Author Topic: Tips for converting recipes  (Read 63575 times)

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
Tips for converting recipes
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:25:15 am »
Many of my customers have been telling me that they are not confident when converting recipes for the TM. So I thought I would put together something to help them along and thought I would also share here.
Consultants feel free to pass this along to your customers also. (Acknowledgement would be appreciated however  :))

Converting recipes for the Thermomix involves a combination of trial and error and knowledge of what the machine can do. Once you become familiar with your Thermomix it is very easy. Here are some tips to help you convert your favourite recipes.

Read the whole recipe before you start and work out which ingredients you can chop or mix together.

Consider the order in which you need to chop or mix ingredients.
If you have ingredients which need to be finely chopped such as garlic, chilli, herbs, onion, do these first. You can then add any other ingredients which need a chunkier chop next. you may not necessarly have do things in the order of the original recipe.

Aim to save time where possible— The less times you have to wash the bowl the better. Eg grating cheese, grinding seeds and grains, making breadcrumbs can be done first and you don't have to wash the bowl before mincing, chopping, heating etc.

Some things always need to have a clean bowl eg
. Whipping egg whites or cream or making butter. You need to decide whether you can do these things first and set aside or add the other ingredients eg. Flour, sugar when making a cake OR are you going to mix, chop or melt first and then clean the bowl before whipping.

Use the recipes in the cookbooks as a guide.
Eg regardless of what casserole, pasta, risotto, soup, sauce you make the basic steps and order will always be the same. Chop, sauté, cook, puree if needed.

Less is best—If you are not sure how long to chop something for, chop for a few seconds at a time as you can always do it for longer. Use sound as a guide! As the pieces get smaller the sound of chopping decreases.

Speed can be important. Use your fridge magnet or the table in the front of your basic cookbook. Too fast or slow can result in an uneven chop. REMEMBER speed 4 is the maximum speed when you are using your butterfly.  Any faster and it may come off the blades and get chopped up.

Take notes
—I always have a scrap piece of paper or a pencil and measure cups measurements as weights. By recording the weight measurement of your ingredients and writing it next to the recipe, you can weigh straight into the bowl next time.

Trial and error—
Converting recipes doesn’t always go 100% smooth the first time. You can always adjust the order, mixing, chopping or cooking times next time you make the dish. Remember to take notes for future reference.

Be confident!
There is no such thing as a failure in the Thermomix! The worst that can happen is you forget to set the temperature or puree instead of chop. I have chopping failures but I just cook them up and give them to the dog or chooks or use as part of my vegie stock. Fruit can be used up in smoothies, juices or sorbets.

Happy converting!!
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline baf65

• View Profile
Re: Tips for converting recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:54:32 am »
great info, thanks!

Offline JM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 08:34:52 am »
Thanks for the tips, I'm sure they'll help.  I've had my machine for 14 months but only really used it in the last 7-8 months as I have become more confident and starting to convert recipes over.  The more I use it the more I want to do in it - I think I'm becoming addicited! ;D

Offline Ayla

• TM31
    • View Profile
    • Primal Home
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 05:36:35 am »
Thanks heaps! :D
DS homeborn September 07
DD homeborn September 10

Offline Afsana

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 08:44:06 am »
Hi I'm new to this forum, having purchased my TM31 not too long ago. Thanks muchly for the tips, all common sense, but sometimes they need to be reiterated.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 09:09:44 am »
Welcome - hope you find lots to help and help us lots.  :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 12:52:50 pm »
Those tips are exactly what I have been doing as I experiment with my recipes.  Excellent to have them all in one place.  I have gone through all our favourite recipes and am slowly "converting" them ready for trial  :)
Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 06:10:16 am »
Use the recipes in the cookbooks as a guide. [/b]Eg regardless of what casserole, pasta, risotto, soup, sauce you make the basic steps and order will always be the same. Chop, sauté, cook, puree if needed.

Just popped back in to say that this is probably the biggest tip that has worked for me.  I have amde my own cakes, risottos, pastas, meat dishes - and at all times, look at the everyday cookbook. 

EG: today I have made a chocolate cake.  Looked in the cookbook to see how long to mix all ingredients together.  In risotto, how long to cook the rice for, in the pasta sidh, if I add the pasta to the sauce - how long do I cook it for.

It is a great help in these situations  :)
Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 12:32:21 pm »
THANKS Riv_Mum can you let me know what you would like to be put on this for acknowledgement  as I WILL be passing this on to my customers it is really a great guide  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Cookie-la-la

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 02:37:16 am »
From a new owner, thank you, thank you!  I have been experimenting each day and converting some recipes from other books and using the edc method.  My demonstrator also told me a lot of her clients were getting bad results from packet mix cakes and she told them they are probably mixing them for too long and over working the gluten.  When I make cakes, I follow the method for the easy chocolate cake in the edc!

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 03:10:45 am »
Thank you very much, RivMum.  Your sharing is much appreciated.

I wanted to remind forum members also, that there are good tips in the TM31 manual on page 39, if you're an English speaker, under the following headings:

• Order of ingredients
  • Weighing the ingredients
  • Order of presetting
  • Example:  Cooking delicate food
  • Example:  Copping vegetables
  • Example:  Kneading dough
  • Chopping and blending
  • Heating times

A lot of people study their manual when they first buy the Thermomix but then forget what a treasure trove of helpful information it is.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 03:12:57 am by cecilia »
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution