Author Topic: Woolworths- $2 fruit & veggie bag bargain  (Read 12698 times)

Offline Carine

• View Profile
Woolworths- $2 fruit & veggie bag bargain
« on: September 19, 2011, 03:41:00 am »
I generally do my grocery shopping at Woolworths (in Tamworth) on Wednesdays afternoon (in between my sons music lessons) and we have been lucky to get a $2 veggie & fruit bag nearly every week.  Between 3.30 and 4 they bring out a trolley full of fruit and veg that are a bit passed their prime or slightly bruised.  You can fill up a bag with anything you like for $2.  We regularly leave woolie with a nice assortment- mushroom, ginger and fennel recently.
I was just wondering if the $2 bag was happening where you live too... 
Not a bad way for Woolworths to deal with their not so good looking fruit & veg  :)
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Woolworths- $2 fruit & veggie bag bargain
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 04:05:15 am »
Yes they do that in Tassie (Launceston) as well. But I have only ever been there 2 times when they have it. I grabbed a bag full of goodies. Was great.

Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 04:14:11 am »
Only managed it once about 1 year ago, it was $1 then, inflation....
Hally :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 06:51:18 am »
We have it in Melbourne where I live but no idea what day/time they do it. I've been lucky a couple of times.

Offline Red Kell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 07:11:13 am »
We live in Karratha, WA, (think desert in woop woop!). They don't do anything like that here  :-[ All the fruit and veg we get (only woolies and coles to choose from, no vege shop) is past its prime and generally crappy, and they charge us more for it than metro! So sad  :'( :'(

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 08:10:45 am »
Up here in the country they just put out big bags of fruit and vegies with a very cheap price on them.  I often buy a bag or two,  then rush home and look at the forum to see what I can make.  Usually have in mind something that I can add to it from the garden or fridge. 

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 09:33:11 am »
Yes they do it at my woolies in vic park WA. I might ask if it is a regular thing so I know when to go shopping ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 12:41:01 pm »
Looks like it's a regular thing in most woolies then.  Just a matter to be there at the right time...

Red Kell, we have friends who live in the mining town of Cobar and haven't got much of a fresh fruit & veg supply- must be tough  :-\  Can you grow a few herbs?  How do you deal with limited access to "fresh" products? 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 01:05:10 pm »
I must keep my eyes open for this.
Red Kell we passed Karratha yesterday. We only stopped at the truck stop to get diesel though. I should have waved. ;)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Red Kell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 02:49:50 pm »
Where are you off to Cookie? Great time for travelling up here, the weathers fab :)

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 04:35:29 pm »
I got some at my woolies in Mandurah too. I have missed you all, been to Goodwood  revival,what a hoot( must confess to not really looking forward to a car race,loved it. It was like going back in time). Now we are in Lancaster going on a canal boat. No meals to rave about,miss Thermie but have purchased F&E and DD,so can drool over what I will make later.
Denise

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 12:01:49 pm »
yes woolies at bussellton  WA
have it to but not at the same time each week
  have been lucky  twice now  to get a bag

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 12:05:23 pm »
I got some at my woolies in Mandurah too. I have missed you all, been to Goodwood  revival,what a hoot( must confess to not really looking forward to a car race,loved it. It was like going back in time). Now we are in Lancaster going on a canal boat. No meals to rave about,miss Thermie but have purchased F&E and DD,so can drool over what I will make later.

If you can't have the TMX with you on holidays the next best thing is having some new recipe books to browse  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Red Kell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 01:18:09 am »
Looks like it's a regular thing in most woolies then.  Just a matter to be there at the right time...

Red Kell, we have friends who live in the mining town of Cobar and haven't got much of a fresh fruit & veg supply- must be tough  :-\  Can you grow a few herbs?  How do you deal with limited access to "fresh" products? 

Sorry Carine, I didn't even notice this, wasn't trying to be rude! I imagine they have it worse in Cobar than we do, but it does try my patience sometimes! What I can grow up here is a bit limited due to the heat. I have lots of tomatoes, and have just planted some basic herbs and some lettuce. (Lettuce is the worst up here, when you buy it it is already limp and browning, and really dear) I can't wait till I can start picking them! I have also planted a passionfruit vine, Plus Mango, Orange, Lemon and Mandarin trees. Will be a year or two before the trees fruit tho :(  In the meantime my Mum in Perth has citrus trees, so when I visit I bring a heap back up with me, then freeze for later use. The one thing I really miss about Perth is the vege markets :(

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 02:01:33 am »
Not a pb Red Kell  :) 
Sounds like anything mediterranean would grow where you live...as long as you have enough water  :-\
I'm just back from my veggie patch - main planting season here.  Can't wait for summer veg!