeks ago after seeing an amazing demo of how to cook food for Christmas. I had been researching the machine before that on the net as a solution to the difficulties associated with being on a restricted diet, not to mention the lack of energy left for food preparation after a hard day at work!

What I love so much about the thermo is not only how amazing it is as a cooking machine, but also the friendly and very active social network that goes with it, like this forum!

This is really useful as I know that I'm not alone in doing things like:
1. burning the mashed potatos on the bottom of the bowl
2. accidentally pureeing onions instead of chopping them
3. accidentally shredding some of the chicken when I put it on chop for a couple of seconds instead of reverse
4. figuring out how to wash the bowl after burning incidents
5. feeling slightly overwhelmed by the power and the multiple functions of the machine
6. that I am not alone in being obsessively enthusiastic about this machine.

It is also great to know that people are continually coming up with fantastic recipes - which means I won't have to worry about how to convert non thermo recipes. I have tried to convert a couple but definitely haven't got the knack of that yet! I will be going out shortly to buy a ring binder to file the recipes I print out.

I am currently working my way through the EDC. I'm very keen on the icecream and I made some great mashed sweet potato last night (a lot better than my poor attempt at normal mashed potato!) Tomorrow I am going to try a breakfast smoothie based on recipes I saw in the thermomix blog.

I am still practising the art of getting stuff out of the bowl - I'm finding that a bit tricky unless it is completely liquid.

Offline isi

• View Profile
Re: New owner in Brisbane
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 09:17:23 pm »
Welcome!
Wish you much fun with us. Here you can,comment, asked, answered, and so on ;).
You just need to Beware because this area is addictive :D :D :D
Pay attention!
Best regards From Portugal
isi

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 12:33:07 am »
Welcome - it is great to have the forum so you can see you're not alone.

One trick with getting things out.  Sometimes turning it upside down and twiddling the grey knob on the underside for the blades help dislodge things and then also put the lid on and hit turbo a couple of times to remove the food from the blades.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 12:38:08 am »
Welcome moonmobile.
A silicone spatula is sometimes better for getting things out of the TMX but remember not to use it through the lid while the machine is working as you will chop your spatula up!!
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 12:43:21 am »
Welcome moonmobile - we have probably all experienced the problems you have had in our early days.  It almost made me want to stop using the machine but then I found this forum and the enthusiasm from other members for the TMX got me going again and I haven't looked back.  Soon you will be in total control of it and then the sky's the limit.  I never thought I would ever be able to convert a recipe at first either but once you have done a couple (and perhaps messed up along the way) you won't look back. I now look at recipes through the eyes of a TMX owner and my little brain ticks over working out how to convert it. I have a folder full of recipes to convert and will slowly plough my way through them.  If you haven't got a silicone spatula, my advice to you would be to get a few as they are much better for removing food from the bowl along with Thermomixer's ideas. Happy cooking.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 12:55:11 am »
Welcome Moonmobile,  as JD says we all had the same problems when we first started, but with help from this forum,  you will soon have your machine singing and dancing,  like the rest of us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 02:41:42 am »
Welcome Moonmobile from the West side of Australia. You will find this forum a great help. It's lovely to read that you are loving your machine. As mentioned by Isi, this forum and the machine become addictive. TMX should be sold with a health warning:

The use of this machine  is addictive and it will also help you put on weight.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 02:44:16 am »
Welcome.  Great to have you with us.

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 05:54:31 am »
Thank you for these lovely welcoming messages and I am glad to see that others have had the same problems as me at first! I am encouraged to keep going by your comments.

Thank you for the turbo tip and the spatula tip - will go out and procure some suitably sized silicone spatulas!

BTW, the smoothie I made this morning was pretty amazing - but could still do with some tweaking.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 02:10:28 pm »
Welcome! We're all into tweaking!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand