Author Topic: Hello from a French-Autralian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)  (Read 7183 times)

Offline Carine

• View Profile
Hello all,
I'm having a Thermomix demo tomorrow afternoon and I can't wait to see it in action again!  My sister-in-law has one and after seeing what it could do I just need to have another look to take the plunge!!  I LOOOVE cooking and I think the Thermomix could make a nice addition to my kitchen. 
We (hubby, 2 sons and I) live on a farm and I really enjoy cooking on our slow-combustion stove in winter: nothing beats a slow-cooked stew!
We grow most of our own fruit & veg, have ducks & chooks for eggs, lambs and steers for meat.  Life is good :)
I grew up in France and learnt how to cook by watching and helping my grannies & mum.  I moved to Australia in 1995 and haven't looked back- such a beautiful country!
Anyway this looks like a very friendly forum and I look forward to contibute with a few posts!
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from a French-Autralian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 12:41:35 am »
Hi Carine and welcome to the forum.  You sound pretty self-sufficient on your farm so the thermomix would be a great asset to have in your kitchen.  From making jams with all your excess fruit to fresh bread - you will have it made. Have a browse and check out some of the things we cook from scratch - things most of us never did before TMX.  If you are looking for a use for a vegie, fruit etc just google for example 'apricot recipes in the thermomix' and you will find plenty of things to do with all that fruit - you will find recipes from this forum and people's personal blogs. That is the quickest way I find to get a recipe. If you love cooking now, you will love it even more once you become a Thermomix owner.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 12:54:54 am »
Thanks for all your tips Judydawn.  I do preserve/ freeze the fruit & veg we can't eat fresh.  My boys have already started thinking about all the sorbets they could make with the Thermomix... :D  and it's only one of the selling point!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 10:40:09 am »
Hi Carine and welcome to the forum.I hope you have a great demo tomorrow afternoon and take the plunge and buy a TM.You certainly won't regret it and will have great fun cooking. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:40:05 pm »
Hi Carine and welcome to the forum

Im a Franco-Australienne and did the opposite and moved to France from oz in 2000 and never looked back although wasnt always easy.  I also spent alot of my schooling years in Tamworth so know it well.. but not originally from there.  I hope you get back to France now and then to see your family.  As far as the Thermomix goes you will not regret it...best purchase ever made imo.  Also if your interested in the french thx books you can purchase them from the french website or contact them directly...and also the french recipe site...advantage of being multilingual I guess just means that many more recipes at your fingertips  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 01:48:19 am »
Hi Carine,

welcome to the forum, enjoy your demo and believe me you will not regret purchasing a TMX, mind you I have only had mine for one week and two days LOL!

But last night I was late getting dinner on for the tribe and decided a quick soup was in order as I had some rolls already made, well...20 minutes later gorgeous pumpkin soup on the table.

Sharon 
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 01:37:26 am »
Hi Carine and welcome to the forum and the world of this amazing kitchen miracle. You will certainly be able to use all the fresh ingredients at your disposal having thermie - so pleased that you have joined us!  :)  :)   :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 08:43:42 am »
Welcome Carine. With all that lovely fresh food available it sounds as though the Thermomix is made for you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 09:01:37 am »
Thanks all for your words of encouragement.  And,  YES:  I've taken the plunge !
We had our demo yesterday afternoon.  Our lovely consultant kindly agreed to use some of our homegrown products, so we had a persimmon sorbet, bread rolls with pumpkin soup, mushroom risotto and a lime custard to finish.  All beautiful of course...
I'd done a bit of research and it's a shame we can't take advantage of the strong Aussie dollar to purchase a European Thermomix (warranty issues).  Oh well, our Aussie ordered Thermomix will hopefully arrive next week-end.  In the meantime I'll just have to check out a few recipes. 
Thanks Frozzie for the idea about the French Thermomix recipes- already checked ;)  What a coincidence that we have swapped spots :)
I'll probably start with basic things to gain confidence and see how to operate everything.  But I'm looking forward to adapt my own recipes/tweak others.  So much playtime ahead!

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 09:42:45 am »
How wonderful to have a persimmon in your garden - brings back many childhood memories for me as we always had one - yummmmmm.  :)  :)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 09:52:14 am »
hi carine
probably best anyway that your warranty is local but with current exchange rates most items are slightly cheaper over here at the moment..I think they must have priced the oz items at a time when the dollar was quite bad and have always kept them the same!  and yes a funny cooincidence we have kind of swapped spots...is your hubby local? Where abouts in France are you from? oh and bonne fete!  Enjoying a lovely mothers day here in France...!

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 02:14:22 pm »
I hope that you have a lovely Mother's day Frozzie - given that you are about to begin your special day.  Hope the spring day is perfect for you and your family.  :)  :)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 07:00:02 pm »
I hope that you have a lovely Mother's day Frozzie - given that you are about to begin your special day.  Hope the spring day is perfect for you and your family.  :)  :)

thanks robyn..had a gorgeous day...ended this afternoon helping out at a kids bday party of all things but all went very well and DH has been busy all day doing everything for me so ive been lapping that up  ;D ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 12:22:35 am »
That's good to hear Frozzie, take it whilst you can  ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 01:10:46 am »
Welcome Carine.

Belated Happy Mothers  Day to all those who celebrated yesterday.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.