Author Topic: Choux Pastry Review- p119 Australian Everyday cooking  (Read 9394 times)

Offline Carine

• View Profile
Choux Pastry Review- p119 Australian Everyday cooking
« on: July 03, 2011, 01:43:34 am »
I've always cooked my choux using the traditional method (stove top & pan) and thought I would see how it went in the TMX.
The recipe I use matched the Aussie cookbook for the ingredients:  exactly the same proportions (250g water + pinch salt + 100g butter + 150g PF + 4 eggs)
I did a few thing differently when preparing the choux pastry:

- Preheat oven to 220C
- Place water, salt and butter into TM bowl and cook for 6mn at 100C on speed 2- MC off- the main thing is to keep an eye on when the water & butter will come to boiling point.
- Add the flour and mix for 40s on speed 4- the pastry need to form a ball.
- Let dough cool down a bit- 5mn is enough
- Add eggs to the mixture by dropping one egg at a time onto rotating blades for 40s or more on speed 5- until you end up with a nice glossy ball.  If you use large eggs you may only need 3 eggs:   keep an eye on how the dough is "absorbing" each egg.
- Let dough cool down a little before spooning on a tray lined with baking paper.  For "perfect" choux pipe the mix!  You should end up with 15 middle size choux.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5mn, then lower down the temperature to 200C and cook for another 25mn.  DO NOT open the oven door or choux may not rise properly.   The only time I open the oven door is a few minutes before the end when I lower the oven temperature to 180C and stick a spoon in to maintain the door slightly open (this allows the choux to finish cooking without deflating).  I leave the choux in the oven even after it's turned off so that they finish "drying".  Choux should be golden and "crisp" all over and completely cool before you fill them.  I guess the cooking time depends on what type of oven you use.

I fill my choux with cold creme patissiere to which I've added rhum or grand-marnier.  Then I make a toffee that I drizzle on the choux just before serving (that's the way I used to purchase them when I was living in France).
Sorry I haven't got a photo to add:  my boys jumped on the final product  :D
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
Re: Choux Pastry Review- p119 Australian Everyday cooking
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 02:05:32 am »
Thank you for putting so much detail into your method. I have always let my choux dry in the oven like you and have found the method where they scoop out the inside (ala margaret fulton) doesn't work as well. Very well done!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 03:05:55 am »
Carine, I wasn't happy with the EDC recipe either so set about converting my own. last time i made them I used bakers flour with very good results also.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 03:08:06 am by CreamPuff63 »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline petit4s

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 03:18:05 am »
I've always wondered what the best flour to use was, so thank you, CP!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 04:30:25 am »
Ooh, that's a great hint CP63. Thanks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 06:15:25 am »
Thank you for putting so much detail into your method. I have always let my choux dry in the oven like you and have found the method where they scoop out the inside (ala margaret fulton) doesn't work as well. Very well done!

Thanks. I agree Thermohaven:  scooping out the choux sounds a bit brutal!  :D

Quote from: CreamPuff63
link=topic=6611.msg86826#msg86826 date=1309658755
Carine, I wasn't happy with the EDC recipe either so set about converting my own. last time i made them I used bakers flour with very good results also.
The quantity used in the EDC cookbook are the same as the recipe handed out to me by a lovely old lady, so I guess that appealed to me for sentimental reasons  :)  I like the idea of using recipes that have a "link"/ a persobnal memory, and I can still picture this tiny little lady cooking in her old farmhouse in the mountains, a few km away from where my parents live in France...

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 10:46:05 am »
I don't think you can go past CP63's recipe.  I have had great success with it and wouldn't consider any other.

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 12:13:52 am »
Just reviewing the EDC choux recipe...

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 12:48:28 am »
Carine,  memories are so important with food.  it is just that If I find a really good recipe, that has converted well to TMX, I tend to stick with it.  Bit pig headed I know.  I then like to move on and try something different.. Keep up the good work reviewing EDC recipes.

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 01:04:25 am »
All good achookwoman  :)

Bonsai

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 01:40:44 pm »
I think I did a bit of a mix of Carine and CP63's recipes - the temperature for cooking seems to depend a lot on the personality of the oven!  I took half of the finished dough out of the thermomix then mixed some grated gruyere cheese and fresh thyme through the rest - ended up with 7 eclairs and 8 gougeres - crispy and quite delicious (DH reckons they're the best we've eaten since the sinful ones in the cake shops in St Kilda in Melbourne).

Spread eclairs with some melted chocolate mixed with a blob of coconut oil (no copha in the house) and served the gougeres plain - a recent recipe in Gourmet Traveller suggests filling them with whipped goat's curd, but of course not something I keep in the fridge for emergencies....  Would definitely make again, so thanks to CP63 and Carine for encouraging us  :D

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 02:04:55 pm »
Bonsai, your gougeres and eclairs sounds delicious!  I haven't made gougeres for a while...  One of my aunties had once made some in which she had put whole little goat cheeses- served with salad greens as a starter...  Now you're the one inspiring me ;)

Bonsai

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 02:21:28 pm »
Here is the recipe which inspired me. I had some gruyere which was begging to be given a kind send-off, so this was it!  I think that using other tasty chesses such as parmesan would work as well.   

I expect that filling them just before serving with any light mousse-like mix would be nice - fixh or chicken based or tomato/basil or maybe some creamed blue cheese, or Helene's torta mascarpone. Will have to get to the gym more often to justify all the 'experimenting'  ;)