Author Topic: Chapati- indian flat bread  (Read 12252 times)

Offline Carine

• View Profile
Chapati- indian flat bread
« on: August 24, 2011, 01:55:10 am »
I made chapatis a few times using a mix of wholemeal and plain flour but I was never quite satisfied with the result, until I finally found some atta flour.  This flour truly makes the difference:  nice elastic dough that puffs beautifully.  The recipe below is very similar to the "Indian flat bread" recipe in the Travelling with Thermomix cookbook.

Ingredients
250g atta flour
110g water
20g sunflower oil
1/4tsp salt

Method
Place all ingredients into mixing bowl, knead 1.30mn *: ::
Form dough into a bowl, place into a bowl grease with oil and let rest for at least 30mn.

Divide dough in balls size of a golf ball.  Scatter a little flour on your work bench. Roll each ball using a well floured rolling pin.  Chapati should be about 15 to 20cm in diameter and very thin.

Cook chapatis as soon as they're rolled:
- in a nonstick frying pan
- or on the BBQ!

We had a bonfire last Saturday night and cooked chapatis on the BBQ, to go with a spicy pumpkin soup.  They puffed beautifully -just make sure your BBQ is hot enough.  I had doubled the quantities and we fed a crowd of friends  :)  Enjoy!

Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Re: Chapati- indian flat bread
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 02:52:18 am »
My kids and husband bought some atta flour while I was away last week because Jimmy form the last season of Masterchef has bought his own brand out in the supermarket so we will give these a try.

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 01:13:39 pm »
Thanks Carine. I too bought Jimmy's Atta flour and have been meaning to try it out. I've got no excuse now!
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 11:55:36 pm »
Jimmy was a popular Masterchef contestant :)  The good thing is that it helps people familiarising themselves with Indian cuisine and products.  Now that I had a go at using atta flour for chapatis I'll have to try it for naan...
Have fun making chapatis jkmt and Wonder!
Wonder, if your kids are like mine they'll love the elasticity of the dough:  playdough like  :D
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 08:51:16 am »
Is there one particular supermarket that is stocking atta flour? Love both naan bread and chapati and would like to give this a go with the right flour.

Offline O4aTimtam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 01:44:36 pm »
After seeing this thread had a look in the flour aisle at Coles tonight.  They had "Jimmy's Atta flour" in a clear plastic jar, but I could only see wholemeal.  Probably a silly question, but does it only come in wholemeal?  Thanks  :D

PS  Actually think I've just answered my own quesiton thanks to "Uncle Google"  http://www.arta.net.au/

PPS Says its available at Coles, Bi-Lo, Woolworths and Safeway
Helen from Willetton, Western Australia   |

Offline Tam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 08:26:16 pm »
Great bread! Thanks so much - have used it several times, with and without Atta flour and it works well both ways  :)

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 02:21:55 am »
I make chapatis using the method in "Fast and Easy Indian Cooking" (fanstastic TMX cookbook from Janie Turner, director of Thermomix UK!) ... I won't repeat the full recipe here because that wouldn't be right, but on the subject of flour, just wanted to say: when Chapatti flour is unavailable, Janie recommends using wholemeal flour and whizzing it first to a finer consistency (1 min/sp. 10). I have used this method and it works like a charm! Also have used spelt flour and a combination of spelt and wholemeal. Nice dough every time ;-)
ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com