Author Topic: Yay I made mayonnaise. After 3 failed attempts  (Read 12811 times)

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
Re: Yay I made mayonnaise. After 3 failed attempts
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 07:36:40 pm »
Ooh thanks for the honey instructions.  I often use balsamic vinegar in mine - there's a shop locally that sells flavoured balsamic vinegar so I have cranberry and a mango one.  Home-made mayo never gets boring but its great to pep it up from time to time - keeps the children interested.

There was some talk on the fat content higher up the thread but I have 2 very skinny children (a third not so skinny but not fat) so the high fat content is absolutely ideal for them.  I'm a firm believer in giving children a high fat diet - as long as its healthy fats, not transfats - as its crucial to brain development.

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 09:37:36 pm »
I agree about the fats, Nik - you need them for brain function!!  (That's my excuse, anyway!)  ;D  No, really, good fats are essential in the diet.  I eat lots of them, and I'm pretty skinny!
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 11:35:56 pm »
My concern about the fat in mayo is because I've lost 30 kg over the last 2 years and still have about 15 more to go to be in my healthy weight range . . . I love mayonnaise and thought it would be just too tempting. I would like to eat it with a spoon if I had my druthers!  Anyway, the rest of the family have voted for homemade mayo, so I guess I will just have to try and exercise moderation!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 12:14:10 am »
I make such small quantities of mayo at a time and when you think about how little you end up with, say if you have a salad with mayo for 6-8 people and a small amount of mayo on top, the amount you are getting is minimal. Also, the kids are getting some fish ie the anchovies I use as well as the egg and some olive oil as a bonus. My kids are thin as well so I figure they can afford to eat some fats, given that they don't eat too many other treats except for the odd piece of chocolate here and there and occasional cake or biscuits. They often prefer to eat a salad with some mayo on it or  as a dip with veggies, so I'd rather have them eat their vegetable sticks or salad with a little bit of mayonnaise than not eat vegetables at all.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 07:36:09 am »
Congratulations Lellyj. Put the mayonnaise up the back of the fridge so that you can't see it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 08:01:42 am »
My concern about the fat in mayo is because I've lost 30 kg over the last 2 years and still have about 15 more to go to be in my healthy weight range . . . I love mayonnaise and thought it would be just too tempting. I would like to eat it with a spoon if I had my druthers!  Anyway, the rest of the family have voted for homemade mayo, so I guess I will just have to try and exercise moderation!

You can make an low fat version by making the old fashioned boiled mayonnaise. I have the recipe here. Just leave out the oil or only add a tablespoon or two. The original recipe had no oil.

I prefer this mayo to all others and so do my family. I use it for all the salads I make with mayo and also mix it with yoghurt to make a sandwich/wrap mayo.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 01:35:12 pm »
Thank you Cookie--good suggestion--out of sight, out of mind and not on hips!

Thanks Meganjane, will definitely be trying this recipe, thank you so much!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 05:54:00 pm »
I know this sounds strange, but one of the best things about making the mayo, apart from the way homemade mayonnaise tastes, is the sloshing sound it makes in the TM before it emulsifies. I think it is very therapeutic! That doesn't mean, of course, that I make mayo all the time just to hear the sound though.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline pinkscrapbooker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 07:59:12 pm »
Nigella suggests putting the egg in the bowl and covering with hot water before you make your mayo, that way every thing is at a similar temp. This is particularly helpful in tas during the cool months, as the bowl can be quite cool at room temp.